U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:34 PM

18,117 posts, read 19,872,841 times

Advertisements

Lol this is funny

A while back I sold my wife's old truck. 1995 GMC Jimmy. Perfect vehicle. Well maintained. I had EVERY receipt for any repair or maintenance done to the truck. Owners manual, window sticker, hell I even had the freaking sales brochure.
I put it for 2500. Just put new tires on it a year ago. Drove a whole 3000 miles that year. Interior was IMMACULATE. I Even fixed a small tear in the driver seat leather. Washed vaccum smogged it and had it in the garage ready to sell. EVERYTHING worked, there was no it only needs xyz to be a great car.The only reason I was even selling it was we needed the room.
I thought the price was very fair. I had so many people call and offer me 1k or$500. I just said no thanks.
First guy to come actually look at it bought it. Went to AAA changed ownership. Cash in hand done deal.

As a seller I don't even bother making a deal over the phone. I find its a waste if time. The buyer usually wants to renegotiate once they show up if they show up, if you're really serious show up nit yammer on the phone

I was looking for a work truck. I recently sold my last work truck with 200k miles same deal. Guy came and bought it. Was looking for a 1/2 ton because I no longer need the heavy duty 1ton. Most cars out there are way overpriced. My first question is
Is the vehicle salvaged
Are you the original owner
Is the vehicle in your name
Is all the paperwork in order, pink slip, smog checked, clean registration

If it's salvaged, not in the sellers name no paperwork and no maintenance records I didn't bother going any further.

I'm getting a old truck back with over 300,000 miles. I rather throw 5 k in restoring that than buying some salvaged pos with f'ed up paperwork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:25 PM

1,026 posts, read 777,680 times
Dave Ramsey says to buy used and save money. I do not do this for a number of reasons. Used cars are going to be in much better shape in Tennessee (where Dave is from) than Ohio due to being exposed to much less road salt.

Another reason is that people drive so much. Just try to find a used car driven fewer than 6000 miles a year, like I drive.

The third reason is the topic of this thread. There is no way I would pay a private seller more than half way between wholesale and retail price.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:17 PM

5,012 posts, read 5,897,697 times
In this event if I'm really interested in a vehicle I will usually send them an email with an attached link to the true book value of the car for a "private party" sale. If they're willing to come down then we can make a deal. If not then oh well.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM

790 posts, read 1,004,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
I've been looking for another vehicle in the past week or so, and am put off by people asking $1000-2000 above Kelley Blue Book prices. What's up with that? One person even put "no low ballers" in their ad. Excuse me, but when you ask $2000 above the Blue Book something's up. Don't expect people to pay or even bite when clearly you're high-balling!

Dont buy it...problem solved.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM

5,012 posts, read 5,897,697 times
Also this actually hurts the seller. If I see a car priced too high and way above what it's actual worth is, I won't even bother contacting him because I don't have patience for the back and forth negotiation game that he's trying to play. I'll look for a car priced around what I want to pay and offer him $500 less. I'll usually say "I'm interested In your car that you have advertised for sale. If in excellent condition I have $____ in hand and can buy today. If you're willing to accept my offer please reply. Thank you" This has worked for me 95% of the time when shopping online for a used car.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
Here's my issue...I have tried to trade my truck in at 4 different dealers. I did my homework and searched fair trade-in values on KBB, NADA, and Edmunds. Not one dealer even offered me close to what was listed there. I tried local dealers here in this small town, Carmax, and even made the 2 hour trip up to San Diego to a bigger city. And it wasn't that they were a little less, they were WAY below.

Now, I have decided to sell my truck myself. Another issue is when I look for the fair price to sell it at, many of the options (like factory chrome package - a $2500 upgrade, off-road package - another $2500 upgrade) is not even listed to choose, so you have to consider that value yourself. I also looked at what other similar cars are listed for and have mine listed at the same or even below that - but still above what KBB says. So when you go to a dealer, they don't care what KBB says, they have their price and they won't budget on the trade-in offer. What the dealer says is "Well, you can't buy a car from KBB or Edmunds, you have to buy a car at a dealer". So, let me get this straight, KBB and Edmunds mean jack when you take your car for trade-in, but yet when I sell it I am expected to ask exactly what KBB says? I have KBB thrown in my face from the trade-in side and the private selling side. I have my truck for sale, I am comfortable with the price and know it's competitve to what the same modele are going for in this area. Maybe in other parts of the country, the prices are lower - who knows, but I wish KBB didn't even exist. It's just been a pain for me.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM

656 posts, read 1,002,046 times
If a private party wants a little over the KBB value for their car, I don't really split hairs - if it's a well-maintained car in good condition. They always consider the price of a car in excellent condition, even when it isn't. I find defects, figure out what parts are going to cost, then, if I'm still interested, make an offer based on actual value of the car + cost of repair parts. They typically say no, because I'm a nitpicky MF, and I do turn wrenches for a living, so I know what I'm looking at when I find a defect.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM

14,555 posts, read 9,622,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balison81 View Post

Now, I have decided to sell my truck myself. Another issue is when I look for the fair price to sell it at, many of the options (like factory chrome package - a $2500 upgrade, off-road package - another $2500 upgrade)
Don't expect to get much, if any, for your upgrades. Matter of fact, upgrades may lower your truck value or diminish its market segment considerably.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,918,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Matter of fact, upgrades may lower your truck value or diminish its market segment considerably.

Not factory upgrades, and higher factory trim levels.

And even well done aftermarket upgrades can increase teh value. maybe not as muchas teh cost of those u[grades, but they can still be worth something. I've built and sold over a hundred cars and never lost money on upgrades.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
What I've noticed is when people post their vehicles they post the retail value and that's why it's 1000 to 2000 more then the private party value of their vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive