Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times

Advertisements

Just got a '97 Ford Mustang, and the headlight lamp knob falls off. The main stalk is still attached somewhere underneath the panel. How do I install a new one? I ordered a brand new knob, complete with stalk and everything. Do I need to take the panel completely off?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I had a '79 Ford that the same thing happened to.

I reached my hand up behind the dash and the headlight switch had a little spring-loaded button on it. I pressed the little button and it released the old switch stalk and I pulled it out. Stuck the new one in the hole and heard a click...job completed.

I have no idea if a '97 switch uses this type of arrangement....but I'd feel around back there to see.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Not familar with this vehical, but if the switch is dash mounted most shafts have a flat spot, and inside the knob there is a slightly curved flat spring. If all you need is the knob on there a new one with the spring is all you need to push it on.

If the switch is bad then it must come out to be replaced. If the knob yuou have is ok and just missing the spring, you might make one of common metal straping used to tie shipments of metals, and other items, a common blue straping, you would trim and bend slightly to install in the knob.

If this is a rotary switch on the steering columb everything I said is wrong, and you have to probably replace the whole unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive