Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
mym mym started this thread

706 posts, read 1,170,822 times

Advertisements

ever since i was a kid and i watched the 'blue brothers' i have always wanted a cop car.

so found a black and white ford crown vic, 05

not quite the same thing, i know. much less character.

has the flood light on the side.

having it is kinda annoying though. you kinda create rolling roadblocks as people think you are a real cop. you mess up the flow at 4 way stop signs.

you'll be on the highway cruising along and people will tear up in the left hand lane, then slow down and drive next to you for miles cuz they dont want to pass.

so im thinking of painting the damn thing purple. or getting a vanity license plate 'NOT COP' or 'UCANSPD'

iwas looking online for a blues brothers inspired bumper sticker. 'im on a mission from god' but i live in texas now so people would proabbly think i was actually on a mission from god and not get the movie reference.

i noticed its no faster than any other car. i dont know about this whole 'super cop' engine thing. it does ride nice tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
if the car still has the push bar on it, remove that, and also remove the spotlight. that will clean up the car and make it look less like a cop car. after that paint it a solid color, i like white personally, but what ever your choice is go for it.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Used to have a cop car in highschool, it was fun at first but annoying for the most part. Had a spotlight which was nice and handy but it scared everyone. Everywhere I would go people would be driving under the speed limit if I was in back of them. Aside from dealing with the reactions from other motorists both P71's and 9C1's are bulletproof machines and are guaranteed to serve you well... depending on how bad it was abused in service.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Used to have a cop car in highschool, it was fun at first but annoying for the most part. Had a spotlight which was nice and handy but it scared everyone. Everywhere I would go people would be driving under the speed limit if I was in back of them. Aside from dealing with the reactions from other motorists both P71's and 9C1's are bulletproof machines and are guaranteed to serve you well... depending on how bad it was abused in service.
I have not seen a 9C1 since 99-00 as they were just roataint those out of the fleet for the ford O71 which is the standsrd cop car today.

funny to watch older 90's movies where all the cabs and cops cars are the 9C1 chevy caprice it really dates the movie.

I always thuoght the chevy caprice had the better LT1 V-8 motor while the modren crown vic just runs a pretty much stock version of the regular 4.6 found in the base crown victoria.

I belive the mid 90's 9C1 was making 260HP and some pursuit models made 300HP
and the "new" modren crovwn vics only make in 240-250 range

Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Well, I'm in Texas too and I'd get the whole Blues Brothers link As a matter of fact on the History channel last night they were doing a bio on John Belushi and then a behind the scenes of Animal House

If you paint it solid white it is still going to look like a cop car here as that is what many have. I see lots of wanna be gangsta types w/ old cop cars. They usually give them a slight lift and then put the big rims on them and tires. Cracks me up.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
I bought a cherry 61 Ford Galaxie 390 300 HP 3 speed on the tree back in 1963. A guy in my neighborhood bought a used 61 Ford Cop car Galaxie with the 330 HP 390, He got it for 1/4 the price of my car. He blew my doors off every time we raced.I hated that friggin guy.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i noticed its no faster than any other car. i dont know about this whole 'super cop' engine thing. it does ride nice tho.
Shhhhhh! Cops don't want anyone to know that's a myth...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
I used to own a 2000 Crown Victoria P71 as well. It was a Navy Blue color and came from a suburb called Norton Shores, the suburb was outside of Muskegon, Michigan. Anyways I too wanted an ex cop car so I bought it. This was in 2009, at first I was thrilled. The car had the rubber floors, push bar, and spot light. None of my friends knew I purchased it nor did they know I was even looking at Crown Vic's. So the first few nights I had it I would drive around town and look for my friends. I would then follow them they would get squirmy about it.lol Then I would call them and say I heard there name on the scanner and say is there a cop following you. They would just about sh*t there pants. I finally told them it was me. I loved using the spotlight for shining deer and going out to a local hangout where people do illegal things I would pull in and turn on the spotlight. That would make them scatter. The car started having problems here and there and I decided it was time to sell.

In my opinion I wouldn't paint the car purple. Have it painted all black, tint the windows (legally) and put wheel covers on it. It may look like a cop car a little but not as much as it used to. Just don't ruin the car with that ghetto crap.

Also there isn't any performace differance. If I remember right it had a transmission cooler that was heavy duty. Different gears, 3.55s?. Basically had beefed up engine hardware, alternator et cetera. I would always laugh when people asked if my car had the police chip. There is no such thing as a police chip.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Just put real wheel covers on it, instead of the cop hub caps, and your off and running. I talked to a guy in a motel parking lot last year driving a police car, says it was the best used car he ever bought. Said the back upholstery smelled a bit like puke when he first got it, but that went away.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
If I had one in a solid colour I would just grab a set of 17" american racing Torq-Thrust II's and some decent A/S performance tires and maybe slap on a aftermarket Cat-Back exhaust.
somthing like this is where I would with go for looks:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive