U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,492,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
honestly, Harleys with loud pipes are at least as annoying
No, just like V-8 muscle with Flow Master 40's or Super 44's on it. They sound good! Worse yet for the kids is an automatic. It sounds like a rubber band stretching....... wheeeeeeeeewwwww.......wheeeeeeeeeewwww.. crack-bang-pop!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM

19,772 posts, read 15,190,912 times
Really? Honestly? I have a 2000 LS. There is no other Ford car like it. Out the gate, it is not an old person's car. That said, I'd drive a towncar, or MKS or MKZ.

And yes I have logged quite a few miles in a pickup. So what's the point of this thread?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM

7,001 posts, read 14,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ryde View Post
Cadillac has done a great job of transforming there image from old man wear church socks and sandles (No offence) to Yuppy 30 something attention grabbers crowd who is really now a competitor to the likes of BMW And Benz. Lincoln all look like Fords. They look like outdated, front wheel drive, boring cars that only a man that wear shorts while wear church socks and sandles. I'm still a Ford man, just not a Lincoln man.
Yeah and what cars are the old grandpas and grandmas supposed to drive these days? Seems like the days of the choice of a TRUE cushy riding luxury cars are gone.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,429,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
No, just like V-8 muscle with Flow Master 40's or Super 44's on it. They sound good! Worse yet for the kids is an automatic. It sounds like a rubber band stretching....... wheeeeeeeeewwwww.......wheeeeeeeeeewwww.. crack-bang-pop!
whatever. agree to disagree.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,492,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
whatever. agree to disagree.
So you say, haven't seen a Screamin Eagle Stage I or II, 103 CI or 110 CI big bore equipped EFI yet eh? They are far from slow or quiet for that matter. It just takes a knowledgeable YANK just like in the autos that knows his stuff. I think I am starting to believe all that BS about schools changing the history books and rewriting history to fit their liking. Yeah, "The Big One"...... you know where people died? It's over but it still won't bring those who payed the ultimate price back. The kids nowadays are gung-ho Japan and are eager to s*** on their own people.I guess I'm starting to get old or something. Nah, I'm just the guy who s***s on people who s*** on the elderly!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM

12,873 posts, read 13,291,581 times
Quote:
I'd drive a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Town car any day. That puts a full size truck owner as close to driving your truck as possible while you are in a car. Tons of room, V-8 power, RWD etc-etc.
The problem is - there are only a few tens of thousands of Americans that actually want cars like this. If the CV and TC were so good, why don't more people buy them? Sales of the TC have been declining steadily for a decade.

The people who really like them are dying.

I think you'll always have a few of these to choose from. The choices will be fewer, and it will cost you more. Free market at work.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,613,271 times
Quote:
No, no, no...

See, a good old 350 with a set of Flowmasters sounds like music. A Harley with a straightpipe is just loud.

I remember one particularly awful night back in LA where there was some d-bag on his custom chopper who went around the block like six or seven times looking for an address and would rev the damn thing constantly. Maybe he was looking to **** someone off? In any case, the cops got him for causing a public disturbance - they were ticketing him and impounding his bike right in front of my apartment. I don't normally like seeing people get their ride impounded by the LAPD, but this dude deserved it.

Also, my dad has PTSD after serving in Iraq, and some dude in their neighborhood got his rocks off by throttling his straight-pipe'd Harley down the street at 12/1/2/3am. My dad would charge to the window and reach for his rifle because he thought they were under attack. Once we found out where he lived and explained what was going on to him and asked him to stop, he did, but he shouldn't have been doing it in the first place. It's just obnoxious.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,613,271 times
My parents have an '06 Town Car. Big freakin' land yacht of a car. I actually do like driving it when I go home to visit; total 180 from my S2000. Squishy, soft, vague steering, bench seats...

I actually wouldn't really mind having one. The V8 is pretty well underpowered for a car of its size, but it still moves just fine. It's refined to an extent, but the vintage of the chassis and drivetrain is pretty obvious if you've sat in a newer Caddy, let alone BMW or MBZ. Sure, they're a bit costly new, but the depreciate in value soooooo quickly, you can get one that's two years old for a song.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,429,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My parents have an '06 Town Car. Big freakin' land yacht of a car. I actually do like driving it when I go home to visit; total 180 from my S2000. Squishy, soft, vague steering, bench seats...

I actually wouldn't really mind having one. The V8 is pretty well underpowered for a car of its size, but it still moves just fine. It's refined to an extent, but the vintage of the chassis and drivetrain is pretty obvious if you've sat in a newer Caddy, let alone BMW or MBZ. Sure, they're a bit costly new, but the depreciate in value soooooo quickly, you can get one that's two years old for a song.
heck, funny you metion that, because I remember years ago, some guy posted in the s2ki forum (used to have one myself! ) that a local dealer was selling brand new Mercury Grand Marquis for $17k and change. This was around 2007. A few of the posters including myself thought that it would be a good deal to pick one up as a second car, since they're literally as opposite from an s2k as you can get, this side of an SUV at least. The majority of posters gave the few of us some flack for even considering it, but I still think it could be a fun idea, especially with a pair of Flowmasters and a set of 20" Daytons, LOL.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM

19,772 posts, read 15,190,912 times
Quote:
Oh wait..... but better buy em up quick as they are almost gone!

YouTube - 2003 P71 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor highway speed run
Been in a CVPI on a run like that. That was the most fun I've had in a car. Well frankly the most fun I have had without being forced to cuddle after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive