Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times

Advertisements

Up, up and away
My beautiful, my beautiful balloon

If some of you think that gas prices are going to stay this low forever you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Besides, this country's "gubbermint" couldn't make the right decision to BENEFIT the American people and be INdependent from foreign oil (like drilling in places special interests/lobbyists won't allow and allow for more oil drilling platforms period) if their lives depended on it in a matter of speaking.

Last edited by njguy; 10-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: corrected / added "in" to dependent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Yes but sadly people have done already begun to branch out, commuting even longer distances to work and such that they used to.

Automobiles don't need to be any smaller, just more efficient. Technology is increasing every day. Cars like the new V6 Mustang have the power of a V8 just a few short years ago and probably get better mpg doing it too.
The long commutes, and the sprawl development patterns that encourage them, need to go. I'm not saying we all have to live at Manhattan style densities...but somewhat higher population densities would be a positive thing.

I'm all for more efficiency in automobiles. But there is one downside to that. More fuel efficiency in autos effectively drives down the cost of driving...which, once again, encourages people to drive more (and then complain about traffic).

Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Besides, this country's "gubbermint" couldn't make the right decision to BENEFIT the American people and be dependent from foreign oil
Um, I think you meant "independent from foreign oil", didn't you?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, I think you meant "independent from foreign oil", didn't you?
LOL! correct! Thanks

I make mistakes when I'm tired, haven't been getting enough sleep lately.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
My short-term solution is to invest in beer and then sleep a lot.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Oh please, I think someone has been listening to the left-wing??? conspiracy theorists a bit much. We have PLENTY of oil still left in the ground which hasn't been tapped much of it in Alaska and Canada at the moment. I'm not sure where you are getting between $5-$10 either, even many "peak oil" conspiracy theorists don't believe we will hit that by 2012 at all.

Nonetheless, I'll still be driving my 14 mpg F-150 whether $3/ gallon or $10/ gallon.
No one is stopping you. Go right ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Canada, Brazil and ANWR acoording to what I've read will be expensive and a drop in the bucket for overall world oil consumption. Now if your burning around 42 gallons of gas a week at 10$'s a gallon that's 21,840$'s a year on just gasoline, how much did you pay for your truck? I'll keep my large 4 door truck for hurricane evacuations, but I'll have a small 4 banger commuter to get me back and forth to work.
Smart thinking. No one is forcing anyone to sell their gas guzzlers, but having a gas miser is a good way to offset things, especially if you have long commutes.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Let us not forget that the price can double over night and there is nothing we can do about it. They will give a reason but the oil spill is going to cost us not BP.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM

362 posts, read 392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My short-term solution is to invest in beer and then sleep a lot.
Sleeping a lot is way under rated.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I also follow the oil industry, what about different oil fields just recently being tapped in Canada or just discovered in Brazil? What about ANWR?

There are MANY great, reputable online resources debunking the MYTH of peak oil. Many oil analysts have even publicly said that there is no oil shortage.

And I commute roughly 35 miles each way to work but on average after doing errands, I'll put on about 80-90 miles each week. Burn about 6 gallons each day, still will be driving my truck even if I pay $10 gallon.
Thsoe fields have been known for deacdes. There i fact has not been a real sugnifcant find of a really large reserve in deacdes.What I am tyalkig about isn't even i the realm of alaskan oil that is nothign compared to the last find in saudi oil. Even then we do not know just how much is left there.But I agree until alterntives can be made in quanities at rrasonable prices ;oil is king escpailly since it also produces 19000 other products besides fuel. But remmeber that the long lines for gasoline in the 70's was only form a 155 shotage of crude supplies ;so don't thnik tis just a matter of price when consunptions goes back up. We are not the real growth in useage either ;it's china and other emerging markets.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Thsoe fields have been known for deacdes. There i fact has not been a real sugnifcant find of a really large reserve in deacdes.What I am tyalkig about isn't even i the realm of alaskan oil that is nothign compared to the last find in saudi oil. Even then we do not know just how much is left there.But I agree until alterntives can be made in quanities at rrasonable prices ;oil is king escpailly since it also produces 19000 other products besides fuel. But remmeber that the long lines for gasoline in the 70's was only form a 155 shotage of crude supplies ;so don't thnik tis just a matter of price when consunptions goes back up. We are not the real growth in useage either ;it's china and other emerging markets.
I promise you are right on the mark with your statements,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive