U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,571,515 times
Plus the 'vette comes with a proper manual transmission. I'd venture to guess that the 'vette will hold up better to hard driving, and be cheaper to maintain/repair as necessary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,661,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Looking at a GT-R owners site, they say that the warranty is void if the launch control is used more than 3 times in the LIFE of the car. Basically, the trans as designed cannot handle the launches and will fail at some unknown point in time if the feature is repeatedly used. Nissan set the warranty bar at more than 3, most owners state it's good for an average of 10 before failure.

On top of that, turning off the VDC (aka stability/traction control) and driving for 1 second automatically voids the warranty as well, unless you place the car in "emergency" mode that derates the engine. Others have had their warranties voided for running the car for prolonged periods at high RPM's...like you would on a track. The car is also equipped with the most extensive electronics suites in the automotive world to record EVERYTHING the driver does in order to void warranties when parts fail.

Not to mention, they also actively used the GPS system to void warranties of owners in Japan that entered race tracks.

No...I'm not BS'ing.

The real issue I have with all this besides building features into a car that you can't use without voiding the warranty is that all of their published "records" were made operating the car in a manner that voids the warranty. The 0-60 and quarter mile times were done using launch control. The 'Ring time was achieved with VDC disabled. Heck, their own engineers and execs are shown on multiple ad videos showing how to use launch control to get the times. Basically, the car CAN do those things, but Nissan won't warranty it if you try it at home. Which to me defeats the purpose of buying one as you CANNOT achieve the same numbers without voiding your warranty and being ready to drop $17k on a new tranny.

Nissan compromised on the 2010 model and re-did the launch control to launch the car at 3,000 RPM instead of 4,400 RPM. That increased the 0-60 and quarter mile times by .5 seconds. Driving with VDC off, still voids the warranty. The car is still fast, but at 4 seconds 0-60 and 12.0 in the quarter, it isn't nearly as jaw dropping as the 2009 was. Now, I know the car isn't all about drag racing, but the simple fact that you can never achieve the best on-track performance by turning off VDC without voiding the warranty, is a non-starter to me.

I'd personally take a Z06, run to 60 in 3.7 and hit the quarter in 11.6, have better on track performance versus a VDC enabled GT-R and save myself about $30k and not worry about my warranty as GM is happy to not nit-pick on Corvette owners and try to deny them the 5yr/100k mile warranty for driving the car like it was intended.
It seems your contention is with the warranty and not the vehicle itself.

I take bigger issue with the fact that the car can only be launched a few times before the transmission fails.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,030,358 times
I wonder what the insurance will be for someone under 35 years old....5000/6000/10,000 a year I bet...lol

Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,633,086 times
Quote:
Looking at a GT-R owners site, they say that the warranty is void if the launch control is used more than 3 times in the LIFE of the car. Basically, the trans as designed cannot handle the launches and will fail at some unknown point in time if the feature is repeatedly used. Nissan set the warranty bar at more than 3, most owners state it's good for an average of 10 before failure.

On top of that, turning off the VDC (aka stability/traction control) and driving for 1 second automatically voids the warranty as well, unless you place the car in "emergency" mode that derates the engine. Others have had their warranties voided for running the car for prolonged periods at high RPM's...like you would on a track. The car is also equipped with the most extensive electronics suites in the automotive world to record EVERYTHING the driver does in order to void warranties when parts fail.

Not to mention, they also actively used the GPS system to void warranties of owners in Japan that entered race tracks.

No...I'm not BS'ing.

The real issue I have with all this besides building features into a car that you can't use without voiding the warranty is that all of their published "records" were made operating the car in a manner that voids the warranty. The 0-60 and quarter mile times were done using launch control. The 'Ring time was achieved with VDC disabled. Heck, their own engineers and execs are shown on multiple ad videos showing how to use launch control to get the times. Basically, the car CAN do those things, but Nissan won't warranty it if you try it at home. Which to me defeats the purpose of buying one as you CANNOT achieve the same numbers without voiding your warranty and being ready to drop $17k on a new tranny.

Nissan compromised on the 2010 model and re-did the launch control to launch the car at 3,000 RPM instead of 4,400 RPM. That increased the 0-60 and quarter mile times by .5 seconds. Driving with VDC off, still voids the warranty. The car is still fast, but at 4 seconds 0-60 and 12.0 in the quarter, it isn't nearly as jaw dropping as the 2009 was. Now, I know the car isn't all about drag racing, but the simple fact that you can never achieve the best on-track performance by turning off VDC without voiding the warranty, is a non-starter to me.

I'd personally take a Z06, run to 60 in 3.7 and hit the quarter in 11.6, have better on track performance versus a VDC enabled GT-R and save myself about $30k and not worry about my warranty as GM is happy to not nit-pick on Corvette owners and try to deny them the 5yr/100k mile warranty for driving the car like it was intended.
Fair enough, personally I don't think all those warranty voids are as silly as you do. (Take cost into the picture here, comparably to the 911 turbo for instance), personally I just want to drive it though, I don't necessarily need to own it, just want to try it a few laps of Laguna or the Ring and a little bit on a highway somewhere.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM

4,982 posts, read 5,836,225 times
Actually the 2012 model has Launch Control functionality that is completely covered by warranty. There is no technical limit to how many times its used but the car's ECU doesn't allow you to enable it for some period of time after three consequences Launch Control assisted launches (nothing major). They say its to protect the driver but its obviously there to allow the transmission to cool properly. Although the Z06's 3.7s 0-60 is great, a sub 3 second time is significantly better. Heck, I like both cars quite a bit but I'll take the GT-R over just about any Corvette.

They have also revised the suspension, added some additional bracing, and added better materials to the 2012 version. It looks to be a solid set of improvements on an already well performing sports car.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM

35,630 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Quote:
It's an impressive car, but I would still personally prefer something that requires a little more driver ability. Have they sorted out the transmission issues? If they still have a warning that using the launch control will void the warranty, that to me is a no-go.
Launch control use is now covered under warranty. The article states that after 4 launches within a short period of time (don't remember if they said how short a period) the car has to be driven modestly for 1.5 miles before it can be engaged again.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM

2,875 posts, read 4,164,048 times
Meh, GT-R is ugly and no manual. I can't wait to read all of the posts with people grenading their trannys with the extra HP.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM

4,982 posts, read 5,836,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Meh, GT-R is ugly and no manual. I can't wait to read all of the posts with people grenading their trannys with the extra HP.
I'd say that any individual who gets excited in anticipation of hearing about something breaking should probably find something more useful to do with their life.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 PM

2,875 posts, read 4,164,048 times
Just google "gt-r transmission" and you will see a lot of people FIGHTING Nissan to get their transmission fixed under warranty, which is a $20k+ bill. You can't but help hope the GT-R fails.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM

35,630 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Just google "gt-r transmission" and you will see a lot of people FIGHTING Nissan to get their transmission fixed under warranty, which is a $20k+ bill. You can't but help hope the GT-R fails.
What a dicky mindset.

What a true car enthusiast would wish for instead is for Nissan to man up so that these people aren't holding a $20,000 bag, and then wish for a more durable transmission this time around so that there won't be more people holding a $20,000 bag in the future. To actually hope there are more people with fried transmissions is a jagstick thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive