Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
For me as a guy I have to say no Mini Vans, No Cute-Utes, No Beetles, Mini's, Smart cars or any of the other little boxes they make today. As a mechanic there are cars I would never own as primary transportation

Lets start with Anything from Dodge chrysler Plymouth since about 1972. They make a lot of nice cars but highly unreliable. The 5th Camaro is a great driver and fun to toss around but again an unreliable mess of a car. Any GM car from about 75 to 2009. Anything to come from Italy ever... Great looking cars but I would trust one to get me to the corner and back.

Would also stay far away from the german makes. VW, Benz, BMW and Audi.
How sad for you. In the list of the best cars I've owned are a Fiat, BMW and Chrysler. Extremely reliable and fun cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM

859 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
How sad for you. In the list of the best cars I've owned are a Fiat, BMW and Chrysler. Extremely reliable and fun cars.

You don't have to fix them.. There is a steady stream of those POS's rolling through the shop daily. If you like them more power to you...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
You don't have to fix them.. There is a steady stream of those POS's rolling through the shop daily. If you like them more power to you...
Um,. I do all my own work on my own cars. At 180k miles I finally had to refresh the valve cover gaskets on my 740iL, so while i was in there i did teh valley pan gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, replaced all teh injectors an dtheri o rings, and did the MAF water pump and OSV gaskets as well. Easy and cheap to do and the car will now be ready for another 180k miles. My last Fiat was a restoration from the ground up. My Chrysler PT Cruiser even YOU wouldn't have had to fix as it never had a single problem in the 5 years I had it. My SVT Contour was the same. I've owned over a hundred cars in the last 35 years.

I don't think you COULD do this:

this:

to this:

to this:

Including mechanical and electrical work. Paid $100 for it and had $2500 into it when it was done. Drove it from Baltimore to Hartford, CT and back when I got it done as well as commuted to work in it.

My PT went from Baltimore to Orlando and back, Baltimore to Maine and back, and mothly trips to central CT and back for 5 years, as well as doing truck work around the house (hauling all the lumber for my deck, all the replacement windows for the house, 1200lbs of bagged crushed rock in one trip, etc), as well as a year racing it on the autocross track fo a trophy for both myself AND my wife, and at the end of 5 years, it was still rattle and squeak free and had had zero problems. Only reason I don't have it now is I needed a bigger truck to tow a travel trailer. So I sold it and bought a Range Rover and the BMW.

My BMW has 185k miles on it, has cost less than $2k in repairs AND upgrades in the last 5 years of daily driving it, and it's been great at eating up miles on the interstate, and is comfy to commute in. Cheap, reliable, comfortable, fast, and stylish. What more could one want?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,675,871 times
Pontiac Aztec, hated it the moment I saw it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
More in style than make/model - I have no use for or interest in a massive 4 door luxury cruiser, whether it is a sedan or an SUV.

Always makes me think of the B52s - "it's as big as a whale and it's about to set sail!"

Also have to put in my vote for older BMWs and Fiats - have had a ton of them and they've always been fun, solid and pretty reliable. We do all our own work and always have. The least reliable cars I have ever owned: a Porsche 911, a Ford Aerostar (which I owned for 6 months before I sold it out of frustration) and a GMC truck.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
Minivans --- They scream "establishment" and "I sold out" and the people who drive them always go real sloooooooow.

Anything chrysler --- They doubled charged my mother on a monthly payment once, causing her to go overdrawn in the bank once and refused to make good. A-holes.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Minivans --- They scream "establishment" and "I sold out" and the people who drive them always go real sloooooooow.
Interesting. To me nothing says those things like and SUV, or whatever the Motor Trend Car of the Year happens to be that year. I hear minivans saying things like "I have more cargo room, easier access, better fuel economy, and a lower sticker price than an SUV." And for the record, I find myself passing more compacts than anything else.

Quote:
Anything chrysler --- They doubled charged my mother on a monthly payment once, causing her to go overdrawn in the bank once and refused to make good. A-holes.
Are you aware that Chrysler Financial is a financial institution that has nothing to do with making cars? I'm guessing not.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Interesting. To me nothing says those things like and SUV, or whatever the Motor Trend Car of the Year happens to be that year. I hear minivans saying things like "I have more cargo room, easier access, better fuel economy, and a lower sticker price than an SUV." And for the record, I find myself passing more compacts than anything else.

Are you aware that Chrysler Financial is a financial institution that has nothing to do with making cars? I'm guessing not.
I didn't. But they still have the Chrysler name. So you're telling me they have nothing to do with the Chrysler name who made my mothers car and were charging her monthly payments on it ? WTF ?

Even so, together her and I were able to convince many others through her story NEVER to buy a chrysler. And in this economy, even though your company may enjoy world domination I think losing the sales of many people can't be a good thing.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
VW Type 1 & 2

Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Most financial institutions have done that to numerous people over the years. It happens, and yeah, it's a maddening thing. But as said, they don't make the cars and you don't have to use them to BUY the cars. I had Bank of America do that on a car note of mine once, should I be upset at the car company for that?

Aas an aside, if two car payments cause you to be overdrawn, you're living on the edge anyhow and probably can't afford the car to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive