U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 AM

3,094 posts, read 2,946,454 times
Default Your lane is closed ahead, do you merge right away or at the sign?

So we have this discussion basically every time we go on a road trip. Take a two-lane, one-way road. Imagine that up ahead 1000 feet or so is one of those big orange arrows indicating construction and that the lane you are driving in is about to end. Do you drive all the way up to the sign and then attempt to merge or do you merge farther back?

My wife says to merge at the sign, that doing so keeps traffic flowing better. I say merge farther back so that the people invariably crawling or stopped in the free lane don't think you're a jerk for driving past them and then "cutting in" at the sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM

2,652 posts, read 1,212,558 times
I agree with you and do what you do.
Maybe your wife is right but it does rub people the wrong way.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,660,853 times
Your wife is right. In PA, they have signs that say "Use both lanes to merge point" because people will line up for miles.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,559,735 times
I usually just fit in where I can as close to the sign as I can. The less time I am in the stop and go the better. I'd hate to get hit by someone stressed or not paying attention.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,123,496 times
I don't merge two miles back but I also don't wait until I am 100 feet from the sign to merge either.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 AM

968 posts, read 1,086,674 times
i have this exact situation on a road (two lane merges to one lane) on my way home from work every day.

these people line up for miles, have half their car in the next lane blocking a two lane road, and then won't allow you to merge when theres a big sign that says "MERGE"

i wish they would make a sign that says: please merge where the lane ends so 1) others aren't cutting you off 2) it makes the line move faster.

my biggest pet peeve is a two lane road, and the right lane becomes a turn only, and people speed until it turns and then cut slow drivers off so they don't have to wait.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,357,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Your wife is right. In PA, they have signs that say "Use both lanes to merge point" because people will line up for miles.
Wow. Really? That's downright scary, though not surprising given what I've seen from PA drivers .

In all seriousness, though, that doesn't leave you much of an out and pretty much guarantees traffic is gonna grind to a halt.

I try to merge well in advance so as not to have to cut anyone off or screw up the flow of traffic, but if it does get to stop-n-go traffic, sometime it is easiest to go up to the merge point and just 'one-and-one' it.

Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 12,508,505 times
When driving my 72' blind spot, I usually merge as soon as I see the first sign. That way, at least I know I won't get left out by car drivers who CANNOT drive behind a big truck. The ideal scenario would be for traffic to merge close the the lane ending in a "zipper" fashion; one vehicle from the open lane moves ahead, one vehicle from the closing lane gets in behind him, the next vehicle from the open lane moves ahead...and repeat. But since it's "all about me' for too many Americans, we can't seem to allow even that small courtesy... (Eurpoeans seem to do well with this concept...)

This morning I was coming from a delivery and stuck at a STOP sign while trying to merge on a two-lane road that was being used as a detour for a crash on the nearby highway. Car after car ignored me until I practically had to hit one when a big truck was kind enough to let me in...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,731,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i have this exact situation on a road (two lane merges to one lane) on my way home from work every day.

these people line up for miles, have half their car in the next lane blocking a two lane road, and then won't allow you to merge when theres a big sign that says "MERGE"

i wish they would make a sign that says: please merge where the lane ends so 1) others aren't cutting you off 2) it makes the line move faster.

my biggest pet peeve is a two lane road, and the right lane becomes a turn only, and people speed until it turns and then cut slow drivers off so they don't have to wait.
As someone else pointed out, it has been proven that traffic flows faster and easier if motorists merged at the merge sign. There is a big construction project going on near me and on the local forum there are people complaining and they are saying they do the "split the lane" to keep people from "butting in". What they don't realize is they have the right to be in that lane. Why not just block that lane off about 3 miles back then, lol. What these people don't realize is that the more lanes open for the longest stretch of road HELPS traffic. The people doing the "lane splitting" can actually get a ticket for impeding traffic. If they would all split up 50/50 in the two available lanes and when at the merge sign did the every other car merge they would ALL get thru the construction faster and smoother. I wish the police would go out and direct the traffic in these scenarios for a few days when it is going to be a constant for a long time and then ticket those that lane split.

Like I said, if these idiots that don't want people driving up closer to the merge sign think everyone should merge the second they see the sign or know it is coming miles back then why not just have that other lane closed WAY back there to start with, lol.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,079,671 times
I personally don't think it's a good idea to change lanes at the last minute. If you know you're going to have to be in the right or left hand lane in 6-8 blocks, why not get over then? (or, I suppose up to 1/2 mile...depends on how much warning they give you to begin with).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive