U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
to have me leave the car overnight in which case he said he could definitely do it but it would be too inconvenient and a hassle for me back and forth to the office

i'll try again tomorrow

I only like Midas because i get lifetime waranteed parts at no charge and only pay labor and keep going back for waranteed brakes, muffler, shocks, struts, when they go bad
Well, think about it, you could get a cab or just walk home and take a cab in the morning. Like you I don't like to let stuff get right down to the wire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,530,749 times
Default $$$

too tight lately and the walk is almost 4 miles. could do public transit but it takes too long and is unpleasant

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Default guys guess what

Joe did it again the Old Yankee Tercel passed again for the 5th year in a row. He had the car in the garage with the lights on at about 2:30 PM. when i came out 2 hours later it was parked in the lot and i thought oh God it failed because he always parks finished cars on the street instead. i looked at the tag and it said the expiration date was 10/2/11 so i knew it just squeaked thru

when i went in to pay ($150 includes the $37 for the inspection plus tax) he told me it's a shame because the rest of the car runs great even with 130 grand on it. he says it pays to keep it as long as i'm not putting in more than $1000 in repairs on it because a new or used one will be costly due to insurance (I live in an area with a high theft/break in rate)

i just replaced the battery, brakes, i could always get the struts/shocks replaced since they're under Midas warranty

i can start worrying again after labor Day of next year!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Good deal.

From what you wrote, apparently if you passed "with flying colors" you would have got a sticker good for more than just one year?

Ask this guy which gas (HC, NOX, CO) it's worst on. How much oil does it use? How old is the head gasket? Reason I ask all this is if you are still on your original head gasket it's probably not going to last a whole lot longer. If you are having problems with oil burning, probably a new set of valve guide seals would help, pulling the head off and doing the seals, replacing the gasket (probably to the tune of about a grand) *might* have it in good shape to go a long while more.

Actually 130K on a Toy of this era is not a lot or unusual (although your NYC miles are "heavier" than my BFE miles). I had the head off my Camry at 160K, the cylinder bores looked brand new.

Anyway congratulations, be sure to bring Joe a box of donuts.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Default I think he

replaced those valve guide seals in 2006 i think he charged me $60 for it does that sound right?

History:

car is a 1992

car has been burning oil since 1998

the car made it's first major trip from NY to Savannah(1700 miles rt) in 1992.

between 93-97, all city/open road NY City area driving, no long trips

in summer 97 made another trip to Savannah

in early 98 at inspection time car failed emissions test, needed new O2 sensor and it passed(courtesy of my first meeting Joe Torre). wondered if the big trip taxed the car since it is after all a subcompact

in 98 in the summer made a big trip from NY to Birmingham to Savannah back to NY. On the way home in Richmond Va oil light came on.

crankcase was bone dry. hotel clerk assisted me in filling up oil (i was lazy in those days because the car never gave me any trouble prior). that was in early September

Around Halloween time, oil light came on again. Discussed problem with Toyota they said all i have to do is keep topping it off and keep oil in the car. they were right

Last long trip with car was from NY to Atlanta Savannah then back to NY in 1999. I don't think the car burned any oil during that trip

been topping off since 2000

After 1999 it was all local NY city area city/open road driving

Due to the car's condition (leaning over on one side tho you can't see it from the outside) the car has not been on the open road since 2006

In the early part of the 2000 decade it would need topping off maybe once a month. Now it's like every 2 weeks.

he mentioned NOX I believe was the problem in the past

nah, whether the car barely squeaks through or it passes immediately the inspection is good only for a year(they give you a 10 day grace period hence the 10/2011 expiration)

of course, NY State is making us pay for new license plates that are blue/orange as they were back in the 70's so it's going to cost more to renew the registration because we have to buy the new plates. it's a 2 year renewal so it costs more.not looking fwd to it but at least i can renew without a problem.

and they are changing the "font" on the street marker signs, giving them a more pointilliste script look. yeah it does look more attractive than block letters, but i would assume we are paying taxes for this silly stuff

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM

OK, I remember all that. The leaning just about has to be springs or a bent suspension mounting point, may or may not be worth fixing.

You ought to ask what the test results were, Joe Torre ought to be able to print it out. See how close to the edge you are.

NOX is the hardest to fix, although a new catalyst may be all you need. IIRC to meet spec on NOX you have to be dead on, neither rich nor lean on mixture, and the cat has to be working right.

Keep in mind that if the car runs well but won't SMOG, you can sell it to someone out of state where they don't have SMOG.

I doubt you got new valve seals (engine intake and exhaust valve stem seals) installed for $60.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Default he never gives me the results

but of course he puts what counts right on the windshield. When it failed in 2004 at Midas I think it was high on Nitrogen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive