U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 AM

4,153 posts, read 5,883,570 times

Advertisements

90's Toyota Celica is bullet proof ask me I know. 200k miles and gets 31mpg combined great ac and runs like a champ. Or a 90's Corolla, same engine. Both reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,444,799 times
Best used car for $3,000 is a "grandpa or grandma car" again. Buick, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Ford and maybe even a Chevy. You don't have to go full size if you don't want to. The mid size cars are also used by the elderly and most have been well cared for, garage kept and cream puffed around. Sellers are usually eager to sell due to losing their driving privileges and it is amazing what you can get for $2,500-$5,000. Stay away from European and Japanese cars in this price range. They are being sold for such a low cost for a reason. The seller more than likely was having some problems and took it to the shop to get looked at and bailed out before it took a real dump. Parts are expensive and don't expect to buy them anywhere either. Your shade tree mechanic neighbor more than likely won't even touch it for you, even if you come up with some reasonably priced parts. Leave these kind of cars to the people who buy them new and know how they have been taken care of and avoid a $3,000 paperweight. These older folks cars are your best bet.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,444,799 times
I remember a $3,500 used Audi that my sister used to own in '95-'96. The deal seemed great at the time until things started to go South from age and use. Like I said above, forget Auto Zone, Advanced and placed like that for parts. They don't have squat and this car was a money pit and a half in its elder years. The local dealer fixed what I couldn't and always had the parts needed for a good ream job when you got them. You could always get parts there but paid dearly for them. She ditched this for a domestic and finally had some extra cash in her pocket. You don't need headaches like this. Don't buy OLD cars like this unless you have relation or connections with getting it repaired reasonably. Another case of I told you so sis! 1987 Audi 4000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive