Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have to look for the name badge to tell the difference they look so much a like. Probably demanded by the federal bailout money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
Today, for the first time, I saw the new Kia Sportage on the road. It looks identical to the Audi Q7, and they even "copied" the led headlights. I know Hyundai copies Honda and Toyota a lot, and I never had any respect for that brand (but i got to admit they make some nice cars lately, cheaper versions of the Camry, the Accord etc) and now it seems like Kia is starting to do the same. Would you ever consider buying a Kia version of the Audi and what is your perspective on the cheap brands copying high end models from luxury brands? Is it even legal for them to do so?
I have zero sympathy for the japanese. They - particularly Lexus and Inifiniti - have been ripping off Eurpoean makes for years. The current Lexus LS is a copy of the BMW 7 Series, the previous generation was a copy of the Mercedes S Class. Previous Inifinitis were copies of Jaguar designs.

Turnabout is fair play...

Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM

165 posts, read 977,140 times
I didn't know that Kia's lead designer worked for Audi but I don't think that's an "excuse" for Kia to copy Audi. I understand they target different markets but since Kia designs a car that is so similar to that of the Audi's then they may not intent (because they can't) but pretend to be of the same quality, and a better buy since their cars are priced lower. That's what Hyundai does in the advertisements and compares their cars with the Camry and the Accord and saying it's a better value for the money etc. The same way knock off brand's work and replicas. I think Hyundai and Kia should stop copying other makes and create a unique design and personality for their cars just like Cadillac and Saturn has done.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM

165 posts, read 977,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I have zero sympathy for the japanese. They - particularly Lexus and Inifiniti - have been ripping off Eurpoean makes for years. The current Lexus LS is a copy of the BMW 7 Series, the previous generation was a copy of the Mercedes S Class. Previous Inifinitis were copies of Jaguar designs.

Turnabout is fair play...
I don't really think Lexus and Infiniti copy other makes. They are both luxury brands and compete with other luxury brands but they don't steal their design. You could be right but i never saw an Infinity and thought it looks like a Jaguar, if anything Infinities copy the european Lancia (the Q models look like Lancia delta)

Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
All car companies copy one another from time to time. (at least the successful ones do) The American exception would be Chrysler and they are always last in the sales race.
Ford even copied it's own design when it remade the 68 Mustangs a couple of years ago only with a more modern look. Same with Camaro and Challenger.
Was the Ford Taurus not a copy of the Japanese cars years back?
It took a few years for the Japanese influence in car design to take hold but now almost all the American brands have that look.
Even the boxy look of Mercedes Benz of the 80's is gone and now they have the more rounded look with the Japanese influence.
While the BMW may have a great look today they used to be ugly boxes before the Japanese influence.

If you really want a car that has it's own look just go to a Chrysler dealer they never copy anybody else.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
All car companies copy one another from time to time. (at least the successful ones do) The American exception would be Chrysler and they are always last in the sales race.
Ford even copied it's own design when it remade the 68 Mustangs a couple of years ago only with a more modern look. Same with Camaro and Challenger.
Was the Ford Taurus not a copy of the Japanese cars years back?
It took a few years for the Japanese influence in car design to take hold but now almost all the American brands have that look.
Even the boxy look of Mercedes Benz of the 80's is gone and now they have the more rounded look with the Japanese influence.
While the BMW may have a great look today they used to be ugly boxes before the Japanese influence.

If you really want a car that has it's own look just go to a Chrysler dealer they never copy anybody else.
I have to say chrysler styling is hit and miss cars like the challeger and Ram 1500 are awsome but cars like the caliber and jeep compass are terrible looking.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Isn't copying the greatest form of flattery?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I may be in error, but I believe chrystler once cloned jags.

I wish someone would clone Austin Heally 3000 or Morgan. Updated suspension and a real engine.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
chrysler was not bailed out it was bought by french owned and operated car manufacturer FIAT.
Halfway there. FIAT is Italian

Quote:
Also GM has paid back the loan and the company has gone public again and is traded on wallstreet they also have recoreded their first profit in 6 years.
Yep, guess that Federal mandates that they quit running their businesses like a bunch of idiots actually worked.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
chrysler was not bailed out it was bought by french owned and operated car manufacturer FIAT.

Also GM has paid back the loan and the company has gone public again and is traded on wallstreet they also have recoreded their first profit in 6 years.
Chrysler did get a federal bailout in 1979, applied for a different one in 2010. They did file for bankruptcy and Italian based Fiat bought into Chrysler. This merger has made Volkswagen the largest auto manufacture as they own Fiat.

Mercedes very quietly dumped their interest in Chrysler years before.

GM got their bailout in 2010, got a different government loan to partially pay off the bailout, probably for a better interest rate.

From the side profile the GM and Chrysler do look alike, as the rear ends do as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive