U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,283,478 times

Advertisements

BudinAK, about 10 years ago, my dad did what you are doing, except he had a 5th wheel trailer. He went with a 3/4 ton Ford with a big gasser. In less than a year he swapped it out for a 3/4 ton Ford with the diesel. He gets better mileage (not sure about cost given the price differential between gas and diesel), says pulling has never been a problem. He has had to plan some trips a little more carefully as he likes really remote spots and has had a time or two in those years they toured the country, Alaska and northern Canada where diesel was an issue.

But he hasn't regretted for a moment getting the larger truck with the diesel. As he has put it, it gives him more options.

He still has that pickup, still running great.

Funny, he did this just like you--recently retired--"Going to travel the country, see some things and pick out where we want to retire to." Ended up settling down about 60 miles away from where they started from.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,501,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
But anyone showing up with an SUV as a tow rig, even a $100k one would be regarded as an idiot.
My setup for the last couple years:

Range Rover and 20 ft trailer. Before I got that Range Rover, I used this one to tow with:

But, since I'd like to get a 27 footer, I recently picked this one up:

'94 Chevy 3500 series dually with the 6.5 liter turbodiesel. Got it for $2800 needing a starter. $85 later it runs and drives great.

Last edited by Merc63; 01-07-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The dodge with the cummins is the most popular tow rig stay away from all fords. a chev will be fine also.

I disagree. The '99-02 Ford 7.3 turbo is one of the strongest engines avaialble and the trucks they are in are very durable and capable. For RV towing, they've been the most popular, and longest lasting. I wanted one instead of the Chevy I got, but they are holding their value too well and stayed out of my price range.

My neigbor has a fleet of '99-03 F250/F350/F450 trucks, the youngest has 280k on it, but most have 400-500k on them with almost no down time.

When I was researching my own purchase, most of the general purpose truck forums were telling me the Fords of that era were the ones to get. And I wasn't asking on Ford specific forums.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM

12,871 posts, read 13,291,581 times
Some of the posts here are borderline comical. This is a 20 foot trailer. This weighs less than a 20 foot tournament ski boat. A half-ton class vehicle, whether truck or SUV, properly equipped for towing, would do just fine. A 3/4 ton should do better, but isn't necessary in most cases. A 1 ton? Why?

It is also funny to read "only get a Cummins" or similar. I think Ford F250/F350 are the most popular in Texas, and have been for decades. But there are lots of Dodge and GM diesels too. Fanboys can argue about which is best, but I don't think there is any clear advantage of one over another.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

8,682 posts, read 12,474,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Oh, I wouldn't agree with that. We ventured into the RV world for the first time last year and found that the majority of the people we met have enormous money. It is not at all uncommon to see a trailers pulled by $200k tractors. But anyone showing up with an SUV as a tow rig, even a $100k one would be regarded as an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My setup for the last couple years:

Present company excepted, of course.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
My suggestions on getting a 3/4 rather than 1/2 ton truck are based on "extended trips in Alaska" - I'm assuming that a breakdown would be a serious PITA and could fester into something worse.

It's true of course that any truck/SUV/car even that has the towing capacity can be used for this trailer.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM

3,870 posts, read 5,460,967 times
I see we have a few ford fans, nothing personal.
but.

I bet he buys new or one truck that is only a few years old.

You see ford has a couple of big issues.
1. For even minor engine repair or maintenance the whole cab has to be removed first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsGsunQwM8

2. There "new" engine is to "new" to know how it will hold up or to find a shop in the middle of no where that can help you with it.

Lastly the cummins can be worked on at any diesel shop and it has a proven track record.

Even a Chev is a better choice than the ford is.

And I'll stand behind my statement.
Get more truck than you need, not one that may get you by.

Go test drive all three then decide.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 PM

2,988 posts, read 4,859,468 times
I don't own a TT but I have friends and co-workers that do. Most start off with a 20-25' TT with a 1/2 truck pulling it. After a couple years of using it and seeing other people's rigs, they get the itch to upgrade to a 5th wheel. They pull better and offer larger living areas and storage. This of course requires a 3/4 truck.

Personally, I'd get a used 3/4 diesel and see how it goes for a few years. Diesels keeps their value like already stated, so it will always be worth something.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,685,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some of the posts here are borderline comical. This is a 20 foot trailer. This weighs less than a 20 foot tournament ski boat. A half-ton class vehicle, whether truck or SUV, properly equipped for towing, would do just fine. A 3/4 ton should do better, but isn't necessary in most cases. A 1 ton? Why?

It is also funny to read "only get a Cummins" or similar. I think Ford F250/F350 are the most popular in Texas, and have been for decades. But there are lots of Dodge and GM diesels too. Fanboys can argue about which is best, but I don't think there is any clear advantage of one over another.
Yep Borderline comical but you have to understand like most here RVing 4 years ago I had a 14ft Tent trailer , Wow I was going camping with a F350 diesel dually. Now I am still camping but the unit I pull Is a 40 ft Big Sky Montana with 3 slides! same truck but a lot more fun and space .

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some of the posts here are borderline comical. This is a 20 foot trailer. This weighs less than a 20 foot tournament ski boat. A half-ton class vehicle, whether truck or SUV, properly equipped for towing, would do just fine. A 3/4 ton should do better, but isn't necessary in most cases. A 1 ton? Why? .
Simply put, a larger tow rig will still get similar mileage unloaded, but allows you the option of getting a larger trailer in the future, or a larger boat, etc, without having to upgrade the truck, too.

I mean, I got a 3500 series 4x4 dually, and right NOW I'm only towing the 20 ft trailer. But this allows me the option of towing a much larger trailer in teh future, or a heavier car trailer for project cars, maybe do some larger home improvement stuff, etc, and not be limited by the truck. Since the buy-in was as cheap as a similar condition half ton truck, why NOT get the bigger rig?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive