Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about things like:
  • Blind-Spot Monitoring
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Forward or Rear Collision Warning
  • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
  • Lane-Departure Warning
  • Lane-Keeping Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Backup Camera

I don't want any of these, but it seems like more and more car makers are putting these on most or all of their new cars. Which makers/models (if any) offer these as options you can choose to leave off rather than standard features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 12:50 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,322,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
  • Blind-Spot Monitoring
  • Lane-Departure Warning
  • Lane-Keeping Assist
  • Backup Camera

I don't want any of these, but it seems like more and more car makers are putting these on most or all of their new cars. Which makers/models (if any) offer these as options you can choose to leave off rather than standard features?

Some of those are required by law now (like the back up camera) so you're not going to get any cars that don't have at least some of these.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Seems like most new cars offer all of these features. Not all as a standard but at least as an option. I personally don't like any of these features except for the backup camera.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
Backup cameras are somewhat useful, as they let you see what is immediately behind the car (where mirrors can't), but I don't like relying on them to actually back up, as I don't have a very good sense of depth/distance staring at a 2D screen. The problem I've seen is that, with several cars I've driven that have backup cameras, they seem to think you don't need as much visibility out the back window and side mirrors now, so they don't worry as much about blind spots and things obstructing your view.

Some of these other features I have found to be annoying or downright dangerous, such as when the car slams on the brakes on its own when it decided I'm too close to someone, or when I'm trying to change lanes and it jerks me back into the lane I was in.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 PM

195 posts, read 274,272 times
Ferrari's.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Some of these other features I have found to be annoying or downright dangerous, such as when I'm trying to change lanes and it jerks me back into the lane I was in.
Duuuuhhhh
If you would have turned on your change lane signal (it is usually a little stick on the left side of your steering wheel...), the car knows what you are about to do ...

So.../?

Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Tata.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:33 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Backup camera is mandated now.

As for the others, usually the base model of a particular vehicle don't have them. However, most dealers tend to not stock these cars because options sell, and they can make more money off them. You may have to go to the manufacturers site and "build your vehicle" to see what features are standard, and what comes in the higher level packages.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
  • Blind-Spot Monitoring
  • Lane-Departure Warning
  • Lane-Keeping Assist
  • Backup Camera

Maybe you've explained why you don't want these features. Initially, I didn't like them either. But after getting used to them and understanding how to take advantage of them, I have changed my tune. The additional safety and convenience outweighs the pain of the learning curve.

The one argument you can make against these features is their reliability. The more complex the system, the more ways for it to fail. And some of the ways these can fail will lead to great expense and early demise of the vehicle.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
  • Blind-Spot Monitoring
  • Lane-Departure Warning
  • Lane-Keeping Assist
  • Backup Camera

In the USA the backup camera is a federal mandate.

The rest of the items you can turn off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive