Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times

Advertisements

Don't rice it out, you don't own a Honda. What you should do first is tidy up the supension with maybe Eibach springs and TRD sway bars if possible. The car is fast enough, 0-60 in high 5s, low 6s so invest in some really good tires like Michelin PS2s for better grip and traction.

Try here
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007+) - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

There is also a TRD Toyota Aurion in Australia we don't get with over 300hp from a S/C, its their version of the Camry
Toyota launches TRD Aurion

The V-6 Camry is indeed a sleeper, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
When you do decide to upgrade your car, keep all of the "raceboy" antics on the track and off of public streets.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM

41 posts, read 153,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Alas, it's driving the wrong wheels. Torque steer is already an issue - adding more power is only going to make it worse.

To the OP ... if you want a sleeper, start with something that came with less power. Like a Volvo 240 station wagon. These started with 114 hp; it's doing over 4 times that now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_Y74jvMZk

V8 engine swaps into RWD Volvos.
JTR Volvo 200 Series V-8 Conversion
Converse Engineering: Home of the "Volv8"

I said it's a useful body configuration because its still carries plenty of cargo or people if needed and has four doors so you're not sliding the seat up everytime you have more than two passengers. I think if the OP was as serious as some of you suggest he should get with this, like buying old cars and swapping engines and all, he would of done that in the first place. To me, people like the OP are why there are factory tuner versions of cars like svt, trd, nismo, amg, m-series, so buyers can buy cars already tuned without doing it themselves.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Don't need to do much to your Camry. Suspension components (springs, sway bars, etc), better tires, and a chip programmer. No big azz wing, no bolt on plastic ground effects, no stickers wrapped around the entire car, and no neon or LED lights under the car or on the dashboard.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 AM

780 posts, read 2,924,920 times
Funny thread !

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't need to do much to your Camry. Suspension components (springs, sway bars, etc), better tires, and a chip programmer. No big azz wing, no bolt on plastic ground effects, no stickers wrapped around the entire car, and no neon or LED lights under the car or on the dashboard.
Oh man! I could make a hell of poseur ride with all that s*!@.

Thanks for the ideas, for and against!

Honestly, I was going to get a Challenger RT; sadly my practical side won out and I went with the cheaper, slightly slower and more family friendly Camry (I've got 3 little kids to tote around too).

Seriously, though I was shocked when I test-drove the Camry soon after the Challenger and felt how minimal the difference in performance was. Sure the Challenger could have been tuned to be a real monster, but it was about 15K more in price and a *sudenly nauseous* Dodge.

Last edited by Chango; 02-02-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
what I was saying that a garden variety non turbo regal with a flat hood and hubcaps would be lots cheaper. Then buy a TR drivetrain and drop it in. Engine to 8.5" rear.. leave the flat hood, no spoiler and hubcaps there.. I know a few guys who have done this and it turned out really good.. and cheap
Frank I know what you mean. Before I bought my 87 T, I had an 84 Regal 2 door grandma model...had the carbed 2 bbl 3.8 and metric 200C auto and the Buick mags. (see pic of it at bottom) I was originally going to V8 it, then I decided to try going turbo 6 power. Once I got on turbobuicks.com and asked about how to covert it, I was quickly advised to sell it and buy a turbo Buick, as the amount of labor I'd spend doing the conversion plus parts chasing, I'd be miles ahead buying an actual turbo car since they did make 2 door turbo cars.

Now one thing I do want to do when i get the money and time...is to find a G body Regal wagon built from 1981-83, and drop an entire 86-87 Grand National drivetrain into it...with an alky kit and a whisper quiet exhaust. I'd even keep the luggage rack and faux woodgrain on the sides....I'd keep the car as close to stock looking as possible...no one would ever think twice that there was something lurking under the hood...would make a great sleeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Toyota Camry as a street racer...-regal-007.jpg   Building a Toyota Camry as a street racer...-regal-005.jpg   Building a Toyota Camry as a street racer...-regal-003.jpg  

Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
What? Not one word about doing this to a Smart Car?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

Now one thing I do want to do when i get the money and time...is to find a G body Regal wagon built from 1981-83, and drop an entire 86-87 Grand National drivetrain into it...with an alky kit and a whisper quiet exhaust. I'd even keep the luggage rack and faux woodgrain on the sides....I'd keep the car as close to stock looking as possible...no one would ever think twice that there was something lurking under the hood...would make a great sleeper.
That reminds me of an automotive dream of mine: take an 80s El Camino, put in an Olds interior, and convert it into a 442 or a Hurst/Olds. It can't be that hard as all those cars and trucks were so badge-engineered I'd imagine it would all bolt right on.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Like other's have already said, you are going to run into problems getting the power to the ground. I don't think there's any way to get a limited slip on to one of those cars, but I could be wrong. I doubt theres one for the automatic. Maybe get some Lexus GS wheels and the widest tires you can fit under the car and still be flush with the body work, concentrate on springs with higher spring rates and stiffer struts so you can get the power down as best you can.

But honestly, this is the last platform I would choose if I was going for some sort of sleeper street racer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion