Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,402,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
One extreme to the other. Have you seen the size of the rims the kids are putting on nowadays? Ridiculous, and looks awful especially on classics that came with 14" and 15" rims. Nothing ruins the look of a classic more then too much bling-bling. Imagine hitting a curb with a 1"-2" sidewall?
Love seeing an old beat up sedan like a 90s model Caprice with a fake Impala SS logo and a set of rims that cost more than the car itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,288,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Love seeing an old beat up sedan like a 90s model Caprice with a fake Impala SS logo and a set of rims that cost more than the car itself.
I know, had they not went overboard the car would look much better. They could have put the money elsewhere too. Now they are even doing it on TV build shows! Don't do that to 60's and 70's stuff peeps. It's just wrong! I'll stick with my favorites that never go out of style! American Racing Vintage Torq Thrust D Wheels

Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,501,308 times
Ghetto fabulous!!!

I don't know if they're illegal per se as most laws simply state that the tire must be covered fully by the fender. Can't say I would want them on my car, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,957,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Some people will put 'rims' on any piece of crap that can move.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,402,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Some people will put 'rims' on any piece of crap that can move.
Back in the late 1980s my cousin had a 1982 Mercury Capri. Looked good but slow as molasses thanks to Ford's very reliable 200cid inline 6. He wanted to get rid of the steel wheels and lousy hubcaps. Rather than spend a lot of money, he bought some cheap Crager rims and the car looked better without spending a fortune. You can put gold on crap but it'll still be crap. Knew a guy once who was even cheaper and more practical. He got tired of replacing the hubcaps everytime they got stolen (remember when people stole hubcaps!) and found a spray paint that matched his car's body color. He removed the wheels, prepped the metal, sprayed the primer, and then sprayed the paint. He put them back on his car and it looked pretty good. Better than some of the hubcaps he bought. My 76 Camaro had painted wheels from the factory and it looked pretty good.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,202,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
One extreme to the other. Have you seen the size of the rims the kids are putting on nowadays? Ridiculous, and looks awful especially on classics that came with 14" and 15" rims. Nothing ruins the look of a classic more then too much bling-bling. Imagine hitting a curb with a 1"-2" sidewall?
Not really a problem if you, well, know how to drive and don't hit friggin' curbs.

In 30 years of driving customs and hot rods, I've never hit a curb. But then again, if I spend time, effort, and money on my cars, I tend to actually pay attention and be careful while driving. My current daily driver has 19" whels with short sidewalls. Hasn't been a problem.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,447,549 times
Hope this crappy trend burns out soon. Nothing hip about it. Looks pathetic and sadly I see lots of old classics brought down to this level. Total garbage. http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...king1/donk.jpg

Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,202,239 times
While I'd never build a Donk/box/bubble (depending on which car it's starting fom) I understand where it came from. It originalted in Miami, where the custom/exotic car scene is pretty big. As Will Smith said, "hundred thousand dollar cars, everybody's got one." To stand out in a sea of expensive custom stuff, some guys took traditional lowriders (built from classic American iron) and raised them up with oversized wheels. The body and interior was traditional custom lowrider stuff, and the engines were generally built up big blocks in order to still have performance to turn the oversized wheels. The entire concept was to build caricatures that were "over the top", and it took off from there.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,307,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I think it is a new trend and doubtful there are any laws regarding it. I believe they call them Swangas or some such nonsense.
In New York City they call them pimp mobiles.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,160,143 times
Very low class looking. These are people who have to finance their rims, why anyone would want to associate with that... I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive