Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times

Advertisements

I know a few weeks ago I posted a pretty healthy rant about Hyundai and as it turns out, much of the information I've been receiving is coming from a rather vocal minority. I've spoken to several dealer service departments in regards to the 2010 Santa Fe transmissions and only one has seen a car for issues related to that. His problem was due to low fluid and once the fluid was topped off, the problem went away. I also figured if Hyundai was selling 7,500 of these cars a month, we'd be hearing something if they were all loaded with defective transmissions.

My 2004 Santa Fe went into the shop today to look at a clunk in the driveshaft and it turns out she needs a $3,700 transfer case as well as a $400 trailing arm bushing. I have been putting more and more money into this car as it gets older (almost 146,000 miles) and finally shelved my emotions and decided it was time to send her on to greener pastures. It simply isn't worth putting four grand into a car that's barely worth six. I test drove a new Santa Fe today and fell in love with it so we talked turkey with the dealer and tonight I signed the papers for a brand new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited FWD in Harbor Gray Metallic.

Because of the popularity of the new Sonata, Santa Fe production suffered and as a result there is a severe shortage of them. Santa Fe production has since been shifted to the Kia plant in Georgia but it will take time to pick up the slack. Mine will be coming in from Seattle on Saturday and is actually the very last Santa Fe Limited left in the Pacific NW...that's how hard they are to find. Needless to say I'm very excited as this is the first car I've gotten to pick and choose and it's exactly what I want.

I'll post some photos when she arrives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post

My 2004 Santa Fe went into the shop today to look at a clunk in the driveshaft and it turns out she needs a $3,700 transfer case as well as a $400 trailing arm bushing. I have been putting more and more money into this car as it gets older (almost 146,000 miles) and finally shelved my emotions and decided it was time to send her on to greener pastures. It simply isn't worth putting four grand into a car that's barely worth six. I test drove a new Santa Fe today and fell in love with it so we talked turkey with the dealer and tonight I signed the papers for a brand new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited FWD in Harbor Gray Metallic.
If i had all those problems with that model i sure wouldnt be buying another one,in fact i question some of your previous repairs as a worn U-Joint could have given you the same slack in your drive line,
New transfer case????, i suspect this dealer will be charging you for all manner of repairs once your new Hyundai goes off warranty.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i had all those problems with that model i sure wouldnt be buying another one,in fact i question some of your previous repairs as a worn U-Joint could have given you the same slack in your drive line,
New transfer case????, i suspect this dealer will be charging you for all manner of repairs once your new Hyundai goes off warranty.
Honestly those were the most expensive repairs we ever faced. Most of the money put into it was maintenance. The check engine light never came on, it never had to be towed and not once failed to start. 150,000 miles in 6 years is a LOT of driving and I honestly can say it was a great car and I'll miss it.

I'm hoping the new one will be even better. Thanks for the congrats.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
I think you did well. 150 k is a pretty long life.. Congrats on the new car!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times
Congrats on the new car. 25k+ miles a year on any car for 6 years with no major problems is always nice.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Congrats. There are always people who have issues, heck the Fusion and Escape have known and far more widespread transmission issues, but they still sell like hotcakes. I don't think you had a bad run in your previous car, so good for you sticking with a brand that treated you well.

This reminds me of my sister, but for the opposite reason. She had a GMC Jimmy that she bought brand new a little over 15 years ago. She drives HARD in North Jersey / New York City traffic. In 15 years of ownership and almost 200k miles, she did nothing but routine maintenance items. About 3 months ago she was t-boned on the drivers side in an intersection. The truck flipped did a 360 and she came to rest in the median. She suffered...no injuries. She calls me and says she just got a new Honda Pilot, because domestics are junk.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Congrats on the newbie! Can't wait to see pics!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Congrats. There are always people who have issues, heck the Fusion and Escape have known and far more widespread transmission issues, but they still sell like hotcakes. I don't think you had a bad run in your previous car, so good for you sticking with a brand that treated you well.

This reminds me of my sister, but for the opposite reason. She had a GMC Jimmy that she bought brand new a little over 15 years ago. She drives HARD in North Jersey / New York City traffic. In 15 years of ownership and almost 200k miles, she did nothing but routine maintenance items. About 3 months ago she was t-boned on the drivers side in an intersection. The truck flipped did a 360 and she came to rest in the median. She suffered...no injuries. She calls me and says she just got a new Honda Pilot, because domestics are junk.
obviously brainwashed by someone lol

Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
obviously brainwashed by someone lol
It takes time for perception to catch up to reality. Hyundai has been making great cars since about 2002 but the ignorant still think it's a crap car. Domestic manufacturers really did make garbage for a long time but over the past four or five years they have drastically turned things around and I can now recommend some domestic vehicles to others. It will take time for public perception to catch on.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
OMYGAWD! We have the same sister!!!! My sis also had a GMC Jimmy. It was 1998 and it was 2 years old when she bought it. The previous owner had pampered it as it was very well cared for and low miles. That was the last good years for that car after it fell into my sisters hands. My sis didn't put many miles on it either as her commute roundtrip daily was about 5 miles. However, her husband drove it long distance to attend his alumni college football & basketball games every weekend. Neither of them know flip about cars. She barely changed the oil. Change filters, NAH! That is just money wasted. The windshield wipers were worn to threads and she blamed GM! She called ME to come get her one morning in the pouring rain as they stopped working and she STILL blamed the GM. All it had was a blown fuse that I changed in 10 seconds. Tires, who needs tires w/ treads on them (I'm not kidding). Better yet, she drove home from my house over 25 miles w/ a FLAT! She would not even stop and put air in it before getting on the highway (she needed to put some more air in her head ). The paint.... oh dear. They planted a BIG bush right next to the driveway at the entrance to the garage that they never trimmed and she had to scrap against it going in and out. It tore up the paint on that side of the car and she called the car "junk" because of it. She kept saying over and over to us she would NEVER buy another GM product because this car was JUNK!!!! At least your sister did do some routine maintenance as mine did not.
She sold it a year ago. She now drives a Lexus........... I have not seen it in awhile but the bush is still there and neither still know flip about cars.

Good luck on the new purchase. Cars can last a long time if they are well cared for. We have a 98 Chevy P/U w/ over 150K miles still going strong and a 2002 Suburban w/ 110K miles that has never had any issues at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive