Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This happens a lot more often than you hear about in the news. I did more than see it on the news though. I'm not going to get into how much that I was involved in supporting the search and rescue in this case, but one thing I learned is that search and rescue teams regularly save, or find, people in exactly the OP's scenario, and sometimes far worse (James Kim). Whether the media picks up on the case or not, is irrelevant.
Here is a recap of the Kim tragedy.

Kim Tragedy in the Oregon Rogue Wilderness | Narrative, Forum, Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not to belabor the point, but Kim's car did not break down. It was in perfect running condition when it got stuck in heavy snow. A completely different circumstance than the one addressed by the OP.
That's a difference. But is it that big of a difference? What difference does it really make if the car broke down or if it just got stuck? I"m not seeing any difference that matters. You're still stuck, you've got to find a wa back to civilization. You've got to survive. Seems to me that there is no difference. You should be prepared for it, and have some smarts. Walking back is not always the smartest thing to do. Sometimes it is, sometimes not.

Quote:
It would be interesting to find a statistic reflecting the number of families who perish because their car broke down, in otherwise driveable road and navigation circumstance. I'll wager very few. If your car mechanically breaks down, you will not die.
You setting conditions that may, or may not, exist. Under the conditions you state, the probability of death is extremely low. However, can you guarantee everyone reading this thread that they will only break down in those conditions?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I didn't set any conditions. The OP did.

The OP is about a mechanical breakdown, and a driver with mechanical skills and some tools can get a broken down car going again, in some circumstances, or communicate with assistance that can actually reach the scene. That kind of resolution is not the case if marooned by natural conditions, that make it impossible for the car to move, and rescuers unable to reach the scene.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
The wife and I were taking a vacation trip and our Dodge Caravan threw a rod about halfway to our destination. The wife owned this POS before we got married...I don't buy American, and should have known better than to attempt a long trip in it. It wasn't the "middle of nowhere", but we were 1000 miles from home.

We piled into the wrecker and told the driver to take us to the nearest Toyota dealer, which was about 30 miles away. They put us in a new Sienna in about three hours and we were on our way again.

I definitely don't recommend buying a new vehicle under these circumstances...your "bargaining power" is ZERO, LOL, but we were stuck.

Still have that Sienna, and she's about to click 200K!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Let's say I would go 500 miles from my home to some remote place and my car breaks down and is not drivable anymore, what to do? Any good solution?... Plenty, I'm quite used to such ordeals. I had a rural delivery route through rural WY, SD, ME, Colorado
my truck had over 3 million miles on it, it broke down on occasion... But I carried LOTS of spare parts and did lots of crazy repairs, as well as driving it 300 miles home in the night without lights, and 480 miles with a broken frame... I don't much like 'waiting around' for a ride home (got paid by the mile, not by the hr)

Actually I was looking for different advices.
...who should I call with cell phone? Police? What would they do? Would they get towing for me? Call a tow company or request the 911 operator to do so (be sure to have the $5 / month insurance noted below)

If it was 500 miles from my home it wouldn't pay off to tow my car which is worth less than I would pay for towing See below... I drive a whole fleet of 'throw-away-cars'. Leave them behind, they will get a 'mechanic's lien' for towing, and then you can buy it back for $50

And how to get back home? Ride in the tow truck to civilization, find a nice babe to haul you into paradise

Are there any insurance coverages that would cover such a towing from a middle of nowhere?... You can get 'road service' insurance for ~ $5 / month on your normal car insurance. It reimburses towing expense to nearest authorized service (read the fine print). Once you are there, you leave your junker car, Hitch hike home or post a 'ride wanted' ad on Craigslist (at nearest library)
Keep a few bucks to pay for someone's fuel, who may rescue you.

Carry some flares, they tend to raise awareness during fire season. IN the winter I additionally carry candles, a Space blanket (reflective) and a TALL orange Bicycle flag if I get into a snow drift.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-21-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Despite best efforts it is very difficult to be prepared for a mechanical breakdown other than a flat tire. I have been a member of off road Jeep clubs where there is ALWAYS a mechanical failure and everyone packs parts and tolls and we still can't always get them fixed. Its a very low % shot. Better to have some communication abilities than tools and parts.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Back in the 60s, people driving Citroens across the Sahara had a spare engine and tranny strapped to the roof, along with at least 4 spare tires on rims. Or sometimes just tow a second car to canibalize. Many still did not make it. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/...86c8292caf.jpg

Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,641 times
After reading everyone's suggestions, I noticed that prayer was missing. Pray first...it really can get you back on the road!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
After reading everyone's suggestions, I noticed that prayer was missing. Pray first...it really can get you back on the road!
And then there is the story told by Jerry Clower, about old Mr. Ledbedder, who sat on his roof and prayed through a flood. He rebuffed each successive rescue attempt, telling rescuers that God would save him. He was finally swept down the river to his demise. At the Pearly Gates, he was pretty miffed, demanding to know why his prayers went unanswered. God replied "I sent two boats and a helicopter!"

Moral of the story: If your car breaks down, apply whatever worldly help presents itself and don't ask for more obvious divine intervention.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-24-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
There are a couple of problems with that solution.

First, I hope you are not suggesting that we pray for the OP? My God doesn't need to have my opinion on who he should help and how.

Second, if it is the OP who should be praying, do you really think it is my place to tell him he should pray?

Finally, how is that you know that the responses in this thread are not the answer to his prayer? God is giving him the information here so that he does not die stranded on some dead end road in the middle of nowhere. I, for one, told him not to go if he had to ask. That advice should save him if he pays any attention to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive