Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 19,257 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law's driveway is a pretty rough incline, probably about a 23° decline from the road. She consistantly will leave her car parked at this incline with the engine idling for 10 or 20 minutes to warm it up.

Now, I'm 90% sure this causes engine damage as the slant prevents oil from reaching certain parts of the engine depending on which way the vehicle is parked, but I'm looking for actual proof (either a study, engine test or even factory note about it) to show to her and save her some future repairs. I'm also pretty sure it can cause transmission issues due to low rpm/high torque, but that's a different issue.

If you could help me out in resolving this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. Comments, proof, links, anything to show its more than just a 'myth.' My current attempts at googling it haven't been very successful. =/

Thanks,
- Martinez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
As long as the oil pickup tube is submerged (which it will be) the oil will reach its destinations fine... oil is not dripped onto parts it is forcefully pushed through small clearances. Transmission will be fine too, automakers had all this in mind when they designed the engines. However if you were on a VERY steep incline then you would have to worry about your crankshaft being submerged in the actual reservoir of oil, that is not good, but also not going to happen at 20 degrees.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,347 times
The only possible problem is if the oil level was several quarts low. If the level is ok then as said above, there isn't a problem.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
It doesn't do any engine damage to idle on an incline, but it is uneccessary and a terrible waste of energy(fuel) to let it idle to warm the engine up.
She would be much smarted to warm it for 30 seconds and then drive it slow for the first few blocks. That is the recommended proceedure for engine warm up. She is wasting 20 minutes worth of fuel and not gaining anything.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,243,152 times
10 or 20 minutes?? Good grief! What laziness!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
On a slope or not, prolonged idling on anything other than a diesel is bad to begin with. A few short minutes is all thats needed in freezing weather. 10-20 minutes? Overkill.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 AM

886 posts, read 5,692,876 times
Steve-o just to give you a heads up ypu cant even idle new diesels for very long. The DPF (diesel particulate filter ) will plug up. But other than that you are right it takes more fuel to start a diesel than it does to let it idle.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Steve-o just to give you a heads up ypu cant even idle new diesels for very long. The DPF (diesel particulate filter ) will plug up. But other than that you are right it takes more fuel to start a diesel than it does to let it idle.
Depends on the application I guess. The brand new diesel engines (especially those running the GDT or Green Diesel Technology) might not be designed to handle excessive idling, but the older diesels have no problem whatsoever. In fact, I had a friend who lived in MN and had glow plug problems, so he'd just let his diesel idle outside all night long in winter and sometimes while at work until he could replace the plugs. He never had a problem. Just dont tell the environmentalists.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
On a slope or not, prolonged idling on anything other than a diesel is bad to begin with. A few short minutes is all thats needed in freezing weather. 10-20 minutes? Overkill.
Actually to let the engine warm from cold to operating temp is the most ideal, but time consuming. Engine clearances are all designed around operating temperature, you don't want full load on a cold engine. I wish I gave myself the time in the morning to let my engines warm up for at LEAST 10 minutes before driving.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 AM

886 posts, read 5,692,876 times
Hey Steve-o I grew up in MN and my uncle would do that. I wonder could it be the same person? To all those who say 30 seconds is all you need. I dare you to go out at -20 start your car and after 30 seconds take off. That may work in the warm southern states but not in the great white north. I give my car a min of 5 min to warm up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive