U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 AM

165 posts, read 300,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just make sure that the dealer you go to is a "purchasing center". If they are only a "trade in" center, they won't honor the price unless you are buying another car.

Generally as long as you answered all the questions honestly they won't move from the quoted price. I've had a couple friends use it and they liked the service and were given exactly what was quoted. It was a big relief for many of them to be going in knowing what their trade was worth.
I used this service with my honda at a VW dealership that was close to being off lease. It was a car I wasn't using. They gave me the quoted price from the web site that I pulled up with no problems. The price they gave me was more then my buy out. It actually took me a little off guard since after they looked at my car they just started filling out the paperwork and asked me if I needed a ride home. The only thing you might have to wait for is if you to not have the title in hand you have to wait for them to get the title before you get your check. That also went very smooth since they paid Honda Financial and Honda sent me the check and a release.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM

711 posts, read 1,127,955 times
Good to hear of folks having good experiences with this.

In 1994 we sold a Honda Accord wagon back to the original dealer after three years.... it enabled us to get a downpayment for a house. I think we paid $18K for the car originally, and they gave us a flat $10,000 with no hassles to repurchase it. Probably was a fair deal. There wasn't as much information available at the time (no internet to do research or to help a private sale happen.) We also lived in an area where our car was unusual. People around us drove Fords and Chevy's and didn't appreciate the value of a Honda. I think I did the best I could on that deal.

A few years ago I tried getting a fair trade-in price for a 2002 Grand Prix GTP. High mileage, about 110K, but the body was in great shape and it didn't have any mechanical problems. CarMax treated me rudely, and when I pushed to talk to a manager after getting past their first line of idiots, he did the estimate and said he would give me $200. Then he tried to make me feel stupid for not taking it.

I ended up selling that car to a private party for $2,900.

It should have been worth more, but I don't think people had a lot of faith in GM vehicles at that point.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM

41 posts, read 26,964 times
Does anyone know if these dealers charge extra fees? ie The salesmen offers me 3k for the car but then tacks on cleaning fees, handling fees, etc and I walk away with 500 less...of something like that.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,004,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmonkey View Post
Does anyone know if these dealers charge extra fees? ie The salesmen offers me 3k for the car but then tacks on cleaning fees, handling fees, etc and I walk away with 500 less...of something like that.
Some of them will, it depends on the dealer, though.

But if you're trading the car in to buy another car, they will probably just find a way to tack fees onto the purchase of the car instead of the trade in.

If you're selling, it's likely they will try to tack on a fee.

Remember, they're in it to make money, not be your friend or do you a favor.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

2,338 posts, read 1,707,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmonkey View Post
Bring your lube...

Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
Default Depends on the dealer buying the car

The price you will get will obviously be lower than selling privately but will also depend on the type of dealer that is making an offer to buy your car.

For example a main franchise dealer will have a different level of preparation they require to retail the car on to an approved standard than a independent dealer so you really should spend some time shopping around.

There are lots of car buying sites you can use on the net that will give you a valuation for your car but be warned many of these are well known for reducing the price when you actually visit them to complete the deal. Also these types of company usually buy to sell on again to motor dealers so they are obviously taking a cut as well. You can try a comparison website like dealerbid.co.uk which will help you compare offers from a lot of different dealers but in case they dont have a local dealer to you it is still worth visiting your local dealers for the sake of a few hours work to see what they will offer you for your car.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM

1,131 posts, read 600,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
If you sell your car to a dealership, do they give you the trade in value or do they try to really low ball your car?

I need to sell my car fairly quick, I owe 23,500. Private party value is 28-30,000 Trade in is 24,000-26,000 depending on if they rate it: fair, good, or excellent. Do you think I could feasibly get 25,000 selling it to a dealership. I think the car is in good condition-low miles, good paint, and tires-I'm sure going this route the dealer is going to nit pick every speck of dust

PS I am doing this to lower my debt to income ratio to refinance my house, I don't want to sell the car until I know for sure the loan is going through. The car dealerships offer is only good for a week so that is why I haven't just taken the car to car max and found out for sure
It really depends on the car; they will base the value off of wholesale value, or what they could pick it up at auction for. If it is a really desirable used car (Think a Prius when gas spikes, or a nice used Toyota Sequoia in winter, or a nice minivan in springtime) in the current market, then you can do alright. If it is a RWD convertible in the upper Midwest at this time of year, for example, prepare to be insulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive