Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I refuse to have anything done, even a simple oil change, at a place like Firestone or Goodyear or Sears or WalMart. The bastards refuse to let the customer watch what they are doing. And charge twice as much for the privilege, and won't do it without an appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
My girlfriend just bought new tires from Firestone()....Just recently her emergency brake light came on. Seems like these idiots somehow managed to damage her brake line
Like I posted, drain the oil hot but then leave the car cool down an hour or 2, or even overnight, *then* do the filter. If the filter is an upside down one usually after a few hours it drains back and will be empty. Sideways filters (horizontally mounted) can be first loosened, then put a bread sack or similar with some paper towels inside over it, take it loose into the sack, contains the mess.

I forgot to add that my favorite ramps for oil changing are just a couple of 2X6 boards that I drive the front wheels up onto. This lifts the car just enough to allow putting a good drain pan (get a plastic one with the grid in the inlet, so you can just drop the drain plug and it will sit on the grid).

Or you can get a "topside" oil changer. These extract the old oil via the dipstick tube. I have not used one but have heard they work very well. This should be do-able even in a parking lot.

Find yourself a shop that uses the spent oil in a space heater, they will be glad to get your old oil. You can use a restaurant style "tub" like is used for bussing tables as a "secondary containment" for the used oil container.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Because you don't want to get fined or towed?
People are stealing millions from the gov and on wall street and you're worried about your apartment complex busting you for changing your own oil in a bad econmy... Maybe you're just lazy.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Like I posted, drain the oil hot but then leave the car cool down an hour or 2, or even overnight, *then* do the filter. If the filter is an upside down one usually after a few hours it drains back and will be empty. Sideways filters (horizontally mounted) can be first loosened, then put a bread sack or similar with some paper towels inside over it, take it loose into the sack, contains the mess.

I forgot to add that my favorite ramps for oil changing are just a couple of 2X6 boards that I drive the front wheels up onto. This lifts the car just enough to allow putting a good drain pan (get a plastic one with the grid in the inlet, so you can just drop the drain plug and it will sit on the grid).

Or you can get a "topside" oil changer. These extract the old oil via the dipstick tube. I have not used one but have heard they work very well. This should be do-able even in a parking lot.

Find yourself a shop that uses the spent oil in a space heater, they will be glad to get your old oil. You can use a restaurant style "tub" like is used for bussing tables as a "secondary containment" for the used oil container.
Walmart recycles used oil. Don't let them try to get you to dump it yourself in your street clothes. Their policy is for them to do that. I got a free gift card behind a walmart idiot trying to get me to walk through the garage with my oil.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I'm 29 and been changing my oil since I was 17. I'm about ready to start paying someone to change the oil now. The hot oil always gets all over the place since car companies don't put the filter in good place.,,,,
12 years and you still do not let the engine cool before changing the oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
My dad had a previous car taken to a dealership for the complimentary oil change that comes with a new vehicle purchase. The techs did not place oil plug properly after oil change and a few miles later, all the oil drained out of the car. Good thing we were almost home instead of on a freeway, possible causing a safety hazard to others.
My friend took his new truck in for the free 1500 mile oil change. Next morning as he pulled on the job site he had left a oil trail all the way in. Engine did not start later, seized. The dealer had forgot to tighten the drain plug.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
People are stealing millions from the gov and on wall street and you're worried about your apartment complex busting you for changing your own oil in a bad econmy... Maybe you're just lazy.
Are those people stealing millions going to pay the fines for me?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Then why do you keep going back?
Well, they are 1/2 mile from my home and the past issues have always related to not putting all the screws back in the under-engine tray.

- Tim

Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
At least try to have some what of a clue if your gonna post, violations of rental policies can get you evicted. If your stupid enough to risk it because you don't want to pay 30 bucks for an oil change then more power to you, others may not want to. Are you THAT special because you change your own oil?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
At least try to have some what of a clue if your gonna post, violations of rental policies can get you evicted. If your stupid enough to risk it because you don't want to pay 30 bucks for an oil change then more power to you, others may not want to. Are you THAT special because you change your own oil?
No, no, I get it now. The apartment agency also polices securities fraud; since they have their hands full at the moment, they won't have time to worry about the guy in the lot.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
I generally do the oil myself just because. But with what the materials cost now, i only save a few bucks by doing so. And like someone else said, its not really worth the hassle, mess, and trying to recycle to do so. I just don't like people messing with the cars unless necessary. Between dragging the jack out, doing the job, and cleaning whatever mess i make, it usually takes about 30 mins. Ill also check all the other fluids and check misc stuff during this time. My old vw is basicly a different animal, noone will touch that one but me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive