Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,660,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hopefully you've prepared for this scenario by keeping in your car
a blanket or two,
some candles and a way to light them,
a few chocolate bars,
a small tool kit including shovel,and some form of traction bars/chains,
and also are dressed for the possible eventuality of being stranded in the middle of no where in the winter in temperatures that could be life threatening for the unprepared ,,
i also try to keep my gas tank as full as possible and top it up when it gets to half full as you never know when you may have to spend the night in the car and if the problem isnt with the engine you have heat till you run out of gas..
In summer pack
a gallon of water and a bag of nuts and grains and an umbrella for sun protection as standing or walking in 95 degree heat can be as life threatening for some as being caught out in the cold..
A membership in AAA and a fully charged cell phone are also recommended..
Also keeping your car well maintained goes a long way to preventing unexpected break downs.
Great Tips !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

1,804 posts, read 2,355,982 times
walk

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
More like $50/day when you add the racket that they call collision damage waiver. Even if your insurance covers rental cars, they only pay for the repairs. The dirty little secret is that if you crash your $25,000 rental car, that car, after repairs, will be worth less, and the rental company will charge you for depreciation.
If you carry collision and comprehensive on your personal vehicle, it covers any rental cars that you drive up to the limits of the policy. And they also cover the costs of replacing the damaged vehicles.

The only time that you purchase CDW is when you lack insurance.

Now if you buy some substandard policy from SafeAuto, all bets are off.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,086,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
. And, companies nowadays want credit checks and since I don't have a credit card...companies wont even rent to me unless I have a round-trip airfare. Every time I added the costs, driving my own always comes out better.
Enterprise, With one extra form of ID...

I've never owned a credit card. Never had a problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,163,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you carry collision and comprehensive on your personal vehicle, it covers any rental cars that you drive up to the limits of the policy. And they also cover the costs of replacing the damaged vehicles.

The only time that you purchase CDW is when you lack insurance.

Now if you buy some substandard policy from SafeAuto, all bets are off.
FAIL!!! Your auto insurance and/or credit card company might pay for the repairs. But they won't pay for depreciation and, most likely, won't pay for 'loss of use'.

Here's an interesting story.
Read before you rent a car - The Denver Post
Quote:
Although "as a general rule, your auto policy will extend to your rental car," according to Colorado-based State Farm Insurance claim team manager Mike Hyland, if you don't have collision or comprehensive coverage, your rental car won't have it either. Also, most auto policies won't cover cars rented outside the United States.
Many car insurance policies also don't cover loss of use, diminution of value or administrative fees, so you can be liable for these bills even if someone else hits your rental car and their insurance pays for the damages.
"It's against the philosophy of insurance to pay (these types of) fees because then you'd get better coverage on a rental car than you'd have for your own car," Hyland said. He also points out that adding rental car fee coverage to insurance policies would raise overall premiums, and "the majority of people don't want to pay for that."

Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,334,213 times
That's why I have AAA. I also have a service through my car manufacturer. If I do break down in a remote area, I will be rescued even if it takes a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive