Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I bought it for $4,650 (+$350 in fees, sales tax, etc.), so that's about 67%
(2/3) of the value. I do feel kind of ripped off, but I needed the car very badly, no similar deals were to be found in my area, and it seems to run fine. I do plan on driving it into the ground, or giving it to my mother if I develop intractable epilepsy (a very real possibility given my "condition") years down the road.

My "mechanic" buddies checked the fluids, and found nothing faulty with them.
Well then don't give the $$$ another thought. It's done, and there's no point in concerning yourself with something you can't change.

If you have a couple hundred $$$$ and want to really freshen the interior, replace the carpet and pad. It has 9 years and 118K miles of crud ground into it, and no amount of shampooing will get that all out. If you can work a socket set and screwdrivers, you can replace the carpet in an afternoon. You'd be surprised at how much better the interior will look and smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
01 BUICK PARK AVE 55,000 MILES (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2002424347.html - broken link)

Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
01 BUICK PARK AVE 55,000 MILES (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2002424347.html - broken link)
Wow...that's almost too good to be true. Most Park Avenues that old which have way more miles sell for $6,000 and up in Minnesota.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
For a salvage title car you may have overpaid significantly. In perfect condition, assuming it's the top of the line and loaded, super high retail is about $6800. Generally speaking, a salvage titled car should sell for half to 2/3 of what the same car with a clear title would sell for. There are exceptions and a range of prices, though.

That being said, if you really like the car, it's in excellent condition and doesn't cost you anything but gas and oil changes for a few years, you did OK. The salvage title will come into play mostly when you sell the car, so I'd be prepared to drive it until it dies so as not to take a big loss.

If the rust on the brakes is just surface rust from sitting for a while, it should scrub off after a few brake cycles. It'll be a bit noisy. I'd also consider replacing all the fluids, since you have no idea what's in there or how long its been in the the engine and tranny.
Actually, it had a "previous salvage title", but now has a "rebuilt" title or whatever the post-salvage title is in Minnesota. I look at it as a reconditioned / refurbished little piece of luxury. Also, I don't think you have to disclose that it had a salvage title if the sale price is under $4,000.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
It looks like you found a good Park Avenue. I think your price was pretty fair for a dealer purchase, given the title history -- since it was $5k delivered. When cars get below $5k, it can be difficult to find something that's reliable and in good condition. Average miles are good, I think, because too low can have problems, either from sitting or from short distance use in stop-and-go traffic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I'd say you got a good deal. Maybe you didn't steal it, but you did pretty well. It looks like a clean unit, particularly in an area where clean units are hard to find because of the extreme climate and use of salt and sand. The brakes are probably rusty from sitting at the body shop/dealer waiting for the body repair and they might improve or maybe not. Either way parts for the old Parks aren't expensive. The cars are really durable too. Good choice, and good color (there were some less than good colors available on that model).

On a 9 y/o reconstructed title car (i.e. ex-salvage), there is no standard loss-of-value for the branded title. On a late model car, a reconstructed title can lower the value by 30-40% depending on the repair job, especially if the car was under factory warranty (unavailable with total loss scenarios). A recently totaled, miles-over car that is 10 years old won't be reduced in value as much. (Because a lot of 10 year old cars are shrapnel, a clean ex-salvage unit in a sea of crap is still a nice unit no matter what).

The advantage to older, recently reconstructed cars is that there isn't any guesswork about why the previous owner got rid of the car. It is not unusual to inspect insurance auction cars to find some very nice, well maintained units (considering the damage that brought the vehicle to the auction in the first place).

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
Nice car, I wish I got a 5000 dollar "cash gift".

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Nice car! I have always loved the big Buicks. I had a 92 Park Avenue and loved it.

There is an old man at work pining away for a late 90s/early 2000s Park Avenue... he has a 97 Lumina now. He will find a good deal eventually.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Nice vehicle, Buick always have been great value vehicles. Comfortable ride, good-quality materials, and problem-free! Does that have the 3800 V6?
i just want to say your

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||__
|.......Budweiser.............. ||""\_____\
|_____________________/||__|___|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@)(@)*****|(@)

Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I bought it for $4,650 (+$350 in fees, sales tax, etc.), so that's about 67%
(2/3) of the value. I do feel kind of ripped off, but I needed the car very badly, no similar deals were to be found in my area, and it seems to run fine. I do plan on driving it into the ground, or giving it to my mother if I develop intractable epilepsy (a very real possibility given my "condition") years down the road.

My "mechanic" buddies checked the fluids, and found nothing faulty with them.
Forget about the two-thirds rule of thumb. Some of these salvaged cars are repaired to a point you will never now they are salvages. This is why the prices are not as low as one would anticipate. It's a nice car, now try shampooing the carpet along the passenger footwell. Other than that the car looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive