Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
The fact that they exist seems to annoy most people.

Remember this, the only thing not delivered by trucks are babies.

Think about this next time you feel annoyed.
Lots of people have jobs vital to our way of life. Doesn't give 'em an excuse to be an ass while going about it.

Quote:
You are at their place of business, they are not at yours.
Again, not a unique situation. A place of business is still a place where there are rules about how things get done as well as common courtesy. It's not a free pass to do whatever the heck you want.

Quote:
Maybe the next time you hold them up they can go to your work and prevent you from earning a living.
Who's holding up whom? Truckers are the ones blocking all the lanes and slowing us down to a trickle. And what if part of my making a living involves me driving around in a car all day? By your logic, the slow trucks keeping me from getting to my next destination are preventing me from earning a living, too.

Quote:
One or two miles per hour is a big deal to truckers. If they can get past another truck that they have been following for miles, that prevent them from going as fast as their truck can run then you can just wait until they complete the pass.
If it's THAT much of a big deal, crank it up that mile or two when passing and get it over with. Seriously, the speed difference needed between two vehicles in order to make a timely pass is not all that much. Step out to pass, hit it, get past, get over. Yes, I know a truck isn't that fast, but it isn't that slow, either. And I know the next argument is 'Oh, well, hitting the gas wastes fuel and costs the driver more'. Well, then decide which is more important: going that much quicker or saving that much more gas. You can't have it both ways.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Dump trucks going 80 MPH in the left or #2 lane while spewing rocks all over the place. And on the back of the trailer, a big white sign: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN OR CRACKED WINSHIELDS.
You're safe as long as you can see that sign.

It's extremely unlikely that your glass will be broken by rocks falling off a vehicle going the same way you are. When the rocks come off the truck, they are already going highway speed, unless Newton was wrong and I haven't been told. Which means the rocks are going the same speed you are, until they slow down, at which point they are no longer bouncing as high as your glass.

Broken glass come from rocks coming off trucks going in the oppsite direction, which hit your car at 150 mph impact.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Lots of people have jobs vital to our way of life. Doesn't give 'em an excuse to be an ass while going about it.

Again, not a unique situation. A place of business is still a place where there are rules about how things get done as well as common courtesy. It's not a free pass to do whatever the heck you want.

Who's holding up whom? Truckers are the ones blocking all the lanes and slowing us down to a trickle. And what if part of my making a living involves me driving around in a car all day? By your logic, the slow trucks keeping me from getting to my next destination are preventing me from earning a living, too.

If it's THAT much of a big deal, crank it up that mile or two when passing and get it over with. Seriously, the speed difference needed between two vehicles in order to make a timely pass is not all that much. Step out to pass, hit it, get past, get over. Yes, I know a truck isn't that fast, but it isn't that slow, either. And I know the next argument is 'Oh, well, hitting the gas wastes fuel and costs the driver more'. Well, then decide which is more important: going that much quicker or saving that much more gas. You can't have it both ways.

Mike
Now that you have proven you don't have a clue about trucks, what else you got?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
For the most part they are better drivers than us. Only thing that bugs is when they go side by side under the poster speed limit for miles & miles. This is obviously a tactic to **** us off and it's a childish game. I respect them and all that they do, but don't hog up both lanes.
Not necessarily, and it appears to be the main complaint in this thread. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes. If we're both governed at 65 capable of 67 max, what's to say he's carrying the same weight I am? I've had it happen......spent 10 miles behind the same truck and had some pedal to spare the whole time and the minute I get out and try to take him I lose his draft and then the "rolling roadblock" occurs. Trust me, I don't want to be out in the LH lane more than you don't want me out there. Usually the other truck driver will be courteous and back off and let me in, if not I'm screwed.

Keep in mind also that due to erratic hours, lack of home time, having to maintain a near perfect driving record in and out of the truck, the turnover rate in trucking employment is very high so the noobs are going to be human and make mistakes sometimes.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,400 times
The only things that really get to me are tailgating and when they rty to pass other vehicles on a big hill...like in Tennessee going over Jellico

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
A lot of truckers contend they don't like to be in the left hand lane - if that's so, then why do I see at least a dozen a day just cruising in it?

Although I do admit that my dislike for trucks is probably influenced by the exceptionally high number in the D/FW area. Other places I go, there aren't near as many.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
I have more of an issue with the idiots who sit on the bumpers of big trucks, and the idtios who are complete jerks to the trucks and pass them on the right.

When two trucks are hogging up two lanes, side by side, it's an annoyance, but there's usually another lane to pass them.

The only time I've ever really hated a truck driver was when one changed lanes in the middle of an intersection with no turn signals and nearly killed me as I was passing him in the left lane. And then he had the nerve to flip me off. It's very unfortunate that I didn't get the "how's my driving?" number on the back of the truck.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike
You are ignoring the margin of error between the 'governed' speed of both trucks. Something as simple as worn down tires can allow one of two 'equally' governed trucks to be faster than the other. When 65 m/h is all they have to work with, its a constant challenge to maintain top speed on a long haul. They're on the road to make money, cut'em some slack!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You are ignoring the margin of error between the 'governed' speed of both trucks. Something as simple as worn down tires can allow one of two 'equally' governed trucks to be faster than the other. When 65 m/h is all they have to work with, its a constant challenge to maintain top speed on a long haul. They're on the road to make money, cut'em some slack!
Then don't get in the passing lane.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Annoys me? Like the one (trucker) on I-81 in northeast Tennessee yesterday... I (as well as a stream of cars close behind me) was in fast lane, going about 77 mph (speed limit is 70 mph)... he is in slow lane behind a truck going about 65 mph, then decides to cut in front of me suddenly just as I get to him and I had to heavily apply the brakes with other cars close on my tail... when he got over, I let him know I was not happy by flooring the car and passing him briskly. Road rage? Perhaps, but I was not very happy... the stunt he pulled causes accidents.

Tennesseestorm, I wasn't there and I'm not going to excuse bad driving on any trucker's behalf. But I may be able to offer an explanation: The trucker in the right lane may have been closing in on the big rig in front of him. He saw an opening with a line of cars behind it. He should've taken into consideration the speed he had, the weight he was hauling, an educated guess about how the truck he was approaching was loaded. He probably considered all this (or should have...) and decided that he could get around the truck ahead of him without slowing down the line of cars you were in by too much. Guesstimating the speed of approaching vehicles isn't an exact science, either. Especially 7 mph over...

I'd also like to offer that it's frustrating to get behind a slower truck and when you finally see an opening and turn on your turn signal, the car driver closing in on you (with a long line of cars behind him...) speeds up to prevent you from passing...

Crew Chief

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-11-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive