U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM

22,153 posts, read 26,631,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
Nash Rambler

Ford Pinto

Yugo

Cadillac

Lincoln Continental

any boxy small SUV (ugh)

PT Cruiser (ew)
????
You would rather own something like a Toyota Camry or a silly-looking Nissan Cube than a Cadillac or Lincoln Continental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,497,192 times
None that I'd avoid or refuse to drive. I've driven some incredible luxury and sports cars, and I've driven sub<$100 clunkers. I've owned Japanese, Korean, American (Ford, GM, mopar and AMC), Swedish, German, French, British, and Italian. I have favorites from all of them, but I can't think of any of them I'd refuse, though I'd tend to look for the preferences.

Let me take that back.. As of NOW, there are probably a number of Chinese and older Soviet cars I'd probably refuse to own, though some of them could be fun/unique to build customs out of.

I simply like cars and can't hate on any by brand/genre.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,497,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
Nash Rambler
Had one. A '55 wagon hotrrod project.

Quote:
Ford Pinto
Had a coupel of them, including my first race car. A LOT of fun. Learned how to autocross in it.

Quote:
Yugo
Never had one, but a friend built a cool race car fom one. They use Fiat parts, so there are a lot of hi-po stuff available.

Quote:
Cadillac
Really? FRom the classic V-16 of the thirties, through the desirable Eldorados and DeVilles of the '50s and '60s, up though the CTS-V of modern days? you'd [i]refuse[/u] them?

Quote:
Lincoln Continental
Same thing... even the classic '60s versions, like this:

Quote:

PT Cruiser (ew)
Loved mine. Had it for 5 years. Most versatile smallish car Iv'e ever had. FUn to autocross, comfortable to drive long distances, carried a lot of stuff, economical, cool.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM

405 posts, read 1,058,977 times
I'll never own another Chrysler product. (Jeeps excepted)
POS Dakota I bought new--- interior falling apart, 2 failed PCM's, paint peeling off, the list goes on. Worst vehicle I have ever had, and I've had quite a few.

Curly

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM

910 posts, read 1,387,853 times
Geo Metro, Pontiac Aztec, late model Oldsmobile, Buick, and Pontiacs. (excluding the G8/GTO)

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,387,853 times
Geo Metro, Pontiac Aztec, any of the bland 90's/2000's GM and Ford sedans

Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM

970 posts, read 2,541,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Geo Metro, Pontiac Aztec, any of the bland 90's/2000's GM and Ford sedans

Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM

801 posts, read 2,418,270 times
My no's would be any small compact car that isn't a sports car. I would only take on a sports car as a second or third car, I would never depend on it for a daily driver. Never works out well, so they are for when one has money to burn. Which counts me out as a sport car owner for now.

I have hated every small econ-box I have gotten myself into, except for the ford focus (which I don't drive much). Never again. Just don't like little cars, they just don't make much sense, the economy of most just don't make up for all the sacrifices you make having a little car. Drive way too much to hate the car I am behind the wheel of.

I am taking a pass on hybrids and electrics for now. They are fads for the most part, I just know we will look back and go with the "what were we thinking?" kind of thing. They also don't have a track record, and I always end up with the worst of those types of not really ready for prime time cars. Frankly the hybrids and electrics don't have that much of a business case for them to even exist so when people move on these cars will likely be orphaned (i.e. hard and expensive to fix when they start failing in larger numbers) and worthless to boot. So no on those.

On a side note, I have never figured out why they call "SUV" by that name. Most cannot be called sporty (how can a truck be sporty), most have little Utility (can't get much in them for how big some are, a minivan runs circles around most in that department). They really need to come up with a different name for that group of vehicles. Maybe something more truck-like, since that is what they are. Though it may not make any difference since the powers that be want us to stop having them (though they keep riding in them).

Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,066,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
On the NO list, always have been and always will be:

Minivans
Toyota
Honda
SmartCar
Kia
Hyundia
and any square box or cube looking car

The other day I joked w/ my kids that I was going to get a minivan and BOTH looked at me like I'd lost my mind. They both said it did NOT fit our families personality at all. LOL!!!
Your family must be SO cool

Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
After owning a new 1960 Renault Dauphine, I swore I'd never own one again, but I married the daughter of a Renault dealer 15 years later, and had three of them, and you know what? They weren't such bad cars. They weren't great, but they were a good solid average. Above average, if you count British cars. I swore I'd never own another one of those, too, after my '58 Jaguar and '66 Rover. Routine maintenance = oil change + valve job.

My '75 Renault 6 had that cool shift lever that was on a horizontal bar coming through the dashboard, with linkage that allowed the driver to remotely manipulate a more or less conventional stick shift up in front of the engine. I loved driving that thing. Like most totally goofy automotive things, I think that was originally a Cirtoen idea.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-22-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or