Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:42 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,525 times

Advertisements

Just picked the new car up today and everything about it is vastly improved over the original design in pretty much every way. So far I'm absolutely loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 AM

Here are a few pics I snapped in the garage tonight. The old SF is still there because I'm meeting up with the prospective buyer on Monday. Hopefully it's a quick sale.

As you can tell, there is virtually NOTHING the new one shares in common with the old one other than the name.

It's really not as brown as these pictures make it look. For the most part it looks black with just a splash of brown and if you ask me, it's so much better than the beige leather.

A household style plug in the cargo area!! Not sure what I'll use this for. onder:

Call me old-fashioned but I insisted on no navigation. I have no use for it and I prefer a simple screen and physical buttons. It's just easier....

I am really going to keep the mileage down on this girl; aiming for 10,000 to 12,000 a year.

They did a really good job with the fake wood if you ask me...

I just love this screen. When I revert to manual control the system likes to switch to recirculate for some reason so I just leave it on auto now and it works just fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Regarding the household socket in the back: I know BMW used to (not sure if they do anymore) put a socket there in their 3 series touring models (wagons), because traveling salesmen used them (Germany), and would sometimes sleep in the back (thus also a ridge on the back of the back seats, which worked as a pillow), the socket was for reading light, beardtrimmer/shaver, coffee etc.

EDIT: Also, you have a seriously clean garage!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
EDIT: Also, you have a seriously clean garage!
I just bought a 2010 Santa Fe yesterday but you're right, the garage impressed me more!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 AM

563 posts, read 929,679 times
The electrical outlet in the rear seat area probably means it came with a built-in power inverter. Pretty neat, actually.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
There was slop in the internal coupling inside the case.

I'm not sure what poor service you guys are referring to, either. In the six years and 146,000 miles we only had to replace the following...in no particular order:

• Radio (warranty)
  • Rear wiper arm (warranty)
  • Power steering reservoir
  • Radiator
  • One battery
  • One alternator
  • Only two sets of brake pads (got 77,000 miles out of the last set)
  • Two sets of front rotors
  • One set of rear rotors
  • Left rear trailing arm bushing
And as far as I know, that is it and most of those items are simple wear and tear pieces. Find me another car with 150,000 that hasn't had at least one of those bits replaced. Like I said, the car never needed to be towed and through all that I had to add a half quart of oil once in between changes. Compare that to my mom's Lexus which has burned up well over $10,000 in off-warranty repairs including a new transmission, I think the Santa Fe did very well for herself. It was because of the positive experience that I chose to go back. There is no such thing as a perfect car but for the price, the new SF really can't be beat.
So why was there slop in the internal coupling? Lack of lube, normal end of life failure, or what? *This* item going out after 146K is what I am talking about in terms of poor service. It seems you didn't dig to the bottom of what was wrong, just let the dealer steer you into buying a new unit.

The only true repair item I see that you didn't get on warrenty is the alternator, which may or may not have been just a set of brushes.

10K in repairs to a Lexus is insane.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So why was there slop in the internal coupling? Lack of lube, normal end of life failure, or what? *This* item going out after 146K is what I am talking about in terms of poor service. It seems you didn't dig to the bottom of what was wrong, just let the dealer steer you into buying a new unit.
The transfer case seal started seeping several years ago but we kept eye on it and the fluid never got low. The coupling was simply worn out and I had been planning on buying a new car within the next year anyway. The transfer case wearing out pushed me over the edge to bite the bullet and make the new purchase. I don't let dealers push me into anything I don't want.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
There was slop in the internal coupling inside the case.

I'm not sure what poor service you guys are referring to, either. In the six years and 146,000 miles we only had to replace the following...in no particular order:

• Radio (warranty)
  • Rear wiper arm (warranty)
  • Power steering reservoir
  • Radiator
  • One battery
  • One alternator
  • Only two sets of brake pads (got 77,000 miles out of the last set)
  • Two sets of front rotors
  • One set of rear rotors
  • Left rear trailing arm bushing
And as far as I know, that is it and most of those items are simple wear and tear pieces. Find me another car with 150,000 that hasn't had at least one of those bits replaced. Like I said, the car never needed to be towed and through all that I had to add a half quart of oil once in between changes. Compare that to my mom's Lexus which has burned up well over $10,000 in off-warranty repairs including a new transmission, I think the Santa Fe did very well for herself. It was because of the positive experience that I chose to go back. There is no such thing as a perfect car but for the price, the new SF really can't be beat.
Wow, that's a lot of replacement/maintenance in 6 years. I've had vehicles that hit a lot higher than 150,000 miles that didn't even approach that kind of maintenance.

1997 Ford Mustang I replaced the clutch at 120,000. Traded it off at 190,000 with no further major maintenance.

2001 Toyota 4Runner, traded off at 140,000, but never had any major maintenance issues with it. Period.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new car.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Wow, that's a lot of replacement/maintenance in 6 years. I've had vehicles that hit a lot higher than 150,000 miles that didn't even approach that kind of maintenance.

1997 Ford Mustang I replaced the clutch at 120,000. Traded it off at 190,000 with no further major maintenance.

2001 Toyota 4Runner, traded off at 140,000, but never had any major maintenance issues with it. Period.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new car.
That doesn't seem like a lot of repairs to me and I drive Honda's and Toyota's.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
That doesn't seem like a lot of repairs to me and I drive Honda's and Toyota's.
Are you talking about my examples or the OP's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive