Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

The Mobil station that did my tune up and exhaust pipe in November suddenly went out of business. It's boarded up and the Mobil sign taken down. The place was like a neighborhood institution for years for people who used the park across the street to come in for juice and snacks, the ATM etc

I remember asking the cashier if the parts were warrantied and he told me to just bring in the car and they would take care of it at no extra cost

Now i'm not sure what to do. It certainly runs well.

I had no reason to suspect this station would shut down. It was there forever and changed hands a couple of times

tho this station was not my first choice for repairs, i had to take my car there because it would barely run (it was only one block from me, Joe Torre was 4 miles away by my office)

in the event something went wrong what would i do, call my atty general's office and try to see if i could locate another Mobil station? or am i stuck(this station always a did a good job in my experience)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
I guess people were all done paying an extra 20¢ for negligibly different gasoline, assuming your Mobils trend the same as mine. We used to have Gulf stations that were 30-40¢ more than the stations down or across the street yet people STILL went there, surprisingly they went out of business!

On the rare occasion I fill up at a station I go for a domestic refiner if one is available.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
The gas station most likely was independently owned and operated, so calling Mobil or your state's AG probably won't yield any answers.

If you still have their old number, have you tried calling it to see if it's forwarded to another shop now?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
If the car runs fine, what is your problem...? Drive it, and the next time it needs work, find a new place to take it. You aren't out anything....
There is an old saying, don't cry before you're hurt...!!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Are you losing sleep over this? LOL.

Drive your car and move on with your life.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
You are still under warrantied, just find a different Mobile station

busta

Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
You are still under warrantied, just find a different Mobile station

busta
No he is not warrantied! Mobile is just the petrol distributor. They do not own or back the repair side of the business. Mobile does no own repair shops.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Wow. Is there a more self centered, trivial and narcissistic thread to be found on CD?

What, you had a tune up and an exhaust pipe repaired and you are planning on the Attorney General if something isn't perfect? And the garage closed and everyone lost their jobs?

No wonder, with customers like you any place would have a hard time.

I'm surprised that you don't have an insurance policy on the exhaust pipe repair. And, next time ask the mechanic that does the work to personally guaranty your warranty. Make him sign it on the back: "Guaranteed - Floyd Smith." That way, if the pipe comes loose and you have to go somewhere and pay someone $10 to tighten it up you can take Floyd to small claims court.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
^^ feel better now?

Speaking of closed gas stations

Man arrested at scene of explosion pleads not guilty - WAVE 3 News - Louisville, Kentucky

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The man arrested December 23rd at the scene of a big explosion at a gas station on Dixie Highway appeared in court Friday where he entered a not guilty plea.
Steven Askew was charged with wanton endangerment and criminal mischief after witnesses said he used a chain saw to cut into a gas pipe at an old gas station at the corner of Standard Avenue and Dixie Highway Thursday afternoon. The chain saw created sparks which ignited gas fumes, causing the explosion. Police say Askew was attempting to steal the metal pipe.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Ask friends and co-workers where they take their cars for repairs and maintenance ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive