Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Do you have ANY idea how difficult it would be to clear snow/ice from the top of a 53' trailer that is 13' 6" tall??? Just how expensive do you think it would be to have snow removal equipment at every little drop yard in America??? And the number of Workmen's Comp claims (if the driver survives...) would bankrupt many trucking companies.

Sometimes people need to understand the cost/benefit ratio to ideas before they put them into law...
I worked at a warehouse with truckers for a good while, you wanna know who got most pissed off at truckers who made the mistake of not shoveling the snow off? Other truckers, because they've seen first hand how dangerous it is.

They didn't use anything else than a broom and a shovel, that adds up to what, $10? After big snow falls, we would usually help them out too. I never saw anyone fall off it, just know where you put your feet.

Are you seriously suggesting it's better that people die, than spending an hour clearing off the danger?

This isn't some opinion of mine, it's the opinion of every single trucker I know, that has more than a couple of months behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
A clod of snow flying off a moving vehicle flies in the same direction, at the same speed, as the vehicle. Which means if you are following a van with snow on top at 50 mph, the snow is going 50 when it comes loose, and maybe slows down a little by the time it hits the highway, where it skids along at almost the same speed you are going. Not a significant risk.

If a car is parked when it is already snowing, the first snow that falls on it will be thawed by the interior temperature of the car, and then refreeze as it cools overnight, resulting in a sheet of ice covered by snow. That does not come off by a mere flick of a broom, and besides, who keeps a full-length broom in their car, and a stepstool to get up there to sweep off the top of their minivan?

There is a certain amount of inconvenience associated with winter driving, which would be obvious to you if you lived in a place where snow is a frequent enough occurrence it does not make lead story in the national news. One of the inconveniences is the fact that you have to share the road with people who might not be as fastidious as you are. Avoiding the effects of their behavior will serve you better in the long run than complaining about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I worked at a warehouse with truckers for a good while, you wanna know who got most pissed off at truckers who made the mistake of not shoveling the snow off? Other truckers, because they've seen first hand how dangerous it is.

They didn't use anything else than a broom and a shovel, that adds up to what, $10? After big snow falls, we would usually help them out too. I never saw anyone fall off it, just know where you put your feet.

Are you seriously suggesting it's better that people die, than spending an hour clearing off the danger?

This isn't some opinion of mine, it's the opinion of every single trucker I know, that has more than a couple of months behind the wheel.
How's a trucker supposed to clean off the top of the box bed when your stuck at a truck stop due to a snow storm and when they finally let you go, you have to move it?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Enlighten me... How do you clean off a 14' high, 53' long, fiberglass top trailer with a broom and shovel?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Enlighten me... How do you clean off a 14' high, 53' long, fiberglass top trailer with a broom and shovel?

Don'cha know? You throw a skinny lot lizard up there with a shovel and pay her to do it.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Don'cha know? You throw a skinny lot lizard up there with a shovel and pay her to do it.
The aluminum and fiberglass tops they use are so thin you'll more than likely damage them or fall through. Its not practical and not necessary.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A clod of snow flying off a moving vehicle flies in the same direction, at the same speed, as the vehicle. Which means if you are following a van with snow on top at 50 mph, the snow is going 50 when it comes loose, and maybe slows down a little by the time it hits the highway, where it skids along at almost the same speed you are going. Not a significant risk.

You couldn't be more wrong. So when you spit out of the window does it just hang there out side the window flying along side you?

No it slows down and falls to the ground.

Quote:
How's a trucker supposed to clean off the top of the box bed when your stuck at a truck stop due to a snow storm and when they finally let you go, you have to move it?
Why not? You carry chains, binders, tarps, spear tire, tv. frig, satellite dish, road flares,or reflective triangles, etc etc and all of your personal stuff too. how mosh room will a broom or a shovel take. OR hire someone to do it for you.

Flying ice from truck severely injures motorist

http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/ice_victim_sensitive_612.jpg (broken link)
On Monday morning, Morano was driving his car east on Butterfield Road in Aurora when his windshield was struck by an explosion of snow and ice. As a westbound semitrailer drove under an overpass, a large block of ice flew off the truck top and torpedoed into Morano's windshield.
"The sheet of ice hit directly on the windshield, broke the windshield and sprayed the glass into my face," said Morano, 41, now recovering in his Aurora home.Flying ice from truck severely injures motorist - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/01/peter-morano-aurora-semi-trailer-truck-snow-ice-injury-surgery-stitches-butterfield-road.html - broken link)

Governor Signs Law Preventing Ice And Snow Bombs Flying From Moving Cars

Thank you to Governor John Corzine for signing a law into effect on Tuesday, October 20th placing fines of $25.00 to $75.00 for drivers with “dangerous accumulations” of snow or ice on their cars or trucks. This law is believed to be the first of its kind in the nation and the experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers of Reiff and Bily hope that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other states will soon follow due to the fact that we have represented many catastrophically injured people who have lost control of their car and had a car accident as a result of a snow bomb flying off the roof or rear window of another car in front of them or on the side of them obstructing their vision. We are all too familiar with the case of many people being injured or killed due to car accidents caused by ice and snow flying off cars. It is never a comforting sight to have snow or ice fly into your windshield and obstruct your view and shock the daylights out of you.Governor Signs Law Preventing Ice And Snow Bombs Flying From Moving Cars :: Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer Blog

Man who was hurt by flying ice searching for truck driver

January 13, 2010 6:36 PM

An Aurora man who suffered serious facial injuries after being struck by ice that flew off a truck (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/01/peter-morano-aurora-semi-trailer-truck-snow-ice-injury-surgery-stitches-butterfield-road.html - broken link) this month took legal action today to help find the truck driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8X4...layer_embedded

Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
They certainly make it work through the winters of Norway, I don't see how that'd be a problem over here. You get up on it and use a shovel... what's the difficulty? If it's absolutely impossible, you drive the smallest distance possible to get to a place you can get it off at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Walk up there and start shoveling, what's so hard about that, the fiberglass is usually so slick it comes off easy enough. If you're really lazy and you have a power washer available, you can use that too.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Why not? You carry chains, binders, tarps, spear tire, tv. frig, satellite dish, road flares,or reflective triangles, etc etc and all of your personal stuff too. how mosh room will a broom or a shovel take. OR hire someone to do it for you.
And all the items you listed, other than the tv, frig, satellite dish and spare tire are required by DOT that we must carry. But not a broom or a shovel, that would the call on the company level.
The tops of the trailers are usually thin aluminium or fiberglass that allows sun light inside the trailer, so standing on them is out of the question. And how would expect any driver to get ontop of their trailers anyway? We don't carry ladders and at 14' that's quite a reach.

That would be like saying that all truck driver must go back and pick up every little bit and scrap off the raod from a tire that blew out. Not going to happen and sorry if you were't paying attention enough to see it and drive around it.

So unless every state finds a way to help the driver remove the snow off the top of the trailer, your just going to have to pay closer attention, put down your cell phone, quit texting, take your ear phones out from your MP3 player and watch what going on around you as you drive down the raod.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
What does a cell phone or what any other driver does have to do with you not being a safe and professional or are you trying to change the subject?
I believe they have stations that you drive your rig threw and it de-ices the roof of your trailer,
a PRO would be up to date on their industry.

Your unsafe, if your tire fly's off and hits someone and injures them or damages there car you are responsible for it. It's not an act of god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive