Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'll be heading to Minden, NV to visit my girlfriends family tomorrow and plan to leave from San Francisco, CA late tomorrow (maybe 6-7pm). I've been checking the California DOT site over the past few days and it looks like many sections of our trip (HWY 80, HWY50, HWY89) require snow chains and I haven't even checked the Nevada DOT site but its only going to get colder there (Minden hit -1F a day or two ago and will be in the single digits or low 10's while I'm there until driving out Saturday night). There may be a snow storm on Saturday as well.

I was planning to take my Infiniti G35 but since snow chains are required I realized that they won't clear my rear fender arch because the car is lowered. I've made this same trip in this car before but I never had to deal with snow directly on the roads. For this reason, it looks like I'll have to take our 2006 Nissan Maxima which is FWD. I know that I have to put the chains on the front wheels of this car but other than that I don't know much else about driving in snow. I realize that I have to be careful with the brakes and not use them if I'm sliding. Any tips would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,865,482 times
Use good bungie cords to snug the chains, have extras since they break. Your speed will be reduced with chains, at least any chians I ever knew about.

Have rags handy to clean up and a blanket you don't care about to kneel on, perhpas lay on, to hitch the inside links.

If the links end up too long on the inside, pass the last link thru the one that does line up with the hook. Get them on tight. Get someone who know to show you how to drive into the chains so you won't need to jack the car up.

In the case of FWD, you will back into the chains so you can hook the links with more hand working room.

Don't get bloody well run over doing this.

Have a heat source, fuel for it and food, with lots of stuff to stay warm for the event of being stranded.

Don't drive faster than yer angel can fly.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've practiced putting the chains on without jacking up the car. In the event that one breaks, how screwed am I?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,151,320 times
You don't necessarily need chains, these work as well and have a very slim profile:

Flex-Trax

Seeing how your leaving tomorrow it probably isn't practical to order some but maybe for the future. Mac gives good advice but I would go for the heavy duty solid black rubber "bungees" as opposed to the stranded core.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Lux, he may by law, but I don't know that. I just know out west you can be SOL on some roads if you don't show you have chains. I guess there are check points in bad weather, and everyone is stopped and chains are checked, perhaps installed.

It's.... I have never broken more than a cross link chain set, crossing the tire face, and I used wire to get me off the road, to a service station where that cross link was cut right off with torches, and a new one was installed.

The wiring up can be done 2 ways. One to mend the link that failed the other to tie up the loose ends so they don't beat the fender and paint to death. If one lets go you will hear it slap the fender, and you will not have any question about it.

No sudden nuthin either, taking off like a bat from hell is pointless, might get you stuck. Slammin on the brakes is just sledding mode... say weeeeeeee

Gain speed going up hill before you get there, try to stay nice and smooth. Going down slow down at the top, and use any flats to slow down more as the areas level, rather than slowing down hard on a steep grade.

If there is a plow line stay the hell away from it. You stick a tire in a plow line and it will suck you off the road on what ever side it's on. Back East here people who have no idea get yanked off the road all the time, and end up in the wildest places.

I don't know if you get black ice, but assume you do. What it is, is ice melt on the road that freezes clear, hence black.

If you need to pull off the road first make sure you can, and there is a drop off, then signal a long time before you do, or someone might follow you, if visabilty is bad.

If all fails crack a beer, Yell to any passanger Hold my Beer, and Watch This!

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 11-23-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 PM

lol, thanks a bunch Mac.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

I was only out that way once, but I know some places have real steep grades. In these if you think the car will shift down, assuming it's a auto shifting slush box, shift it down before it does, manually, and stay like that till things level out.

When the auto shift happens it changes everything. Feathering some throttle lightly can even help slow you down, better than just pulling your foot off the go pedal. It's all about steering.

Say you are surprised by a tighter corner than you expected, rather than slow down a lot, steer into it more, and stay about the same on the gas.

When things have settles some, then speed up or slow down as needed, smoothly....... Do not tailgate...

You can hum Smooth Operator all the way, once there, open the door and puke LOL

Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM

There are quite a few steep grades and sharp corners on the way. I was down that way about six moths ago when it was dry and it was quite a bit of fun in my car but its going to be all about cautious driving tomorrow. The Maxima is an automatic with manual shift function.

The trip is about 220mi and I believe I did it in well under 4 hours the last time I went. With snow and thanks giving traffic I'm thinking it will take almost twice that this time around.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Sartin..... That will slow you down. I doubt you can do much over 45mph in chains. Ride on chains in ice and snow and get them off asap on dry pavements, even just wet. Other wise the chains will be eatten up and kill your tires too boot.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,995,914 times
Looking at current satellite imagery it looks like the bulk of the storm has blown past.

If you're not leaving until tomorrow evening I-80 should be pretty well cleaned up. You can see real-time views of the summit as well as current restrictions here; Magnifeye.com - Road conditions and webcams for the Truckee/Tahoe area

The roads to Minden should also be pretty well cleaned off. We got hit with the same storm today here in Elko and all major roads are decent and easily navigable without chains.

I doubt you'll need to do any more with your chains other than carry them in the trunk. If you do need to use them on a front wheel drive vehicle just take it slow and use judicious power and traction to pull you around corners and obstacles. Be gentle with braking.

Allow extra time and space for everything you do and resist the urge to become overconfident after a few successful hours of driving on slick roads.

Bring plenty of warm clothes. They're predicting unseasonably cold temperatures over the remainder of the week. We're expecting -6 tonight with a high of 11 tomorrow followed by -14 Wednesday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive