U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times

Advertisements

Saw last night's episode. They copied a segment from the BBC's Top Gear. They were told to pick a GM vehicle they'd like to see GM bring back. Tanner Foust (stunt driver for the Fast and the Furious) picked the Fiero, a good design killed by bean counters. The comedian picked the classic Olds Cutlass Supreme. The other guy picked the Buick Roadmaster stationwagon. They were then given various challenges. They timed each vehicle to 60 MPH. The Fiero was first, the Buick was second, and the Olds was last due to tire spin. They did other test they saw on the BBC Top Gear including the incline parking brake test (Buick won), rumble test with eggs above the driver's head (the Buick didn't break any eggs), and filling the car with water and driving until the water gets below the steeringwheel (once again the Buick won). That Buick Road Master was a highway cruiser that could haul full sheets of plywood or tow 5,000 lbs. They showed an artist conceptional drawing of what a modern Buick Roadmaster could look like today. Looked pretty good since it didn't have any of the ugly stuff of that previous model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Watched every episode so far. I have saved most of the UK Top Gear seasons. The US Top Gear (produced by the BBC's Top Gear team) is already better than the first few seasons of the original UK Top Gear, and definitely better than the Australian version (which has already been on for 3 seasons).

It still needs work, as they don't have the budget for real music like the UK version does, and they don't have as much time per episode to flesh things out (46 minutes, vs the UK's full hour), but the chemistry between the hosts is starting to gel, and I'm glad that they get to dislike the cars and say it (like Adam's dislike of the Mercedes SLS, even though Mercedes is a sponsor). Someone I know talked to Tanner at a Formula D event and Tanner said they were told that they didn't have to hold back any comments on the cars. A great change of pace from the typical American car show that tends to simply be a video brochure for the manufacturers.

I'd say this is already the best car show on US television, and stands a good chance of being a great long term companion for the UK Top Gear. And hopefully, the producers can start to do more original stuff, rather than just adapting the best of TG:UK's segments.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
I can't get into it. Seems so forced. There are some glimpses of promise but overall a big blah. I do watch being an auto enthusiast and hope it gets better.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,134,753 times
It's getting better. besides I'm getting a little tired of guys chopping trees, dragging trees, searching for aliens, Rummaging through other peoples junk, repossessing their cars, pimping their rides, searching for Bigfoot, looking for Atlantis, searching for Amelia Earhart.(sp)

Three young guys goofing with cars is mildly entertaining and until Daytona that's all we got.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I can't get into it. Seems so forced. There are some glimpses of promise but overall a big blah. I do watch being an auto enthusiast and hope it gets better.

You know, if we go back and look at the pilot/first episodes of most of our favorite TV, it's garbage compared to later in teh season/later seasons. From Simpsons to Star Treck, to pretty much every SitCom on, the difference as the cast and crew get to know each other better and work better together is huge. Compared to, say Motorweek, that has been on years, TG:USA is already miles better. And as the guys get better in the studio, (and maybe when Adam can write his own stuff instead of being forced to be someone else's version of funny) it's gonna stand head and shoulders above any other car show on TV outside the original Top Gear.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 PM

18,088 posts, read 16,618,330 times
I watched the latest hoping it would get better, so far it hasn't. Still boring me.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,576,250 times
The new top gear doesn't do anything for me, but then again, while I get why the BBC version is popular, I don't really care for it.

The new hosts seem so cookie cutter, you have hot shot stunt driver,goofy tall funny guy, and the "im from new york" guy. Maybe it'll get better down the road, but I won't be there to see it.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
It's OK. I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at it the same as the UK version, but it's watchable.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,006,224 times
I've watched them all so far at first I was pretty disappointed but it has gotten much better. I wish the hosts were a little looser with their humor and interaction, as of right now they kinda just stick to the script. All in all I like it. Additionally I was extremely pleased to see the latest episode which put the B-Body on the pedestal... It deserved it and the little speech about it at the end was good. It truly is a great machine... I also agree that the idea of reincarnating it would be a good idea, not talking in its original form but I would like to see that kind of functionality and durability brought back in CAR form. The modern equivalent of a B-Body wagon would be no less than a 1/2 ton pickup for functionality and a luxury car for comfort. It definitely would fill a gap that no other vehicle currently does.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM

910 posts, read 1,386,489 times
I like it overall. It felt less scripted than before, and the humor seemed less forced. It was also funny seeing the cars drive loaded down with water...the Buick was saggin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive