Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Line up in both lanes at a stop sign or redlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
As a former trucker, I have a huge pet peeve with 4 wheelers.

When traffic on the freeway is heavy and people are trying to merge, EVERYONE wants to get right up on the rt front corner of the "big slow truck" and cut in front.

This is ESPECIALLY bad in L.A. Most notably the 405. And the 101.

I hate this because number 1, I CAN'T SEE THEM down there over the hood of the truck. Number 2, It's flat-out rude. Number 3, If I let everyone in ahead of me, I'll never get anywhere.

The laws give right-of-way to the vehicle in the traffic lane, it's the MERGING vehicle's obligation to merge.

If the 75 foot long big rig doesn't want to let you merge and the 5 cars behind you cut him off, you now know WHY.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:27 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Or seems weird? That is, you wonder what they are doing or why.
I-5 through most of Oregon and a lot of Northern California have wide shoulders in the mountain areas. They are basically a lane width.

Even though these extra wide shoulders don't officially count as a traffic lane, most trucks that can't maintain the speed of the traffic while climbing a steep grade will use these shoulders to stay out of the way of the faster traffic.

It's not uncommon for a truck to barely maintain 30 mph while climbing an uphill stretch.

And some truckers just refuse to take the shoulder and get outta the way.

STUPID!!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Semi trucks move america everything tou ear, wear, drive, is delivered by trucks. How would you like to be driveing 3 weeks srteight, sleeping in a truck every nite, eating out all the time, ans seeing your family for a couple days a month. Most of these truckers don't get paid by the hour, but buy the mile. Yes some truckers are aggressive, but there re people in cars or motorcycle that like to weave in and out of traffic all the time. A semi cannot stop on a dime like a car, if remember also when traveling behind a semi the driver cannot see you on his right side thats a big blind spot. And JB Hunt is right up there eith Schneider. My daughter drives truck and she tells me about all the idiot car drivers that like to play chicken with a 3 ton truck, if you get hit you will loose. A car will never win if they get hit.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I-5 through most of Oregon and a lot of Northern California have wide shoulders in the mountain areas. They are basically a lane width.

Even though these extra wide shoulders don't officially count as a traffic lane, most trucks that can't maintain the speed of the traffic while climbing a steep grade will use these shoulders to stay out of the way of the faster traffic.

It's not uncommon for a truck to barely maintain 30 mph while climbing an uphill stretch.

And some truckers just refuse to take the shoulder and get outta the way.

STUPID!!
Since this is such a big deal to you I assume you'd be ok with paying the ticket if a trucker got stopped for illegally driving on the shoulder, right?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:40 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I can think of only one instance where a trucker bothered me. In moderately heavy traffic he was in the left lane (illegal here) preventing people from passing and contributing to slowdown. Other than that, I've had not one issue with truckers I can think of. Overall they seem to be among the safest drivers I see on the road. Now cops on the other hand...

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
When they run the red light (making a left), causing everyone waiting at the light to wait for them to finish their super slow red-light-running turn. Then by the time they finish said turn, the light has already begun to change for the cross traffic, making you sit through yet another red light.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
When a trucker passes another trucker with a 1 mph speed differential

When a construction truck doesn't secure the crap that he's hauling so rocks spew out of the back

Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Commercial trucker Pulling into Walmart at 3AM 3 ft from your RV, a firing up their Reefer. (please use truck stops!)

I am a current an early retired 'recreational trucker' (PT / harvest time, Christmas, HIGH PAY rtes, and weekends) r.. 40+ yrs CDL. ALL mtn statess.

I have PO'd countless 4 wheelers (Who are clueless about how long it takes to get 105,500# rolling, and long it takes us to STOP.)

I have distain for one 4 wheeler in particular... DOT guy. He can really wreck your day.....to the tune of a few thousand dollars.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
When a trucker passes another trucker with a 1 mph speed differential

When a construction truck doesn't secure the crap that he's hauling so rocks spew out of the back
Oh yes, this. Forgot about this huge pet peeve. Even better they have a placard on their truck that says 'not responsible for damage to your vehicle ' as a river of rocks spray out the back. Wanna bet?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive