Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Thats cool... but no way is anyone getting in the back of an a3 with some one 6'4" in the seat in front of them. I know I cant do it with some one les than 6' driving it.
Well, again, if my Jetta is smaller than the A3, then it would seem, by Your reasoning, that it'd be impossible for me to have an adult of any normal height behind me while driving. Funny because I've done numerous road trips with 4 people in the car... the shortest being my 5'4" wife (who sits in the passenger seat). I'm not saying that everyone has a ton of room, but there's as much room as you'd find in coach class on an airplane. Enough that several hours in the car is comfortable, but stops to get out are much welcomed.

It's all in perspective. I haven't been in an A3, but going by the numbers it sounds like I'd have more room than what I'm used to currently. I also know that it doesn't matter what someone elses opinion is, if it works for me then it works for me. Ditto, if it Doesn't work for you but I think it should, it still doesn't work for you. Each individual has to make their own assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
Quote:
Heres YOUR post where YOU brought in the 25.5 number for the a3 rear leg room. Btw your front leg room number is wrong too. 41.2 does not round to 42.
Either way.. its still the smallest of the small..
this is what I said in my post, these numbers are all from CR and the rear leg room is measured for all 3 vehicles from the front chair (when setup at 40" leg room):

Quote:
A3 (169" length) - 42" front leg room; 25.5" rear leg room; 19.5 cuft cargo volume
Mazda 3 (181" length) - 41" front leg room; 25" rear leg room; 12 cuft cargo volume
Prius (176" length) 41.5" front leg room; 28" rear leg room; 22 cuft cargo volume
So as you can see the A3 has a bit more more (0.5") room for rear leg than Mazda 3, while less then Prius (2.5").
For front, A3 has one extra inch when compared to Mazda 3 and 0.5 more than Prius.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Again. Mazda 3 rear leg room IS 42"
Prius rear leg room IS 36"
Compared to a3 rear leg room of 25.5"
WOW the A3 is even worse than I thought. Why do they even bother having 4 doors?

From http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=M3S
Quote:
Legroom, front/rear (in) 42.0/36.2

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
WOW the A3 is even worse than I thought. Why do they even bother having 4 doors?
this is a bad quote, those numbers make no sense, posters skewed the numbers to prove a point....

Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post

From 2013 Mazda3 Sedan Specifications & Features | Mazda USA
As I explained in previous post, one cannot go by manufacturer skewed numbers on this. Even if correct, they will be based on where the front seat is setup.

CR has a very logical way to measure the rear seat leg room:
- set up front chair at 40" leg room
- measure the rear seat leg room from the back of the front seat (which is setup at 40" leg room).

Pushing the front chair in front as far as it goes, sure it will give you a lot of rear leg room, but makes no sense.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,166 times
Quote:
this is what I said in my post, these numbers are all from CR and the rear leg room is measured for all 3 vehicles from the front chair (when setup at 40" leg room):

So as you can see the A3 has a bit more more (0.5") room for rear leg than Mazda 3, while less then Prius (2.5").
For front, A3 has one extra inch when compared to Mazda 3 and 0.5 more than Prius.
Uggg.. there you go using phantom numbers again.. if you want to compare using the excepted EPA standard is much more accurate. At least you could make your mind up. Once you say 25.5then you say 34.8, then back to 25.5.
Also Mazda 3 AND Prius are considered a mid size car by the EPA which is done by overall interior volume. The A3 is classified as a compact.. imagine that..

Again, using standard EPA guidelined numbers a3 is smallest inside. Ever sit in any of these? Ive driven and riden in all of them.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM

[http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....73;28863389]As I explained in previous post, one cannot go by manufacturer skewed numbers on this. Even if correct, they will be based on where the front seat is setup.

CR has a very logical way to measure the rear seat leg room:
- set up front chair at 40" leg room
- measure the rear seat leg room from the back of the front seat (which is setup at 40" leg room).

Pushing the front chair in front as far as it goes, sure it will give you a lot of rear leg room, but makes no sense.[/quote]

Theyre not "skewed" theres guidleline for these measurements established by the EPA that make it standardized.. apparently you have a problem with reality.
In the REAL world a COMPACT car is NOT bigger inside than a MID SIZE car.
Its pretty basic.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31587.shtml
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=31767
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31584.shtml

Last edited by LRPct; 03-27-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Uggg.. there you go using phantom numbers again.. if you want to compare using the excepted EPA standard is much more accurate. At least you could make your mind up. Once you say 25.5then you say 34.8, then back to 25.5.
Also Mazda 3 AND Prius are considered a mid size car by the EPA which is done by overall interior volume. The A3 is classified as a compact.. imagine that..

Again, using standard EPA guidelined numbers a3 is smallest inside. Ever sit in any of these? Ive driven and riden in all of them.
What I posted was to explain to you the diference between between deferent measurements (Consumer Reports vs Motor Trend).
Since I bought one and tested the other two, I do know that A3 is a vehicle superior to the other two in dynamic performance and better or about same in seating.

End of discussion for me.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What I posted was to explain to you the diference between between deferent measurements (Consumer Reports vs Motor Trend).
Since I bought one and tested the other two, I do know that A3 is a vehicle superior to the other two in dynamic performance and better or about same in seating.

End of discussion for me.
"About the same" but small enough comparetively to be in a smaller vehicle class than the other two. Lol..

No wonder you have an issue with comparing non biased, raw numbers provided by an outside sourse. Too busy "justifying" your choice for some reason.

No need to.. its a fine car.. but one that is smaller inside than those two, and too small inside for some. Great that its not for you. If they just made the a4 a couple inches bigger and with a diesel Id prob own another Audi myself.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times
Quote:
"About the same" but small enough comparetively to be in a smaller vehicle class than the other two. Lol..

No wonder you have an issue with comparing non biased, raw numbers provided by an outside sourse. Too busy "justifying" your choice for some reason.

No need to.. its a fine car.. but one that is smaller inside than those two, and too small inside for some. Great that its not for you. If they just made the a4 a couple inches bigger and with a diesel Id prob own another Audi myself.
The new A4 is a bit larger than the previous generation, but still pretty small when compared to an awful lot of other cars, including the Mazda 3, Jetta, Golf, and is only marginally larger (interior room) than the A3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi