Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
In the 70's many were killed in Pinto's, a FORD due to putting a gas tank under the bumper
Actually, that rear gas tank location was common on many, many cars from the '50s to the '70s, not just compacts, and not just Fords. Out of over 2 million Pintos made and sold, a Rutgers Law Review study found that there were only 27 Pinto fires, making the car about average for it's era (hell, looking at some modern cars, it actually has a pretty good record in comparison).

The gas tank in my '72 Chevelle was in the same location, as was the one in my '71 BMW 2002. The MGB GT in my garage right now has it's fuel tank in the same place. It's WELL past time for people, especially people on automotive forums that shoudl know better, to stop souting crap invented back in the '70s by Mother Jones Magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I prefer American cars and also just got a Fusion several months ago. It was assembled in Mexico with a large number of U.S. parts by an American-based company that supports many American jobs and pensions. But I got it because it was the best car on the road!! IMO at least it was very stylish, fuel-efficient yet powerful, and available in a manual transmission. Ford realistically must place some assembly plants elsewhere or they have no negotiating power against the UAW, even though they do retain a strong US assembly plant presence.

Just a few observations though, the actual assembly plant location of the car is only a small portion of the process as the article states. You also have to consider where it's engineered & designed, where did the engine/transmission/other parts come from, where is the company based and where do the profits go, etc.

It's also discouraging to see the number of Americans who won't consider American cars. Sometimes there's a notion that if the car came from far-away, it must be better. American car companies tend to have much better reputations in other countries. Then there's always the person that compares their 1990 Ford/Chevy/Pontiac/Chrysler and all those problems with their 2007 Toyota/Hyundai/Subaru/Honda & won't consider another American car. This seems especially prevalent with middle-income Americans who are often part of another union but won't consider a UAW car. I'm not a UAW fan, but unions must support unions or they all become weaker. There's no doubt in my mind that modern domestics are just as dependable as foreign counterparts and less expensive to repair too.

Overall, I'm sure it is better for the economy to buy an American car assembled in America from an American auto-maker. It's not bigoted or racist to only consider American cars, some people just take pride in America and many American families depend on these car companies doing well. Toyota assembles about 40% of cars sold in America here, about 70% in North America, and 30% elsewhere. However, car salesmen have done a wonderful job of touting their domestic ties and plants as well as the foreign ties of domestic automakers which blurs the line.
I agree with you.
Ive always been a Ford fan, but up till recently they didnt offer the best in any class or segment. I really feel the fusion is, if not the best in its class, at least tied for first in many ways. Initial quality is nearly flawless, performance is great for a vehicle of this type. Handling is as advertised. Very taut, very composed ride. It goes over bumps with a feeling of total solidity. SOmetimes I cant believe this is the same company that used to make garbage like the old Aerostar van my parents had, or the Aspire. But it goes to show that companies can change drastically if they want to survive.
Im not downplaying what the other companies offer, but Ford now offers a legitimate alternative to any of those cars and IMO every buyer owes it to themselves to at least test drive a Ford when considering other makes. Even the trade in values have risen dramatically, to the point where its no longer a no-brainer choice to choose an import. In fact in some cases it seems foolish. I say this having driven the Camry and the Accord. My Mother has an 09 Accord so Im pretty well aware of what that vehicle is like and my Mother actually prefers my car in several ways.
If anything, the new Sonata is stiff competition for the Fusion and even it falls short in some ways.
Regarding the so-called transmission problems, I have heard that some of the software programming of the transmission may need reprogramming/tuning, but thats not a mechanical problem. It slightly delays acceleration and shifting in some cars, but this is a lot easier to fix than stuck accelerator pedals and faulty steering that affects the Hyundais and toyotas.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, that rear gas tank location was common on many, many cars from the '50s to the '70s, not just compacts, and not just Fords. Out of over 2 million Pintos made and sold, a Rutgers Law Review study found that there were only 27 Pinto fires, making the car about average for it's era (hell, looking at some modern cars, it actually has a pretty good record in comparison). ,,,
And the actual problem was the license plate screws were too long, the recall removed the screws and used shorter screws to attach.

Hollywood has made out every single Pinto to have blown up. They must have all been at Woodstock as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
If you own a GM car or truck all the electronic components are made in China except for those made in Taiwan. All the exhaust systems are made in Mexico and the highly praised Duromax diesel is designed by Isuzu but not sure where it is made.
GM also outsources to France, Israel and just about anybody who will build it cheaper than the US.
Nobody really cares where cars are made as long as they think they are getting a good price.
If we let Big Business move all the jobs overseas pretty soon nobody will be able to afford to buy anything.
Why should I care if folks lose their jobs as long as I still have mine? That's the American way isn't it?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If we let Big Business move all the jobs overseas pretty soon nobody will be able to afford to buy anything.
And if we build cars exclusively using overpriced UAW labor, then nobody will still be able to afford anything.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Chevy Cobalt. VIN starts with a "1" and I think the window sticker mentioned Ohio or Michigan. I can't remember for sure.
Cobalt was assembled in Lordstown, Ohio. I have many friends and family that work/worked at that plant and the nearby metal stamping plant.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I prefer NOT to buy UAW cars, but ultimately, I don't really care where a car is made, or who makes it, if quality can be delivered at a competitive price.
So a hyundai that is assembled in North Korea is OK with you?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So a hyundai that is assembled in North Korea is OK with you?
Hyundais are assembled in South Korea, homeslice. And Alabama.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Thread reopened. Please be mindful of the Terms of Service when discussing vehicles that originate (in whatever form: design/assembly/manufacture) in America, as stated by the OP. Please stay on-topic with respect to discussing vehicles, not corporate policies/politics that does not directly relate to a particular automotive brand or model. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,489 times
if you guys are looking for real information abouts parts then i have link for you Auto Parts at Auto Parts Way - Car Parts, Import Parts, Truck Parts, Auto Accessories - Free Shipping i tried them many of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive