Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I do belive the Dodge Challenger will hold it's value the best in 15-20 years a bright orange SRT-8 6-speed will command a large price at auction IMO.
Especially the 392 Hemi model with the 470 hp engine. Any color will do. Great investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
I think the V8 versions of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger will be worth something in the future in 20 yrs. The V6 cars not so much, they'll play 2nd fiddle.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Of course they will be valuable, but not by the same ratio. Cars were a bigger part of the life for babyboomers and these kind of cars have had inflated msrp in comparison. Also there will be less rare or low production models.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
While not a muscle car per se....I suspect the ZR-1 will be hugely collectible due to the greatly reduced production numbers.

P.S. Of course they will almost all have low mileage since most vett owners don't actually DRIVE thier cars because then they might get dirty. lol.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I would venture to say they won't be worth much than whatever their inflation adjusted value is at full depreciation with the exception of the rare/special models.

The reason classic muscle cars have become so collectible is do to people who owned them when they were younger and gave them up buying back a piece of their youth or those who always wanted one, but never had one, wanting to capture that experience. Afterall, it isn't that the cars themselves are worth that much, it's the feelings and emotions associated with them.

I think the problem with the current crop is that they are being made to evoke the classics with a good chunk of the people buying them, being people who can't afford the "classic" they really want or choosing to buy one of the newer models as a regular driver. Since most of them are a stand-in for the original, they can never be the original.

A lot of people try to pick future classics and outside of the exotics and rare/special cars it comes down to what is popular today that people may want to recapture in 30 years? For a lot of people that means imports. If I had to bet money, I think there is a good chance that an Integra Type-R or something similar may be worth more than say a plain Jane Mustang GT.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I would venture to say they won't be worth much than whatever their inflation adjusted value is at full depreciation with the exception of the rare/special models.

The reason classic muscle cars have become so collectible is do to people who owned them when they were younger and gave them up buying back a piece of their youth or those who always wanted one, but never had one, wanting to capture that experience. Afterall, it isn't that the cars themselves are worth that much, it's the feelings and emotions associated with them.

I think the problem with the current crop is that they are being made to evoke the classics with a good chunk of the people buying them, being people who can't afford the "classic" they really want or choosing to buy one of the newer models as a regular driver. Since most of them are a stand-in for the original, they can never be the original.

A lot of people try to pick future classics and outside of the exotics and rare/special cars it comes down to what is popular today that people may want to recapture in 30 years? For a lot of people that means imports. If I had to bet money, I think there is a good chance that an Integra Type-R or something similar may be worth more than say a plain Jane Mustang GT.
Very true.

Don't see too many 16-20 year olds rolling a brand new Mustang or Camaro. Even one that's four or five years old is often out of their grasp... you don't see many people buying them until they're in their late 20's and beyond, these days. Cars are just plain more expensive than they were in the 60's and 70's.

The other thing to keep in mind when it comes to specialty cars is that the more common the car is, the less it's going to command.

For instance, compare a stock twin-turbo 1993 Supra:
1993 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo 6 Speed All Stock Clean Rare (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2178085281.html - broken link)

Or a clean '93 RX7 with a rebuild and some light mods:
1993 Black/ Black RX7 FD3S (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2179925667.html - broken link)

Or a Viper of the same vintage:
1993 DODGE Viper Red (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ctd/2181415703.html - broken link)

Or a 40th Anniversary Corvette:
1993 CORVETTE 40TH ANNIVERSARY (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/2176583705.html - broken link)

Or a '93 Mustang Cobra:
1993 ford mustang COBRA (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2154201616.html - broken link)

Versus...

A '93 Mustang GT:
1993 Ford Mustang GT, White (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/2177578853.html - broken link)

A '93 Camaro:
1993 Chevrolet Camaro (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/2177775661.html - broken link)

A standard 1993 Corvette:
1993 Corvette Coupe- Open to Trades (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2167702325.html - broken link)

Or a '93 Firebird Formula:
1993 Pontiac Firebird Formula RED , TRANS AM * RUNS GOOD * SUPER CLEAN (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ctd/2179798296.html - broken link)

The rarity makes the value...

Don't plan on selling your 2008 Mustang GT or 2010 Camaro RS to put your kids through college in twenty years - plan on driving the hell out of it and having a great time with it!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Overall I doubt most will be collectibles. They are just too mass produced and if the dealers keep producing them, then there value will continue to fall until a certain point. Also, I think it will depend on the quality of them in 15-25 years. If most are falling apart, it will take someone lots of work to make it decent again. I think there will be enough around tho, both old and new that the values will stay relatively low and reasonable.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The other thing that people should factor in.....there is a HUGE chunk of baby boomers out there that are quite frankly pretty wealthy.

In general, the next generation of retirees and collectors is likely to have less money to spend on *toys*.

This is just an opinion of mine, I think collectibles in general won't be quite as hot of a item as they have been in recent decades.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The other thing that people should factor in.....there is a HUGE chunk of baby boomers out there that are quite frankly pretty wealthy.

In general, the next generation of retirees and collectors is likely to have less money to spend on *toys*.

This is just an opinion of mine, I think collectibles in general won't be quite as hot of a item as they have been in recent decades.
I have to agree the 60's and early 70's was the epitome of when american cars were at their finest and they are getting so wildly expensive these days as the baby boomers who for the most part are the most interested get old, and often times have deep pockets to spend. Likely they will get just so incredibly expensive they will eventually fade like the street rods. However the performance car market will always be there, just change face. For example the 80's fox body mustangs are very popular right now as well as the LS1 F-bodies. These are the cars the next generation remembers and wants to have. The old school big blocks and carburetors will always have their place, but today FI and computers is the new face.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Future value of things like that is a self-defeating prophecy. The more people who expect them to be worth more, the less they will be worth. How many people put their Edsel up on blocks in the barn? How many East Germans thought their Trabant would be the highlight of a car show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive