U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 14,769 times

Advertisements

I ran over something that destroyed the two tires on the left. The Sears guy told me that, since I have all wheel drive, the treads on all four tires must match and that I must buy four tires. He refused to sell and install only two tires.

My two remaining good tires have treads that are different from each other, and one or both have asymmetrical treads.

My car is a 2003 Subaru Legacy station wagon (not SUV).

Answers from people who know what they are talking about will be much appreciated.

Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM

258 posts, read 504,480 times
Tire Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive Vehicles

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 PM

8,336 posts, read 22,614,083 times
Your Sears Tire guy is right, he'd be putting them in a situation of being liable for the possible damage to your car by putting on only two tires that didn't match the other two.

Subie is rather specific about keeping all of the tires matched within a fairly small tolerance.

Check your owner's manual and you'll see the spec for yourself.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,336,265 times
A friend had an Audi A4 AWD and blew a tire. The dealer wouldn't replace only one tire and made him buy (only) two, because this brought the 4 tires into spec. They cited the "Haldex coupling" which is apparently the AWD differential, for the reasons given above.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,318,529 times
Like others have stated, you're gonna need a full new set to avoid damage to the AWD system, just sell the two good ones used, and it won't be as bad of a loss.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,981,697 times
You may fall within the tolerances. Use a tailor's measuring tape to determine the circumference of your old tires and compare to that of new ones. You will never know until you check and no point in wasting money. Make sure they are properly inflated before you measure.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 PM

13,067 posts, read 14,744,731 times
Not only the four tires must match all the way around, but the 4 Nokian tires on the Suzuki Sidekick I drive have an arrow each that points the correct tire rotation. In this case, the arrow indicates that these snow tires should be installed on the vehicle so that the arrow points forward. Not all tires are marked like that, however. Some treads are quite aggressive and interfere with the steering and traction if installed improperly.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM

29 posts, read 59,183 times
yes your tires do have to match.
my drive tran is damaged a bit because i ran mismatched tires for 2 years

i now have 4 matching BFG Tires on it.

not just the Size of the tire, the tread depth as well.
that's the only down fall to the AWD vehicles.

i have to have AWD so this down fall I'm willing to take.

so when your tire goes flat or gets a hole you either.

repair the tire
or
Replace all 4 (blow out..then this is your option)

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

6,854 posts, read 22,094,858 times
If there is ever a time or reason to buy "Road Hazard Insurance", having an all-wheel drive vehicle would be it.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM

15,203 posts, read 7,651,051 times
size wise all four tires have to match with four wheel, or all wheel drive. best o have the tread patterns match also. do yourself a big favor and buy four tires the same size as your spare tire(if you have one and it is a normal size spare, not the doughnut style spare tire.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive