Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I got all four of my struts replaced. The car's ride feels fantanstic again. Say what you will about the 2003 Malibu, but it does have a smooth comfortable ride. The repair shop told me the rear struts were leaking. It got me to thinking. What happens to a car if driven too long with bad struts/shocks? Any mechanics seen such situations come into their shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Gosh, I thought this was going to be an interesting thread. I'd like to read stories from mechanics who admit (anonymously on this forum) how they've screwed customers over.

Reminds me of an old Brian Bosworth (the football player) story - this is great. He had a summer job while in college at Oklahoma. He worked on an automobile assembly line. Old time senior assemblers taught him some nifty little tricks. Here goes.

Some car owner would bring his car in for repair as he keeps hearing a constant tapping coming from somewhere inside the car. The service people check it out and can't find anything. He takes the car back but the tapping continues. He brings the car back to the service people who check it out even more thoroughly this time - still nothing. The owner takes the car back again and the tapping is driving him nuts. Finally, he insists the service people figure this out. They painstakingly start disassembling the car piece by piece, the panels, chassis, the frame, everything.

Finally, as they get to the deepest innards of the car's frame in a cavity almost impossible to access, they find a little bolt suspended by a string which allows the bolt to bang against the side of the frame. On the bolt is a note which reads "Ha, You finally found me."

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What happens to a car if driven too long with bad struts/shocks?
It generally isn't a safe thing to do, but won't generally cause any major damage. What will happen is that road irregularities will be far more likely to upset the chassis and handling and braking will be compromised. So, you can drive on bad shocks/struts, but you should take it easy and be cautious. The bump you hit on the freeway at 75 will just feel like a bump in a regular car. In a car with bad shocks/struts that bump could cause you to lose control.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Bad struts will throw off your geometry and can potentially cause serious damage to chassis and steering components if you neglect them long enough. Same goes for tires.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Yeah.....a rather deceptive subject line to this thread???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive