U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Default Ever witness a bad accident?

This doesnt have to be automobile/transport related... share your stories.

The other night I was chilling outside a restaurant by where I live. Behind the restaurant, tucked back in the parking lot, is a Menards. Anyways, we're outside talking and we hear this sportbike revving up. Theyre very common up here in the summer months, so we dont really think anything of it. Then I get a glimpse of the guy as he rides in front of Menards (this was about 10 pm, Menards was closed) and proceeds to pick up speed, maybe to 30 mph. At this point we turn around and see him do a little wheelie and he lands it just fine. Not even 2 seconds after he lands, he revs it up again and does another FAST wheelie (maybe 60-70 mph---yes, in a parking lot ). As he's doing it, the bike goes straight up and over backwards, while he is thrown from it pretty hard. The bike skid about 50-60 yards across the parking lot and he must have done about 2-3 cartwheels and a nice long hip slide. We went over there, the bike was pretty mangled and leaking fuel everywhere, and there were pieces of bike EVERYWHERE. He was visibly shaken, and minus the huge gash in his right palm (which obviously needed stitches), he seemed ok. A Menard employee came out and helped him upright the bike (looked like a Honda CBR600RR) and let him inside the store.

That was quite interesting to say the least. Ive always wondered when I was gonna see one of those boneheads dump a bike. Im just glad he was ok, Ive known 2 people who have died on motorcycles, its a very serious matter. One second youre riding and enjoying life, the next second youre dead-dead-deadski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM

3,090 posts, read 743,190 times
One morning on my way to work (when I still lived in Georgia) I was approaching a traffic light. Red in my direction for the smaller side road. Green for the major road (55 MPH). I saw the guy get in the left turn lane and wait for several cars. Then I saw the light turn yellow. He decided to beat the red and turn left anyway. And the car coming at him had the same idea. Beat the red and hurry on to work. It was pretty damn scary. And I will NEVER forget that sound.
I jumped out of my truck to run over to the pay phone. (Cells weren't popular then) Forgot to set the brake. And it rolled off into a ditch. But that was NOT my concern at the time. I don't know the outcome of the accident. They carried them both off to the hospital. The guy in the left turn lane was a paramedic at the fire station that was about 500 yards behind me down that road.
It gives me chill bumps writing about it. NEVER, NEVER forget the sound of a 60 MPH impact. And the sight of the engine in the passenger compartment.
Which brings me to this. Don't try to beat the light. It ain't worth it.
I've seen a few others, too. But this is the one that has always stuck with me.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,564,075 times
The two i remember most was when i was a medic in the army
The first was an Tank that broke down and the Sgt on the tank got out
to see what was wrong , he popped the radiator cap off and everything shot up all over him, we are near him in an APC that we used as an ambulance
and when we lifted his pants to see the damage on his legs all the skin was peeled down to his butt cheeks ,all that was left was exposed meat and bones .

The second was down in FLa during war games when our Apc broke down and we had a recovery vehicle hook us up for a tow , The driver turned left
before he cleared all the threes and knocked a 60 foot pine tree right down on my back

Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
The two i remember most was when i was a medic in the army
The first was an Tank that broke down and the Sgt on the tank got out
to see what was wrong , he popped the radiator cap off and everything shot up all over him, we are near him in an APC that we used as an ambulance
and when we lifted his pants to see the damage on his legs all the skin was peeled down to his butt cheeks ,all that was left was exposed meat and bones .

The second was down in FLa during war games when our Apc broke down and we had a recovery vehicle hook us up for a tow , The driver turned left
before he cleared all the threes and knocked a 60 foot pine tree right down on my back
Yikes!

What on earth was he doing removing a radiator cap on a hot engine? You might as well spray napalm all over yourself, thats horrid stuff!!! Tragic....

Old 07-10-2007, 02:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,564,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yikes!

What on earth was he doing removing a radiator cap on a hot engine? You might as well spray napalm all over yourself, thats horrid stuff!!! Tragic....
Unfortunately people act before the brain has a chance to think
To this day
Anything that has to do with an engine i wait for the mechanic
i will not even put anti freeze or oil in myself (big chicken since that day)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM

41,861 posts, read 18,726,466 times
Three of them. First one was in 1975, I was 18 then and I worked at a grocery store, it was about 10:00 PM, we had just gotten off work. We were outside chatting then all of the sudden we heard a loud crash. A guy, who was drunk out of his skull rear-ended a car that was stopped at the intersection. We saw him going by real fast but we didn't think anything of it, we just thought he was another hot rodder on a Saturday night, until we heard the crash. All 3 of us ran up to the scene and he was laying on floor of his car, still alive, and the passengers in the car he hit were also hurt. The force of the crash pushed the car he hit about 200 feet forward and the rear of the car was crunched in.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 07-10-2007 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

1,198 posts, read 283,769 times
I witness a bad accident about 13 years ago, in Phoenix. Some lady tried to turn another lane and another car didn't see her do it, so they hit. My husband and I were just 4 cars behind that car and when we drove up, he went up and ask the driver, "Are you okay?!" And she said , yes. So, we went on after that.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM

4,781 posts, read 1,469,265 times
This thread makes me think of what almost happened to my family.

We were traveling to Disneyland on vacation. We were on a long boring straight stretch of hwy ,with nothing but orchards for miles.
We were going along at about 75mph and out of nowhere a car pops out of a dirt side road from the orchards. We were in the fastlane and this car comes straight across both lanes and parks sideways in our lane and just stayed there. This happened so fast. My husband knew at that speed we were traveling ,there was NO way to hit the brakes and miss him.
My husband in a split second looked at our passenger side mirror, checked the lane next to us for cars and moved our van at around 75 mph around the car. We went up on two wheels.....and were going toward the orchards... he then had to staighten us back out without flipping the van.
He did it!!!!!....I still don't know how we missed that car and kept from rolling. God was really looking out for our family and for the man in the car.
I know if my husband would of hit the brakes and tried to stop we all would not be here today.
We had our three children with us and I was 8 months pregnant.
I had a boy and he turns five this month.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM

41,861 posts, read 18,726,466 times
Second accident I've witnessed was in 1981. I lived in an apartment near a busy street at the time and I was outside by the pool with a couple of more people, when we saw this Jeep Wrangler going by real fast and if I remember correctly, somebody pulled out infront of him, and when he tried to avoid a crash, his Jeep rolled over a few times and caught on fire. He was wearing his seat belt and we pulled him out of the vehicle. Unfortunately we heard a couple of days later that he died from his injuries.

The third, and probably the most horrific accident I've ever witnessed happened in August of 1993. I pulled out of a grocery store parking lot and stopped at a nearby intersection for the red light, then two bikers on Harleys pulled up in the adjacent lanes and they started revving up their engines, and it looked like they were about ready to race. The light turned green and both bikers took off racing. I was just driving at a normal pace when all of sudden about a half a mile ahead of me, there was another light that turned yellow then red and one of the bikers went through it, but the guy behind him tried to go through the red light and a gal in a little Nissan, who went through the intersection, and he slammed right in the side of the car. He wasn't wearing a helmet and his head hit the area on the roof right above the window, which is supposed to be one of the strong areas of the car. He hit the roof so hard that it put a deep dent in that area, I believe it's called the roof pillar. He was killed instantly and an investigation later revealed that both buys were drunk and had just gotten out of a bar before the accident happened.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,536,427 times
Where I live, the lobstermen have boat races during the summer- essentially, drag races with lobster boats. In the early days, before cell phones, most communication was done via handheld 2-ways. The organizers make sure to clear the course prior to any race (there are usually 20+ races on one day), and most everyone has to call them for permission to cross the racecourse, even when a race in not going.

We were on my fathers boat, in the channel of a nerighboring island, watching the "cigarette boat" (lots of power, little visibilty in thsoe boats- and they are very impressive!) race, when I watched in horror as an outboard full of people I know (including a school chum) crossed the race course, directly into the path of the racing powerboats. The smaller outboard was essentially cut in half, and my friend was literally run over with the propeller of one of the larger race boats- half of her head was split open and with the nearest trauma center being very far away, there was a good chance she could have died right there in the harbor. But the MediVac helicopter was brought in and was able to remove her to the mainland for treatment. She fully recovered, but I don't think anyone who watched it happen has...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive