Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
They should come out with a limited run of CTS Sixteens then. I'm guessing/hoping the ATS line will be rwd. I'm surprised it has taken this long for Caddy to have another convertible. I'm sure by now they won't make the same mistakes they did with the Allante and XLR.

I do like wagons, but really there aren't too many I'd add to the stable. The ones I would want would be a real Woody, Nomad, hearse, and maybe the right 50s era hardtop. A Firebird or Vette wagon would be cool, but again I'd much rather a vert or coupe.
The ATS is going to ride on the new Alpha RWD platform. A stretched version of Alpha will aslo underpin the next CTS. Alpha is also slated to replace Zeta in the Camaro, which is a real positive as Alpha is slotted to weigh a lot less than the current Zeta car. Rumor is the Camaro will ring in at 3,300-3,400 pounds on Alpha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My point about not being about what people wanted, was really directed at the time frame of the original introduction of the standards back in the 70's. Since that time, marketing to a large extent has made the wagon "uncool" because automakers didn't want to build them since they couldn't easily accomodate large wagons within the standards for the car fleet. Suddenly all the commercials were about families driving minivans and then SUV's.

If anything with the changing standards and rising fuel prices, I actually see the possibility for a wagon resurgence. In fact, there sort of already is one going on as a large number of "crossovers" are decidedly wagonesque.
I don't consider crossovers to be "wagonesque", I think they are "SUVesque". But I do sense a little bit of a comeback too, at least I feel like I am seeing more true wagons on the road today than I did a few years ago, although they are mostly European vehicles. Interestingly, the CAFE standard probably drove the exact opposite of what it was meant to achieve. Instead of comparatively fuel efficient wagons, it drove the automakers to build large SUVs to accommodate families with needs for lots of space, which actually made overall fleet fuel efficiency worst.

For real wagons (not CUVs), fuel efficiency also really isn't any different than the sedan counterpart. Take the difference in mpg between an Audi A4/A6 sedan and wagon or between a BMW 3/5 series sedan and wagon. With the same engines and configuration, they have the same mpg or differ by only 1 mpg.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
I don't consider crossovers to be "wagonesque", I think they are "SUVesque". But I do sense a little bit of a comeback too, at least I feel like I am seeing more true wagons on the road today than I did a few years ago, although they are mostly European vehicles. Interestingly, the CAFE standard probably drove the exact opposite of what it was meant to achieve. Instead of comparatively fuel efficient wagons, it drove the automakers to build large SUVs to accommodate families with needs for lots of space, which actually made overall fleet fuel efficiency worst.

For real wagons (not CUVs), fuel efficiency also really isn't any different than the sedan counterpart. Take the difference in mpg between an Audi A4/A6 sedan and wagon or between a BMW 3/5 series sedan and wagon. With the same engines and configuration, they have the same mpg or differ by only 1 mpg.
You are absolutely right. Over the term of the old CAFE era, national fuel economy actually decreased, especially during the SUV boom years of the mid-90's to mid-00's.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
They should come out with a limited run of CTS Sixteens then.
What would that be? The Sixteen was the show car flagship. It would not make sense to produce a product that mixes that with their bread and butter car.

Quote:
I'm guessing/hoping the ATS line will be rwd.
Yes.

Quote:
I'm surprised it has taken this long for Caddy to have another convertible. I'm sure by now they won't make the same mistakes they did with the Allante and XLR.
The ATS convertible will be considerably down market from the XLR. Like less then half the price. It is just as hotly contested a market because there's only one clear winner - the BMW 3 series. No one else comes close to selling as many convertibles in that range as they do. So its not something you just rush in to half cocked. The XLR was a decent vehicle but decent isn't enough to topple the juggernaut in that segment, which is the Mercedes SL - again, no one else comes close to selling as many convertibles in that segment as they do.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
Yeah that's true even though the CTS seems to be most popular. Regardless a limited run of Sixteens would be real cool.

I knew the ATS vert wouldn't be near the XLR especially since the XLR's price was beyond itself. XLR pricing was close to Vipers, ZR1s, GT40s too and Caddy was still in the process of revitalizing its image in the luxury car market. I don't even think an XLR would do much better now or anytime soon as two seaters aren't selling as well nowadays.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
For the record, the CTS-V wagon is one of my dream cars (dream wagon just doesn't sound quite right lol).

Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
One of my ultimate dream cars is a black Buick Roadmaster wagon...

Pref. with a built LS6...

Also, the Nissan Stagea, which was never sold here... uses the RWD Laurel chassis which itself is related to the Skyline, so while most were shipped with the naturally-aspirated RB25DE 2.5 inline six, you could easily swap in the turboed version, or better yet, the RB26DETT out of the Skyline GTR! If you'd purchased one with AWD, then you more or less have a Skyline GTR wagon.

The later Stagea uses the same chassis as the Skyline, sold as the Infiniti G35 over here:

Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
A Roadmaster Estate woody would be a preferable big family car. Definitely over a SUV. As far as one being blacked out, I'd much rather an Impala SS clone on a Caprice wagon.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
A Roadmaster Estate woody would be a preferable big family car. Definitely over a SUV. As far as one being blacked out, I'd much rather an Impala SS clone on a Caprice wagon.
yeah a early to mid 90's impala SS clone wagon with a corvette sourced LT-1 would be pretty decent as the family hauler

Last edited by GTOlover; 02-18-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
Quote:
Did you guys see the Top Gear America episode with the Roadmaster in it? They did a rendering of a mock 2011 version of the Roadmaster. Now that is a Buick I'd definitely be interested in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive