Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,851,469 times

Advertisements

In my city there are a few off ramps that are the primary access to particular towns and neighborhoods, these ramps back up daily with a line of cars exiting, sometimes for quite a distance, and every single day many rude motorists forces his/her way in, like it is his right to do so. I was stuck in one of these yesterday and was appalled at the aggressiveness of a few vehicles doing this, actually making the other car have to move away to avoid contact. I was even more pissed at the cars correctly in the queue for allowing it, as if they felt they would somehow be at fault if contact were made.

I never would allow it, I'm right on the bumper of the car ahead of me and just ignore a car or truck trying to force me off the road just because they have their signal on, I wont move over an inch. Every single one of this idiots does this every day, its not like they accidently missed the off ramp, they know and they just count on wimps to let them in. I'm not talking about a high traffic situation where people need to merge on and off a road and it is a logical boy/girl sequence, I will absolutely follow that.

You are not required to let someone do this! It will completely be the fault of the other motorist trying to cut the queue- Hummer or not- don't do it!
You idiots know who you are. Make 'em sit on the side of the lane stuck behind a concrete median with their signal on helplessly and yelling at us for being mean by not letting them get their way!? Take pictures or quickly tape the other car trying to force his way in with your mobile for evidence.

I'm the guy who will always stop a car length or more to allow someone out of a lot or side street as I approach traffic at a stop light, and if you are signaling to change lanes I'll adjust my speed to allow you to do so. But don't push it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM

664 posts, read 2,088,497 times
I typically do not allow it either.... here you can get ticketed for not merging soon enough and then trying to cut your way in.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,309,492 times
People let them cause it's not worth the hassle, the diminished value of your car and the hindrance of traffic flow it creates.

Just cause someone else is an ass doesn't mean you need to stoop to their level.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,115,680 times
I try to be extra nice to everyone as long as they arent on the cell phone or texting..THEN Im not nice,In fact Im down right aggressive looking for any way I can to cause them a problem. If a person on the cell phone causes a wreck with me I CALL AN ATTORNEY BEFORE I EVEN CALL THE MEDICS...

Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,273,371 times
In California some idiots will stop in the # 2 lane with traffic going 70mph behind them if the #1 lane is backed up until someone lets them in. And they wonder why people shoot at them.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,642,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
In my city there are a few off ramps that are the primary access to particular towns and neighborhoods, these ramps back up daily with a line of cars exiting, sometimes for quite a distance, and every single day many rude motorists forces his/her way in, like it is his right to do so. I was stuck in one of these yesterday and was appalled at the aggressiveness of a few vehicles doing this, actually making the other car have to move away to avoid contact. I was even more pissed at the cars correctly in the queue for allowing it, as if they felt they would somehow be at fault if contact were made.

I never would allow it, I'm right on the bumper of the car ahead of me and just ignore a car or truck trying to force me off the road just because they have their signal on, I wont move over an inch. Every single one of this idiots does this every day, its not like they accidently missed the off ramp, they know and they just count on wimps to let them in. I'm not talking about a high traffic situation where people need to merge on and off a road and it is a logical boy/girl sequence, I will absolutely follow that.

You are not required to let someone do this! It will completely be the fault of the other motorist trying to cut the queue- Hummer or not- don't do it!
You idiots know who you are. Make 'em sit on the side of the lane stuck behind a concrete median with their signal on helplessly and yelling at us for being mean by not letting them get their way!? Take pictures or quickly tape the other car trying to force his way in with your mobile for evidence.

I'm the guy who will always stop a car length or more to allow someone out of a lot or side street as I approach traffic at a stop light, and if you are signaling to change lanes I'll adjust my speed to allow you to do so. But don't push it!
Only a fool will argue with an angry rude person/driver since you know neither their state of mind nor their capabilities i.e. guns or other weapons in the car.

It's smarter and lifesaving to just take a few more minutes and get home safely cause a rude angry driver ain't worth your life!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,851,469 times
You can make your intentions of thwarting any attempt to cut in known without arguing or making any eye contact. I just calmly listen to KPBS and go about my way. I never yell or argue at anybody while driving.

My initial rant overstated my reaction, I'm actually a very calm driver.- I'm not getting angry and while someone might shoot me for not letting them try to run me off the road I hardly think that is a likely possibility. If someone appears to be especially aggressive I'll be taking a picture of them and their car and they will know I'm doing so. I'm just making life deservedly more difficult for the *******s amongst us and hoping more don't cave.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,516,534 times
I'll let them run into the wall before cutting in. **** them

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,415,797 times
I'll bend metal.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,389,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

You know what's really fun?

Picking you people out, specifically, to wait and watch for you to miss that split-second opening and darting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive