U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

19,120 posts, read 10,544,065 times
I have been driving since the mid 60's and never once stopped on railroad tracks for any reason.

The only time I had any problem with railroad tracks was crossing over them on a horse and horse shoe got hooked and torn almost off. That was a problem, Torn off would have been better..

The only time I was scared on tracks when a train was coming, a slow freight thankfully, I had stopped and then noticed a dog caught on the tracks, looking as if it was laying down. That didn't look right, so I got out and ran to the dog, which had somehow fallen in a ditch for water to pass. There was a under cut culvert pipe more washed out than not.

That train seemed to be going real fast the closer it got, and I was scared, but not scared stiff, and got the dog off of there before we were killed. That dog didn't bother to even say thanks!

A side note maybe: Motorcyclists will do odd things on tracks that are not a straight crossing. We swerve to make it as close to a 90 degree crossing as we can. If you see us swerving that way, this is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,259,326 times
Not only cars get stuck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUG8elGsMM

Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM

11,574 posts, read 10,036,219 times
In the case I witnessed, it was a drunk lady attempting to commit suicide. We got her out by busting the window and unlocking the door just before the train wiped out her car.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 AM

9,262 posts, read 14,922,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
ha, i was waiting patiently at a red light with space in front of me to be clear of the tracks. this acura decided i was the person she was going to cut off so she could be just a little bit closer to the red light (albeit on active train tracks)

the lights start flashing and the barriers come down and her car was still on the tracks. so she tried to back up. there was no room. frantic she got out of the car and started yelling at me to back up so she could save her pretty little car. i couldn't go anywhere and i verbalized that to her.

her car was fine (barely missed the train) and she gave me the finger, but i think that was a lesson learned that she'll never forget.

so sometimes cars get stuck on tracks because of stupid people.
Something doesn't add up... If the other motorist had pulled in front while you were stopped and your car did not move, how did she not have room to reverse in the direction from which she came?

Also, I don't care what lesson you want to teach someone, you are playing with lives. Sure, she made a stupid move, but a responsible motorist should do everything possible, including backing sideways onto a shoulder, median, etc. to get the other car off the track -- not just sit there. Just because you wanted to prove something to her, you put her life and the lives of people on the train in jeopardy? Good grief!

What if the train struck her car? What if she were killed? So what if she cut you off? For that, she or someone else on the train deserves to be severely injured or killed? Get over it, seriously -- please think next time and don't let anger/emotion/perceived slights take control. I would sooner smash my own car into guard rail, drive onto a soft shoulder and get stuck in the mud, absolutely anything to make sure a fellow motorist (even a stupid/arrogant one like someone who cut me off at the last second) would not get struck by a train because those situations do not usually end well.

__________________________________________________ ____________

How some cars get stuck in the town where I am is due to old roads that were not designed for cars, much less the volume of traffic that can occur at certain times of the day -- generally when trains are due, or have just departed, as it's a busy commuter rail line in the NYC area. The roads date from the 1800s, and the train station(s), as the old one was replaced with a new one for electric trains and the old converted for other use, are in the heart of the commercial district. Traffic can back up due to cars pulling out of diagonal spots along the main avenue, or by cars waiting for others to pull out of said spots. When someone is turning left, after coming across the tracks, this can cause a backup. When people are not aware of the turning vehicle, or if they are complacent, and the first car is wide, cars can get stuck on the tracks when the gates come down and alarm bells ring. There is generally room to get by a car turning left, but some may be wide, and that's how it happens that a car that is not familiar with the accepted use of 1 1/2 lanes to squeeze by with the road's realignment to a single lane with median on the other side of the tracks for cars going straight. It can be a mini-gridlock situation at its worst, but most people are aware of the situation, and train schedule, so there are not accidents. Moreover, if people need to move, horns will sound, and cars will get out of the way, though it's a rare occasion when I have seen that happen.

Absent a mechanical breakdown, or traction issue during snow/ice storms, as that can hamper crossings because there can be ice build-up before/after the raised roadway where it meets the trackbed, I am not aware of cars getting stuck at that particular intersection. Now, a couple of stops away, in the same town, but not the same area, someone was driving a rental car a few years ago that had an early GPS that told him to turn right. Immediately on the other side of the tracks, there is a right turn onto a Parkway, but the area has thick vegetation and trees, so if one is not familiar, they might think the trackbed is a roadway. The vehicle ended up stuck on the tracks, and was struck by a train, albeit at low speed as there is a station not too far from the accident site. Service was interrupted on a busy commuter line for a while because of the accident.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-13-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM

968 posts, read 1,125,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Something doesn't add up... If the other motorist had pulled in front while you were stopped and your car did not move, how did she not have room to reverse in the direction from which she came?
Ok...she did have room (which is why her car wasn't obliterated), there is one car length between the crossguard and the track and i was on the other side of the guard. she was an idiot and wanted to move farther away because her bumper looked like it was hanging over the tracks, but there was a truck behind me, a car behind the truck and so on...traffic...got it?

Quote:
Also, I don't care what lesson you want to teach someone, you are playing with lives. Sure, she made a stupid move, but a responsible motorist should do everything possible, including backing sideways onto a shoulder, median, etc. to get the other car off the track -- not just sit there. Just because you wanted to prove something to her, you put her life and the lives of people on the train in jeopardy? Good grief!
i didn't teach her a damn thing! she cut me off and got on the tracks while i stopped within a safe distance (as i usually do) there were 2 lanes and cars in each lane, the car in the next lane over backed up behind the guard and sat there but he wasn't as close to the track as she was, she got out of her car and came over to mine to yell at me after backing up to the crossing guard, so i knew she was safe away from the train. get it?

Quote:
What if the train struck her car? What if she were killed? So what if she cut you off? For that, she or someone else on the train deserves to be severely injured or killed? Get over it, seriously -- please think next time and don't let anger/emotion/perceived slights take control. I would sooner smash my own car into guard rail, drive onto a soft shoulder and get stuck in the mud, absolutely anything to make sure a fellow motorist (even a stupid/arrogant one like someone who cut me off at the last second) would not get struck by a train because those situations do not usually end well.
oh my god...chill out. what if what if what if, again she was yelling at me standing next to my car...remember that little detail buddy. had she stayed in her car while that train was coming, i would have been obligated to A: open her door, or B: smash her window unlock her door and pull her from the car. and had her car been trashed, i would have offered the ***** a ride home. i'm smug, not retaliatory.

you've seen my posts, you know i'm not that kind of person, i'm actually insulted that you would call me out like that bmwguydc.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 10-13-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: angry misspellings

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM

29,328 posts, read 17,450,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Another post, elsewhere i this forum, mentioned a car getting stuck on the tracks and getting hit by a train. I've always wondered how people end up getting stuck. I assume that some stop on the tracks, when a nearby light is red, and end up stuck but some stories I have heard are different. So how does it happen? Driving too slowly? Some other reason? Discuss.
99.5% driver error.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:21 PM

9,262 posts, read 14,922,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
Ok...she did have room (which is why her car wasn't obliterated), there is one car length between the crossguard and the track and i was on the other side of the guard. she was an idiot and wanted to move farther away because her bumper looked like it was hanging over the tracks, but there was a truck behind me, a car behind the truck and so on...traffic...got it?

i didn't teach her a damn thing! she cut me off and got on the tracks while i stopped within a safe distance (as i usually do) there were 2 lanes and cars in each lane, the car in the next lane over backed up behind the guard and sat there but he wasn't as close to the track as she was, she got out of her car and came over to mine to yell at me after backing up to the crossing guard, so i knew she was safe away from the train. get it?

oh my god...chill out. what if what if what if, again she was yelling at me standing next to my car...remember that little detail buddy. had she stayed in her car while that train was coming, i would have been obligated to A: open her door, or B: smash her window unlock her door and pull her from the car. and had her car been trashed, i would have offered the ***** a ride home. i'm smug, not retaliatory.

you've seen my posts, you know i'm not that kind of person, i'm actually insulted that you would call me out like that bmwguydc.
I am sorry if I touched a nerve, but the way the post read was that the car could not back up and that you were teaching someone a lesson with the language "but i think that was a lesson learned that she'll never forget." I admit that I do read things incorrectly, as the written word is incapable of conveying emotion, so I apologize for ascribing a level of passivity that was not present in the situation that read as though it was designed to teach a lesson.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,259,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I am sorry if I touched a nerve, but the way the post read was that the car could not back up and that you were teaching someone a lesson with the language "but i think that was a lesson learned that she'll never forget." I admit that I do read things incorrectly, as the written word is incapable of conveying emotion, so I apologize for ascribing a level of passivity that was not present in the situation that read as though it was designed to teach a lesson.
Which is why I always use these! Don't make fun peeps, use them!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM
PDD

5,743 posts, read 5,483,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Another post, elsewhere i this forum, mentioned a car getting stuck on the tracks and getting hit by a train. I've always wondered how people end up getting stuck. I assume that some stop on the tracks, when a nearby light is red, and end up stuck but some stories I have heard are different. So how does it happen? Driving too slowly? Some other reason? Discuss.
The same way they get stuck in flood waters, driver malfunction.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM

3,932 posts, read 6,182,511 times
I tick people off in my school bus every day. It is a Federal law that school buses do the following at all RR crossings: stop 15-50 feet from the nearest track, turn off all noise (a/c, heater fans, radios, etc), open the entry door and driver's window and LISTEN.

Failing to do so is not only a Federal crime, it is also cause for automatic termination. I don't know the origin of the law, but might have come about because of a 1961 Colorado school bus/train crash that killed 20 kids and injured 16. If interested, this is the story:

The Crossing: Marking a long-ago tragedy : Local News : The Rocky Mountain News

We have one crossing where a convenience store is smack on the other side of the tracks. Cars park headed-in, parallel to the tracks. Sometimes, just as you start the bus across the tracks, one of those cars will start backing out of a parking space causing me to stop on the tracks. The County tells us, if that happens, and we hear a train coming, to knock 'em out of the way....do not get caught on those tracks! Can't think of any cars that a 33,000 pound, rear engine, diesel (Cat!) school bus couldn't handle...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive