U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM

8,824 posts, read 11,044,328 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19riHs3_ujg
this sounds way better than that chevelle but i think he will need a new set of tire after that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM

17,938 posts, read 14,074,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
bad example. Thats not even an SS
Going by how much rubber it left on the road, I would say it's a pretty good example!

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:58 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,572,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If that '69 Charger I mentioned had modern tires, its e.t. would have been low-to-mid 13s instead of 13.9.

But yes, those are great times for a truck.
well if it had modern fuel injection and a set of turbos it would be in the 10's.. Whats that have to do with it? Part of the 60's was bad tires, bad suspension, no comfort, no brakes.. If they have modern features, they would not be a car from the 60's, they would be a new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang. You can't pick a modern feature of today and say an old car would be faster with it. Of course it would be.. Thats the whole point of what we have today isn't it?

Unread 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
well if it had modern fuel injection and a set of turbos it would be in the 10's.. Whats that have to do with it?
The point is that you have to factor in advances (such as tires) when comparing '60s cars with modern cars.

Quote:
Part of the 60's was bad tires, bad suspension, no comfort, no brakes..
From the video you provided (about the Pontiac's brakes) "It stopped better as it heated up." Some of those '60s cars stopped from 60 mph in 110-125, the same distance as quite a few modern cars. "No comfort." What? "Bad suspension." Again, this comment about the Pontiac in the video you posted: "Nice handling car and it shouldn't be."

Quote:
If they have modern features, they would not be a car from the 60's, they would be a new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang. You can't pick a modern feature of today and say an old car would be faster with it. Of course it would be.. Thats the whole point of what we have today isn't it?
If they were not modern cars, they would not have '60s styling... a definite minus! Why can't I pick a modern feature like tires and say a '60s car is faster with it? It's true.

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:39 AM

2,994 posts, read 2,429,796 times
Quote:
well if it had modern fuel injection and a set of turbos it would be in the 10's.. Whats that have to do with it? Part of the 60's was bad tires, bad suspension, no comfort, no brakes.. If they have modern features, they would not be a car from the 60's, they would be a new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang. You can't pick a modern feature of today and say an old car would be faster with it. Of course it would be.. Thats the whole point of what we have today isn't it?

I'll argue with you on the bad ride and bad suspension. You must not have riden in the 60's Pontiacs. As for mpg, put todays trans with the extra gears in it behind a musclecar's engine and wow, it gets everybit as good of mpg as the new junk!!! As for brakes, I've owned enough of them and newer crap to know the 60's brakes when kept up with good parts, springs, and shoes were just as good as todays. Tires of today are in another world compared to what was avaible in the 60's. You want the real reason today's cars have fuel injection over carbs? It's cheaper!!! You actually make more hp with a carb.

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:40 AM

2,994 posts, read 2,429,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19riHs3_ujg
this sounds way better than that chevelle but i think he will need a new set of tire after that

Love it!

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I lived thru the 60's-70's musclecar ear and now this musclecar era. No comparison. Gas mileage, comfort, blinding speed, handling and they now can stop. Plus you can idle all day in the desert with the ac on and they engine will not care one bit.. Todays musclecars have it all over the ones from 30 years ago sorry to say. BUT I still love driving my old cars too.. I love em all but truly there is no comparison.. watch this.. Its a very good series.. This is part one.. watch all 5 parts.. Very enjoyable..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxyQ5-pEVR0
'60s and early '70s muscle cars had style and soul... something today's muscle cars are lacking. It just isn't the same... not the same "vibes."

Thanks for the link to that video.
Glad to see 0-60 mph times in addition to 1/4 mile. That 429 Mustang did quite well... a 5.031 sec 0-60 mph is very good especially considering the age of the car, the fact that there were no mods and that it was running original-type equipment tires.

The 455 Olds tested in the video had 3.42 gears and 3.91s were available. Even with the 3.42s, it ran 13.828 @ 100.59 mph in the 1/4 mile. Some basic mods like a cam, headers and some sharp tuning would put that car (and the other cars tested) into the low 13s. Maybe even 12s.

The tester was impressed with the Mustang's handling "fairly good handling" and it's a heavy big-block! A 302 or 351 small block would handle even better.

Interesting that the test Pontiac GTO actually stopped better when the brakes warmed up and that the tester said, "It's a nice handling car and it shouldn't be."

And the burnouts... the tester was starting out in 2nd gear with the cars equipped with a manual transmission! It would be interesting to see how a modern car would come off the line in 2nd gear.

I (and other people who commented on the video) can't understand why the tester criticized the Challenger with its front torsion bar suspension. Torsion bars were used on many well-handling cars.

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I'll argue with you on the bad ride and bad suspension. You must not have riden in the 60's Pontiacs. As for mpg, put todays trans with the extra gears in it behind a musclecar's engine and wow, it gets everybit as good of mpg as the new junk!!! As for brakes, I've owned enough of them and newer crap to know the 60's brakes when kept up with good parts, springs, and shoes were just as good as todays. Tires of today are in another world compared to what was avaible in the 60's. You want the real reason today's cars have fuel injection over carbs? It's cheaper!!! You actually make more hp with a carb.
And an engine with a carb sounds a lot better a full throttle than an engine with fuel injection (assuming the engine with a carb has an unsilenced air cleaner).

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:54 AM

605 posts, read 1,105,985 times
My favorites are old V-8 like this Roadrunner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bts3aefcLR4

Unread 01-23-2011, 04:35 AM

17,129 posts, read 11,998,744 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw10a...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive