U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,785,064 times

Advertisements

Lately, it seems, Shell has been bombarding the media and mailings with " savings" to the consumer by putting gas purchases of Shell gasoline on credit cards and recieving credit based on cents per gallon.

What a rip -off !

I just returned from a 2400 mile trip and noticed Shell was always the highest priced gasoline of every gas station in town.

One place in Missouri, near the freeway, they were 10 cents higher than competitors.

Another place, the price quoted on the sign was the same as competitors........but that price was for cash customers.

Credit card customers paid 5 cents more .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM

3,136 posts, read 7,839,385 times
At most Shells, the "cash discount" also applies to Shell credit card users, so that evens it out a little.

I mostly agree though- around here the grocery store has a rewards program where every time you spend $100, you get 10 cents per gallon off a Shell gas fillup. I end up not taking advantage of this because Shell is often about 10 cents higher than other stations.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,843,282 times
Typically Shell stations are cleaner, and have real soapy water in the windshield reservoirs - they operate like premium gas stations - you pay a bit extra for the service and top tier gas.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,785,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Typically Shell stations are cleaner, and have real soapy water in the windshield reservoirs - they operate like premium gas stations - you pay a bit extra for the service and top tier gas.

---top tier gas--

I didn't get any better mileage when I filled with Shell than when I filled with other --lower tier ( sarc)--brands.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 AM

14,776 posts, read 34,192,708 times
Shell is one of the Tier One gasoline retailers. While some would argue that doesn't mean anything, my experience tells me it does, especially on turbo/super charged cars and performance engines.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:03 PM

42,670 posts, read 70,960,943 times
I've used the Shell credit card for years. The 5% discount, at $3-4 a gallon, comes to 15-20 cents a gallon. Normally, the only stations cheaper than Shell are the cut-rate pumps, which are not always careful about keeping their supplies clean.

It's also a good card, issued by a good CC bank (Citi) and I've never had any hassles with the card, which my wife uses as her everyday card.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM

674 posts, read 2,197,787 times
I don't understand how that is a ripoff.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,259,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Shell is one of the Tier One gasoline retailers. While some would argue that doesn't mean anything, my experience tells me it does, especially on turbo/super charged cars and performance engines.

I agree. I've had great luck with Shell in my turbo and supercharged cars. Hell, even in my n/a cars it runs very well. My closest gas station is a shell. Its about on par price wise with other gas stations in the area, maybe a couple of cents more. Around here, Mobil is the most expensive gas.

As for the rewards, Ralphs is running that promotion around here right now, but i haven't looked it up. I've got a Shell credit card, but opt to use my primary CC for fuel purchases since I favor airline miles over fuel rewards.

I use my gas cards on road or bike trips to keep track of fuel spending for one trip, then pay off the card.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM

860 posts, read 2,959,863 times
My friend has 2002 Audi Allroad with the twin-turbo V6 and both he and I had real problems with Chevron gas. It got so bad my old Santa Fe started getting 14-15 mpg in MIXED driving! We both switched to Shell three years ago and haven't looked back. It may be a few cents more per gallon but I believe it's worth it. I don't buy anything else.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,312,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So is Kwik Trip but they don't consistently charge 3-10 cents per gallon more than their competitors.

In my neighborhood there is a Shell station that consistently charges 25-30 cents a gallon more than any other nearby station, including the Marathon right across the street from it. And I still frequently see idiots pulled in there filling up. I mean, what's the deal? Are they giving away crack rocks with each fill-up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive