U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,402,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not so sure that's a good way to look at it. Remember James Kim and family that got snowed in on logging roads in Oregon a couple of years ago? In the bitter cold and deep snow, on those confusing roads, you ain't walking 20 miles in a day. If he had stayed with his car, he would be alive today. There were no other cars going the way they went. Sometimes walking is the smart thing, but sometimes it isn't.
Bring a map, a handheld GPS, extra batteries, and a compass in case the GPS fails. James Kim walked about 16 miles, yet, he was found only 2 miles away from his car. He basically walked around in circles. Had he walked in a straight line, he probably would've found someone.

A GPS will work anywhere you can see the sky, and will let you pinpoint exactly where you are. A good paper map will tell you in which direction to go. From there, either the GPS or a compass will help you go in a straight line to your destination. It is very easy to make turns inadvertently while walking in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sorry;;
Actually the reference to water was intended as something to keep oneself hydrated in extreme heat and not really necessary in winter as you can just eat snow for hydration in winter..
Yellow snow is tastier.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 PM

7,301 posts, read 9,126,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Bring a map, a handheld GPS, extra batteries, and a compass in case the GPS fails. James Kim walked about 16 miles, yet, he was found only 2 miles away from his car. He basically walked around in circles. Had he walked in a straight line, he probably would've found someone.
I think you better take a look at a map of the BLM roads where he broke down. There are no straight lines. His problem wasn't about going straight. His problem: he left the road thinking he could get to a nearby town faster. He was wrong. Stay on the road! However, I have doubts he would have made it even staying on the road. Those roads are confusing and twist and turn for miles and miles.

Here's one map of the route he took: James Kim's Path You can click on the bottom to see more detailed maps.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:03 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,923,069 times
I keep things in my car.
Tools, water, food, sleeping bag in the winter etc.

I keep atlases in the car, and maps for the trip.

Biggest thing is keeping the car in shape.

I've had one car break down on me. I knew it was on it's last legs, but the deal (Trip) made it worth it.

I paid a guy $20 to take me to a rental agency, rented a car, and called my mechanic who was getting my next car ready and told him to hurry up.

Took the radio out the car and sold it to the scrap yard for $1 (If they come get it)

They did.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,163,588 times
Have you considered renting a car for your trip? Saving the wear and tear on your car might be worth it, as well as giving you peace of mind.
If you do not already have road coverage on a credit card, get AAA coverage. The Deluxe coverage will pay for a tow of 100 miles, if necessary, to a reliable repair place. Also make sure you have ample credit to take care of emergencies. Make sure your cell phone is always charged, and perhaps plan your route through more populated areas, even though it might not be the quickest route.
Keep blankets and other emergency items in your car..flashlight, umbrella, etc. Don't hitch hike EVER.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM

513 posts, read 350,133 times
I'm going to need a car for a month over there, I wouldn't rent a car for that long.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,177,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Keep your car in good condition and don't make any unnecessary trips to the boondocks especially in winter.
Other than towing a spare car behind you, you can't possibly be prepared for every emergency.
Actually you have a good idea here - you could drive a pickup truck and carry a small-ish (such that you can load/unload alone) motorcycle in the bed. If you are going into a truly boondock area, a satellite phone is expensive and expensive air time, but work anywhere. Depending on your car, if you do a really thorough tuneup before setting out, new filters, new plugs, all that, and have good tires with say better than half tread and a good spare, plus a few simple tools - maybe a self-jump box - odds are way in your favor having at least a few thousand miles with no trouble. Throw in AAA with 100 miles of towing, and there are not that many realistic scenarios where you break down in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM

9,284 posts, read 11,140,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Thanks everybody. Let me explain what kind of help I am looking for. I'd like to have a trip to North Dakota this summer, it is about 800 miles from Chicago. My car already has a lot of miles but can't afford new one as of now. I know I'm going to need food, water and stuff but I'm a little worried what I should do if the car breaks down let's say in some small North Dakota town, far from any bigger city and won't be drivable at all. I know I can just abandon the car and hitchhike but it is illegal to leave a car like that and I'd loose the car maybe because of some small mechanical issue.
If you are THAT worried about your car, why not rent a car? There are a lot of great deals for rental cars. Personally, when I am heading west out of Chicago, I park my car at the free lots at the Greater Rockford Airport and rent from Alamo or Hertz. If their car breaks down, they replace it and I am back on the road.

When I drove a beater, I was using rental cars for all out-of-town trips. Now that I drive a nearly new car, I rent a car for LONG trips so that I don't "mile up" my newer car. I mean, if you can rent a car for $15 per weekend day, why drive your own?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,923,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually you have a good idea here - you could drive a pickup truck and carry a small-ish (such that you can load/unload alone) motorcycle in the bed. If you are going into a truly boondock area, a satellite phone is expensive and expensive air time, but work anywhere. Depending on your car, if you do a really thorough tuneup before setting out, new filters, new plugs, all that, and have good tires with say better than half tread and a good spare, plus a few simple tools - maybe a self-jump box - odds are way in your favor having at least a few thousand miles with no trouble. Throw in AAA with 100 miles of towing, and there are not that many realistic scenarios where you break down in the middle of nowhere.

I intend on getting a hitch mount for my XR650L... It'll do the same, I'll be able to take it off and ride while on trips...

And there is that...

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,402,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When I drove a beater, I was using rental cars for all out-of-town trips. Now that I drive a nearly new car, I rent a car for LONG trips so that I don't "mile up" my newer car. I mean, if you can rent a car for $15 per weekend day, why drive your own?
More like $50/day when you add the racket that they call collision damage waiver. Even if your insurance covers rental cars, they only pay for the repairs. The dirty little secret is that if you crash your $25,000 rental car, that car, after repairs, will be worth less, and the rental company will charge you for depreciation. On top of that, if the car was in the shop for a month, they will charge you the daily rate for all that time and bill it as 'loss of use', even if they have another 100 cars sitting in the lot.

You could be looking at a $5,000 bill or more. That's, of course, unless you buy their pricey CDW coverage.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM

339 posts, read 529,367 times
Ok, some of the replies in this thread are a bit ridiculous...

I have traveled throughout the U.S. extensively for over 2 years now. Believe it or not, 99% of the time an at least decently maintained and gased up car won't fail in the middle of nowhere. There's less stress on the highway.

Best bet is AAA. Get plus or premier with 100+ mile towing. And generally that takes care of the stranded part.

However, there was 1 time couple months ago my car broke down while I was staying at a friend's place. However, the nearest place to home was 1,500 miles away in Dallas. I had triple A tow my car to a local shop, where it sat for 5 days because I didn't have the money to fix it, and didn't think my new timing belt would go out in 45,000 miles (recommended is 60,000) .

When I finally did get the car back, I was 180 miles from the repair shop when it broke down AGAIN. My AAA towed me back to the shop for free with my premier membership to have it repaired-again.

That's the only time something like that happened...but once you began traveling a lot it doesn't worry you as much. Generally, cars show signs of breaking down... don't go far when it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I mean, if you can rent a car for $15 per weekend day, why drive your own?
Because when you're under 25, it's $25 per day without insurance. And, companies nowadays want credit checks and since I don't have a credit card...companies wont even rent to me unless I have a round-trip airfare. Every time I added the costs, driving my own always comes out better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive