Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Michelin Pylons FTW.

RainX also has an additive for the washer fluid tank. An ounce of that to a gallon of water. If you regularly use the washer fluid you will have RainX on your windshield, without having to apply it by hand.
Why not just use rain-x washer fluid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,209 times
Default Aquapel

Try Aquapel,

it has a unique aplicator and lasts quite a long time between applications.
Its great for side lights and the back windshield and help with snow and ice removal!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
In real downpours, wipers and/or water repellent don't make a difference ...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Really? How long have you been driving, a week?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
In real downpours, and in snow blizzards, my wipers go a mile a minute. On high with no stopping.
One time going thru Baltimore we stopped early, because even with the wipers full blasting you could not even see the white line.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I bought new wipers for the Van. They take a 28 if I am not mistaken.
Well, these Michelin wipers squeek.
So now, I seriously don't know what brand to get.
The noise is annoying while driving in the rain and snow.
They are only one year old, but have been this way from the start.
What brand should I buy to avoid all that squeeking? Thanks......
Generally they recommend changing the wiper blades at least twice a year, preferably four, to reduce the wear on the windscreen and prolong it's life, and traffic safety.

They might last longer in milder climates with no winters etc, but I change mine twice a year on average, to ensure my windscreen doesn't get mauled.... again.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i just got the rain-x latitudes today, easy to fit for this none auto savy young lady, and they made an imediate difference from the ones that were on.
gonna do rain-x washer fluid/antifreeze too. i like rainx

Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
You can extend the life of worn out wiper blades by taking a razor blade and scraping the dried rubber off the blades. Get down to a fresh unoxidized rubber surface.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
I beg to differ.

I use rainex, spray it on the windshield and side windows and rear window.

Rub it in with a clean paper towel, let dry to a haze, then buff off with a clean cotton cloth. You have to buff thoroughly to remove all the haze. Usually sit inside the vehicle to see any spots you missed. How often it is applied depends on how much rain or snow occurs. But I usually get a month or so out of a single application. 15 mins is all it takes.

I rarely use my wipers, especially at highway speeds. The rain dances right off the windshield - even heavy rain.

Rainex also keeps the side and rear glass clean for a long time.

The washer fluid rainex makes is pretty good, but it does compare to a manual application on the windshield.

I get a chuckle when I see people driving with their wipers on full speed during a light rain event.

For wipers, I always buy the heavy duty winter wiper arms with the rubber covering. It prevents ice buildup on the wipers. I use them year round and usually get 2 years out of them.. I think their longevity is due to the fact that I apply Rainex - hence the use of the wipers is minimized.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I got the rain X wiper blades which weren't the cheapest or the most expensive brand. I noticed they did squeak for a while and leave a streak in the middle of the driver side. Now they clean evenly and don't squeak. I assume they need a break in period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive