Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Have it your way, I would never let a "pro" install one on my vehicle. The workers don't get paid enough and they probably aren't trained enough to do expert level work. The last thing I want is to have my car tied up for days not being able to start because the wiring was done poorly.
So you're speaking of tens of thousands of installers, at all levels, all over the country? Or are you so presumptuous as to speak of every mobile installer in the entire world? And you know that NONE of them get paid or are trained well enough to do quality work?

Anytime someone speaks of an entire industry as you have, it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So you're speaking of tens of thousands of installers, at all levels, all over the country? Or are you so presumptuous as to speak of every mobile installer in the entire world? And you know that NONE of them get paid or are trained well enough to do quality work?

Anytime someone speaks of an entire industry as you have, it's ridiculous.
You're not going to convince me any which way. I do my own work, I prefer it that way. I like to know from personal experience that everything is done right.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
If you haven't done a bunch of alarms before, dont make your first one a remote start. They are generally a more complex type of install. Tapping into the tach line, the brake lights, etc.
As far as having the 22 year old kid at best buy install it, i may agree, i wouldn't do it. However to overgeneralize the whole industry is silly. I have a friend that works at an independent stereo shop (who did my smart start years ago), you would be blown away b the stuff they do and how clean it is.
They usually do 5k systems in 50k cars for basketball players, but will do whatever you bring them.
Also remember, any car with a computer chip in the key, is an aded pita to get the smart start to work on. Im not sure about a 2002 van, but i know most cars/trucks people wanted to steal, by 2000 had computer chip keys.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM

143 posts, read 741,882 times
is it that cold in kansas that its a need for it? not exactly the northpole eighter ?he.he

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Also remember, any car with a computer chip in the key, is an aded pita to get the smart start to work on.
Not at all, modules are available for that. My Mopar setup came with a coil that's installed around the ignition switch which gets programmed using both keys and is permanently tied to the car.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not at all, modules are available for that. My Mopar setup came with a coil that's installed around the ignition switch which gets programmed using both keys and is permanently tied to the car.
Some are more difficult than others, and lower production vehicles don't always get the best attention from the remote starter manufacturers. My car was out for two years before there were any modules available for it. So we had to engineer a solution, and it took some work.

That shouldn't be a problem for the OP.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You're not going to convince me any which way. I do my own work, I prefer it that way. I like to know from personal experience that everything is done right.
The one thing I *never* farm out is automotive electrical work. Very few "techs" really know electricity the way a guy with a Physics degree and Navy Nuclear experience does.

They also almost always go with "quickie" dodge techniques like "Scotch-lok" connectors that are no where near as good as my solder and heat shrink connections.

I probably take 3-5X the time that a stereo shop would, and if I paid myself what I get at work I would probably cost 10X what a "pro" install would.

Know what? I simply don't care. Steak costs more than hamburger. I hate buggered wiring and so I DIY.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The one thing I *never* farm out is automotive electrical work. Very few "techs" really know electricity the way a guy with a Physics degree and Navy Nuclear experience does.

They also almost always go with "quickie" dodge techniques like "Scotch-lok" connectors that are no where near as good as my solder and heat shrink connections.

I probably take 3-5X the time that a stereo shop would, and if I paid myself what I get at work I would probably cost 10X what a "pro" install would.

Know what? I simply don't care. Steak costs more than hamburger. I hate buggered wiring and so I DIY.
Exactly. I don't want to come outside to flames licking out of the windows of my vehicle and not knowing in the slightest why. Scotch-loks were exactly what I was thinking of but I can never remember the name.

If anyone were to do my wiring it would be no less than a commercial electrician... since that is ridiculous, I do it. And like you said it takes a long time but well worth it. I could never do it for a living because no one would pay the labor costs! In addition to spending hours on the simplest wiring job I diagram all of my work and keep it on file, it makes troubleshooting a breeze.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Sillyness.

Anyways, the answer to the OP is find a good local stereo shop that can show you some work they are working on and will stand behind what they do. If it looks like a wreck, walk away. if they seem to have some pride in what they do, the way the shop looks, etc. Then talk price and how long they will stand behind it. DEI as made by someone else, is a good recommendation for product/brand.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
My parents use theirs' often. They want the inside of the car heated / cooled a bit before they get in. And they believe that cars need at least a few minutes to warm before driving them. Me, I'm not that picky about my comfort and don't think cars need to be warmed up very much as long as you don't race your car right after driving them. I see no point in a remote car starter and it just seems like a way waste gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive