Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

im planning to buy a new car soon and it has been a few years since ive done it. i was just wondering what the best way is to determine the price i should be paying for the car. i can go on various sites and get prices, i want to know which one is the best to walk into the dealer with and insist this is what i want to pay. id like to go in knowing what i want to pay rather than figure it out by going back and forth with the salesman and ending up fighting over a few bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM

i forgot to mention i also have a trade in. this would be the first time ive ever done a deal with a trade in. its a 2007 xterra s with about 60k miles. its in excellent condition.

the new car would be the 2011 (or 12 if i wait for it) buick enclave with awd, leather seats, dvd entertainment system (wife wants it but seems to pricey for my liking).

Old 07-20-2011, 03:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
This thread might be useful for you.

Asking multiple dealerships for a quote

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i forgot to mention i also have a trade in. this would be the first time ive ever done a deal with a trade in. its a 2007 xterra s with about 60k miles. its in excellent condition.
Trade ins are better off sold out of your driveway. Dealerships never pay what the car is worth.

I have used CostCo to buy my last two trucks, they get a large discount for their members.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 PM

10 posts, read 90,643 times
Do you have a Carmax near you? I went there to get an idea of the value of my car. It took about 30 minutes (maybe less) and was super easy. It's good to compare the price that the dealership gives you when/if you do a trade-in.

Other suggestions:
-- Know the difference between MSRP price and the invoice price (I found the edmunds site to be useful).
-- If you have time to shop around, watch for sales and check newspaper ads.

Buying a car was a stressful time for me, but some people enjoy the challenge of negotiating and car buying. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
A few things I've learned over the years:

Don't be afraid to walk out. Don't tell them you have a trade-in until you've established the price of the new car. Don't worry about taking up the salesman's time and then not buying the car. Go on a hot day. Really hot. Or pouring rain. If a "few bucks" are important to you, fight for them. What do you care if the salesman thinks your cheap? Don't fall in love with the car in front of the salesman. Don't tell the salesman "I want to pay X but will pay XX for the right car." (He'll only show you the XX car and give you the XX price.) If they call and tell you they have a buyer for the car you were looking at say, "Good for you!" Chances are if you drive by the lot the next day the car will still be sitting there.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Less is more

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

i appreciate the tips. i have no problem walking away and being a jerk, its my wife that i have to worry about. but shouldnt i be able to go online and put together a price that would be a price i should be happy with? i can pretty much do that at carsdirect and i see kbb has a nifty thing where they give you a price you can expect to pay. if i dont come in knowing what i want to pay, then its just a matter of testing out the dealer and figuring out how low he is willing to go.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i appreciate the tips. i have no problem walking away and being a jerk, its my wife that i have to worry about. but shouldnt i be able to go online and put together a price that would be a price i should be happy with? i can pretty much do that at carsdirect and i see kbb has a nifty thing where they give you a price you can expect to pay. if i dont come in knowing what i want to pay, then its just a matter of testing out the dealer and figuring out how low he is willing to go.
Do everything via email. Negotiate with several dealers until you get the price you want. You never have to worry about being pressured this way. Like you said, use a website to figure out a fair price (I like Edmunds.com myself).

Also, you can find a forum for just about every car out there. Join and look for a thread where people talk about how much they paid or start your own thread. That way you can get real life examples.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If you go to dealer sites and look at vehicles wirth listed options and MSRP ;the MSRP you figure at edmonds.com should be the same including shipping etc.Also the invoice price. you have to do the entire thing including Zip for shipping to be acccuarte tho.Its easier with makers who offer certain model in limited options on trim models.Aslo remmeebr that if your lookig at a limited model theymay not some off any below Like liited prodcutio cameros.Goodl uck

Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
First off go to Edmunds like others suggested..Email different dealerships and speak to a few sales reps ..Have them compete off each other..If you have a trade that can be a sticking point..Definitily negotiate the car sales price before you tell them you will trade in and do it before you go to buy the car. (this saves lots of time) Go to Carmax and get an appraisal and use that as leverage..I did that recently with a dealership and had them up against a wall cause they were ready to low ball me on my trade..It also helps if you are paying cash .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive