Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah they need to boost power to the 400HP level on the STI that is where alot of other cars in it's price range are already making... Ie. the current 5.0 mustang GT.

then they could have the base WRX with 250HP and a sport version with 300HP and a few STI options to split the diffrence then they could have three trim/performance levels
The Subie isn't about HP though (though many tuners make it so), outright speed is a by-product, not something you'll look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In what universe does "more gears mean less torque from the engine?" By that logic a ZR-1 with its 600+ lb-ft of torque ought to come with a two-speed.

More gears means better-spaced ratios, but just as importantly, yeah, a taller final gear might help this poor car's mediocre highway fuel economy rating.

You must be new to the automotive world. The foreign car makers with their small engines always relied on lots of gears to get their cares up to speed.

Big torque V-8's don't need all those gears. Two speed Powerglides seem to work pretty well on the dragstrip.

If you read my post completely you would have noticed that I said OD gears are another reason for multiple gears.

If you weren't trying to be such a know it all you might have agreed with me.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The Subie isn't about HP though (though many tuners make it so), outright speed is a by-product, not something you'll look for.
Agree that the STI isn't all about power, but the difference between the WRX and STI has gotten very narrow recently. I think Subaru would do themselves a favor if they upped the ante on the STI in the power department, which would give more room for the WRX to improve further.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Having done thousands of race track laps in all the 2008 and up Impreza models, IMHO, the 5 spd in the WRX is just fine. I'm not a big fan of the six speed in the STI. It's not very smooth and there is something wrong in the box on the 4th to 3rd downchange and plenty of people miss the gear and go right into 1st.

Sometimes less is more.
Well it's like I said, the WRX doesn't need the six-speed out of the STi. At that point you might as well stop offering one or the other. The six-speed out of the Legacy would do just fine.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You must be new to the automotive world. The foreign car makers with their small engines always relied on lots of gears to get their cares up to speed.

Big torque V-8's don't need all those gears. Two speed Powerglides seem to work pretty well on the dragstrip.

If you read my post completely you would have noticed that I said OD gears are another reason for multiple gears.

If you weren't trying to be such a know it all you might have agreed with me.
No, I'm not new to the automotive world. And while two-speed powerglides may work great on the drag strip, they're not terribly practical on an everyday road car. And I don't buy the premise that if one doesn't agree with you, they're trying to be a know-it-all. That's the kind of argument a teenage wannabe know-it-all would resort to.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Agree that the STI isn't all about power, but the difference between the WRX and STI has gotten very narrow recently. I think Subaru would do themselves a favor if they upped the ante on the STI in the power department, which would give more room for the WRX to improve further.
I agree bring the WRX STI into the 400+HP range and have a mid-range WRX-sport model making 300HP with a 6-speed manual and a base 250HP model with the 5-speed.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Similar to a point, the STi is built with far greater materials etc, things you might not see, but things that's crucial to longevity and the amount of a buse it takes. It's not for nothing that the WRX guys generally start the tuning of their cars by adding STi parts.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I agree bring the WRX STI into the 400+HP range and have a mid-range WRX-sport model making 300HP with a 6-speed manual and a base 250HP model with the 5-speed.
400HP is asking a lot without changing the fundamental character and/or streetability of the car. Even 325HP would separate it from the WRX by 60HP. I think having a 250HP variant, a 300HP variant, and an STi variant is trying a little too hard to fill niche segments. They would do well to bring the regular Impreza up a bit in power though. Not only is there a big performance gap between the standard Impreza and the WRX, but there's a growing performance gap between the standard Impreza and its market competitors. the "but we offer AWD and our competitors don't" response grows less convincing the more its competitors improve on their performance.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
400HP is asking a lot without changing the fundamental character and/or streetability of the car. Even 325HP would separate it from the WRX by 60HP. I think having a 250HP variant, a 300HP variant, and an STi variant is trying a little too hard to fill niche segments. They would do well to bring the regular Impreza up a bit in power though. Not only is there a big performance gap between the standard Impreza and the WRX, but there's a growing performance gap between the standard Impreza and its market competitors. the "but we offer AWD and our competitors don't" response grows less convincing the more its competitors improve on their performance.
yeah the one that will be a big competitor to the WRX will be the new ford focus RS and they came to play with the 2011 version.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
But why oh why did Subaru lose the plot on Impreza styling? After 2005 or 2006, they switched to something that looks like everything else, like a sporty Taurus for Pete's sake.

I've met many people who love the old styling. I'm sure their still a good value car though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive