Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

My biggest pet peeve is lazy flatbed operators who can’t be bothered to broom the deck off before bombing down the interstate. Some of these steering wheel holders don’t even realize they’re peppering everyone else with rocks etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Since this is such a big deal to you I assume you'd be ok with paying the ticket if a trucker got stopped for illegally driving on the shoulder, right?
I drove the stretch of I-5 I spoke of every week for 12 years, and always took the shoulder when I couldn't maintain speed, and was NEVER ticketed.

I was passed by law enforcement more times than I can count and no one stopped me for going slow on the shoulder.

I've even done it down in California on The Grapevine and never been hassled.

I know there is (or was, in oregon at least) a $420 fine for "driving on the shoulder", but in the case of a slow moving vehicle using the shoulder to stay out of the way of traffic, it isn't enforced. That situation falls outside of the reasons the law was written, such as driving on the shoulder to bypass a traffic jam, or other reasons that have little to do with the safety of staying out of traffic.

IT'S WHY the shoulders were made a LANE WIDTH in those mountain areas.

Do you really want to be stuck behind a big rig going 30 mph when everyone else is whizzing by at 60 plus? Do you want to be the big rig who's holding up behind you?

Throw on the caution lights and GET OUTTA EVERYONE ELSE'S WAY.

Last edited by tommy64; 07-12-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
There was one incident where I had to swerve up on the center island of a rotary to avoid a trucker who blew through a yield sign and then cut over into my lane. I don't know that "annoyed" is the right word, however; more like "scared of impending doom."

I think that was a few years ago, to put it in perspective. I find truckers are usually among the most courteous and skilled drivers on the roads. But I also find that you get what you give on the road, as well. If you give courtesy, most other motorists will repay in kind.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
When one of them going 66 mph tries to pass one going 65 mph.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
When a trucker passes another trucker with a 1 mph speed differential

When a construction truck doesn't secure the crap that he's hauling so rocks spew out of the back
And when they have those signs saying "not responsible for broken windows".

Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
I feel for the truck drivers they have to deal with these little econoboxes zipping in and out of lanes cutting them off. These little cars think it's nothing for a truck to stop with all that weight. Then again these econobox drivers cut all vehicles off that are bigger than them not just tractor trailers

Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I feel for the truck drivers they have to deal with these little econoboxes zipping in and out of lanes cutting them off. These little cars think it's nothing for a truck to stop with all that weight. Then again these econobox drivers cut all vehicles off that are bigger than them not just tractor trailers
Yes!!

And if anything results in an accident, the CDL licensed trucker is held to a MUCH higher standard by the law because he's supposed to drive like a "pro".

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
For the most part they are better drivers than us. Only thing that bugs is when they go side by side under the poster speed limit for miles & miles. This is obviously a tactic to **** us off and it's a childish game. I respect them and all that they do, but don't hog up both lanes.
They're not doing it on purpose. Most company owned trucks have a speed governor that limits them to somewhere between 60 and 65 mph, so sometimes you'll get a guy attempting to make an ill-advised left lane pass where he is only capable of outrunning the guy in the right lane by 1-2 mph, which takes forever and clogs up the passing lane. A better idea would be just drop back a couple mph and suck it up, but some guys just can't handle the thought of that.

I try not to pass unless it's an easy one where I can get by quickly, but occasionally you get that other truck that's genuinely being obnoxious, going 55 in a 65 or whatever.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
My biggest pet peeve is lazy flatbed operators who can’t be bothered to broom the deck off before bombing down the interstate. Some of these steering wheel holders don’t even realize they’re peppering everyone else with rocks etc.
The dirt haulers who don't tarp the top of the trailer definitely tick me off. It's technically a ticket but some areas don't enforce it.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The dirt haulers who don't tarp the top of the trailer definitely tick me off. It's technically a ticket but some areas don't enforce it.
There called gravel trains .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive