U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
18,262 posts, read 15,688,802 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
My aunt had a 1984 Lincoln Continental Givency Edition that would cause people to ogle and stare everywhere she went. I remember riding in that car and feeling so priviledged to be sitting in all that luxury. I will never forget she even raced a Fleetwood Brougham which was being driven by another 60 something year old. Needless to say the Conti was much faster than the Caddy.
Sadly ennough the car started sagging, the suspension got noisy and the car left her staranded a few times. Eventually she got an Acura.
My doctor has been very pleased with his Town Cars. He owned an '89 and a '99. He told me that the '89 had over 250,000 miles with little trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Hialeah
809 posts, read 1,313,323 times
Reputation: 336
It would be nice if Lincoln could make a 300h.p Town car with GOBS of torque, and make the suspension glass smooth yet somehow hug the road on a twisty road. Then I am sure younger buyers will flock to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
4,734 posts, read 5,112,953 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
First off the Lincoln Twon cars in not priced at $50K, it's priced at over $46K.
First off, $50k is over $46k. And if you want to go $46k flat, then it's 90% of $50k, which in rounding off, means it's effectively $50k. Sorry.

And I'm sorry, but the top of the line Lincoln luxury car shoudl not be bought OR sold like a 5 gallon tub of mayo at Sam's Club. If you have to quibble over $3k in order to be able to afford a full size luxury car, something's wrong, especially when you have to give up style, materials, features, and raw ability to do so.


Quote:

Hyundai Genesis and Equus is not the same size as the TC;

TC Lenght;

1998–2002 SWB: 215.3 in (5469 mm)
2003–present SWB: 215.4 in (5471 mm)
1999–2002 LWB: 221.3 in (5621 mm)
2003–present LWB: 221.4 in (5624 mm)

Width; 1998–2002: 78.2 in (1986 mm)
2003–present: 78.5 in (1994 mm)

Hyundai Genesis;

Lenght
195.9 in (4975.9 mm)Width74.4 in (1889.8 mm)

And the New Equus;

Length5,160 mm (203.1 in)
(limo: 5,460 mm (215.0 in)) Width1,900 mm (74.8 in)

As you can see the Genesis and Equus are NOT true large sedans.
it's about INTERIOR VOLUME. Always has been in car classifications. What good is the wasted length if it translates into the same or smaller interior volumes?

Quote:
And besides some people don't want to sit "on" a car they want to sit "in" and that's what the TCs are for and meant to be.
Same with the Equus and Genesis. Unless you're driving on the roof.

Again, the point is, the big Lincolns have lost the plot. they used to be the best in class. When Elwood Engel styled them in teh '60s, they were understated and elegant, but technologically top of the class, and had the luxury and build wuality down pat. the modern TC has none of that in relation to the rest of it's class. And hell, it's worse in relation to it's '60s ancestor. For $50 large (ok, over 446 large) I'd rather own and drive a classic Lincoln or Caddy from the '60s. It'll be built better, it'll look better, the way it drives is understandable vs it's age, and it'll hold its value or appreciate. If I want a modern luxury car, the TC and DTS aren't even close to competetive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
18,262 posts, read 15,688,802 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
It would be nice if Lincoln could make a 300h.p Town car with GOBS of torque, and make the suspension glass smooth yet somehow hug the road on a twisty road. Then I am sure younger buyers will flock to it.
I agree.
I've always wondered why the Town Car had only 210-239 horsepower (depending on the year). The Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (before it was discontinued after 1996) had about 260 horsepower and the current DTS has 295 or 300 hp.

Since the 281-cu-in (4.6 L) engine is used in other Ford products such as the Mustang with more hp, I don't see why Ford does not use it in the Lincoln.

I suppose that Lincoln figures the average Town Car owner doesn't care if their car can hit 60 mph in 6 seconds. And I guess that Lincoln wanted to keep the fuel economy near 20 mpg.

Maybe some TC owners put in an old 460-cu-in Lincoln engine in their '90s and 2000s Town Cars?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
847 posts, read 1,689,740 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My doctor has been very pleased with his Town Cars. He owned an '89 and a '99. He told me that the '89 had over 250,000 miles with little trouble.
Same with my Great Grandfather.

The for the first Lincoln Town Car I remember him having was a Dark Blue 1988 Town Car with the Soft-Top. Have not gave him any problems at all.
http://images.carsforsale.com/259038/A0F7B46F-4148-4D07-BCAF-F54414838872_1.jpg (broken link)
(Sorry if the car's in this photo paint didn't accuraty match the color of the car I've described)


Then he sold it and got him a Burgundy 97' Signature Series with the Soft Top and thing was so huge in the backseat area you felt like you were in a limo almost lol. And he know problems with this car as far as know(especially since he's always been known to take good care of his cars).


Matter of fact when he went to a local dealership to sell the car this lady was at the dealership looking for a car then she saw my granfather's 97' TC, she told the car salesman that she would get that car the next day...then next day she went to the dealership and put the money down for the car and got LOL.

After that, he got himself another TC and this time it was like a Peanut Butter colored one that was a 2002 Signature Series along with the Soft-Top and had no problems with it as well. He later sold it and got himself an 07' 300C, but he said that he's thinin' about going back to the TC after he sell the 300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
 
1,669 posts, read 2,568,506 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
My aunt had a 1984 Lincoln Continental Givency Edition that would cause people to ogle and stare everywhere she went. I remember riding in that car and feeling so priviledged to be sitting in all that luxury. I will never forget she even raced a Fleetwood Brougham which was being driven by another 60 something year old. Needless to say the Conti was much faster than the Caddy.
Sadly ennough the car started sagging, the suspension got noisy and the car left her staranded a few times. Eventually she got an Acura.
5.0 vs. 4100...well that's an easy one. There's a 84 Continental some guy has been trying to sell for awhile, but he wants way more than I'd pay for it. Cool cars though and I would've liked to seen that rear on a coupe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
18,262 posts, read 15,688,802 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Same with my Great Grandfather.

The for the first Lincoln Town Car I remember him having was a Dark Blue 1988 Town Car with the Soft-Top. Have not gave him any problems at all.

(Sorry if the car's in this photo paint didn't accuraty match the color of the car I've described)
That one looks very good. I was considering looking for a mid-to-late '80s Town Car but decided on a '90s.
The main reason for buying my '95 was big-car room and feel with relatively good fuel mileage.

My favorites are still '60s and '70s Cadillacs (and Lincolns) but owning a '95 TC does come in handy many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
847 posts, read 1,689,740 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
First off, $50k is over $46k. And if you want to go $46k flat, then it's 90% of $50k, which in rounding off, means it's effectively $50k. Sorry.

And I'm sorry, but the top of the line Lincoln luxury car shoudl not be bought OR sold like a 5 gallon tub of mayo at Sam's Club. If you have to quibble over $3k in order to be able to afford a full size luxury car, something's wrong, especially when you have to give up style, materials, features, and raw ability to do so.




it's about INTERIOR VOLUME. Always has been in car classifications. What good is the wasted length if it translates into the same or smaller interior volumes?



Same with the Equus and Genesis. Unless you're driving on the roof.

Again, the point is, the big Lincolns have lost the plot. they used to be the best in class. When Elwood Engel styled them in teh '60s, they were understated and elegant, but technologically top of the class, and had the luxury and build wuality down pat. the modern TC has none of that in relation to the rest of it's class. And hell, it's worse in relation to it's '60s ancestor. For $50 large (ok, over 446 large) I'd rather own and drive a classic Lincoln or Caddy from the '60s. It'll be built better, it'll look better, the way it drives is understandable vs it's age, and it'll hold its value or appreciate. If I want a modern luxury car, the TC and DTS aren't even close to competetive.
Actually I didn't mean over $46,000 as if it was at $50K, I've meant at $46K as at $46,925.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
847 posts, read 1,689,740 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That one looks very good. I was considering looking for a mid-to-late '80s Town Car but decided on a '90s.
The main reason for buying my '95 was big-car room and feel with relatively good fuel mileage.

My favorites are still '60s and '70s Cadillacs (and Lincolns) but owning a '95 TC does come in handy many times.
Same with me.

I want to get a early-mid 70's Caddilac, Eldorado actually. But that's going to be hard to find especially in good or fair condition at a good reasonable price. So I might have to settle for a 1993-1996 Caddilac Fleetwood or Fleetwood Brougham until the time comes for the Eldorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
4,734 posts, read 5,112,953 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Actually I didn't mean over $46,000 as if it was at $50K, I've meant at $46K as at $46,925.
Still almost 95% of $50k, which is close enough to not matter. Especially when tax and title are added in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top