U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 AM

415 posts, read 919,715 times
Default Rabbits and Soy Wiring in Cars

There is a problem with rabbits in my small housing community and the HOA refuses to take action. Last year, a rabbit chewed the transmission hose in my 2000 Lexus LS 400, leading to the transmission shredding apart upon driving. Now, a rabbit has chewed the wiring harness in my 2002 Toyota Avalon leading me to have to replace the knock sensors to get rid of the codes.

I have read that a lot of Toyota and Honda models use soy based wiring and hoses, which attracts rabbits and rodents. Which other manufacturers use soy based wiring and hoses? I can't afford to keep suffering $$ loss due to rabbits.
Spraying Liquid Fence deer and rabbit repellent underneath the car works for about a couple of days before the rabbits return. I'm thinking rabbits must like Toyota products LOL. The cars that my neighbors park outside that have been unaffected include:
Subaru Forester---which is parked right next to the Avalon--has never had a problem.
Acura MDX
Toyota 4Runner
Ford Focus
VW Bug
Buick Lucerne
Ford Taurus
Ford F-150

I live in a small townhouse complex and can pretty much see all my neighbors cars and the rabbits are everywhere but for some reason they pick on my car. I figure that if nothing works to eliminate rabbits and the HOA does nothing about the issue, then I could be in for hefty repair bills each month for the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 03:53 AM

860 posts, read 1,842,455 times
Does the complex offer a garage option by chance? May be best to get the car(s) inside so the little rascals can't get to them.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,938,639 times
Rabbits aren't the only ones. My son had a Ford Taurus that wouldn't start one day. When he opened the hood he seen the main wiring harness at the firewall all chewed up. It was a raccoon. How did he know that? The raccoon scampered down beside the engine and ran out from the bottom of the car after he opened the hood.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM

6,994 posts, read 14,097,409 times
When I bought my 1991 Caprice last year, mice had chewed several wires under the hood... I had to do some taping. Pesky little rascals.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,293,018 times
Why not a few rabbit boxes to catch them. Good eating too.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM

2,805 posts, read 2,436,909 times
In the last year my '04 Chrysler Sebring has been hit four
times, most recent last Sunday

It sits in a car port and I had noticed a wrascally wabbitt
darting out from underneath it so I went over and popped the
hood just to find his buddy still there

My Mechanic also had said something about the soy based
wires. I've tried everything from moth balls, to fox urine
so this weekend I made a 3' fence that I can slide out of
the way when I drive the car, I put up the same size fence
around my baby Kum Kwat tree and they so far have not been able to get
into that so I hope this works as I'm sure when the car is repaired Mon. or Tues I'll be over the 2k mark

I've also noticed lately that there seems to be more of them
around as I've not seen as many Coyotes, Hawks & Owls around

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 7,004,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I put up the same size fence
around my baby Kum Kwat tree
For some reason, that made me grin

Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Squarrels are alos bad about chewing wires as well as rats.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 AM

122 posts, read 86,324 times
Soy wiring, we should have a national recall.
So much for "clean & green"
Someone contact my attorney.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM

9,703 posts, read 12,010,717 times
Get some rabbit traps. If you lived in a more rural area, pellet guns do the trick.

My opinion is that they have their space and I have mine. Mice and other rodents are welcome to live out in the bushes, grass, wherever but once they invade my house or car, it's game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive