Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. wiseguyman, Best Buy doesn't do free installs with units over $100 bucks. Checked into it and they stopped doing it a while back.

Now for this awesome response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Gotta say it bugs me when people say:

1. "I was given a price of x, but that's too much money. I know absolutely nothing about what this project requires, and have no reference whatsoever for pricing, but that's too much money".

2. "They're going to charge me $30-$70 for parts, and even though I have no freakin idea what parts may or may not be needed. that's too expensive".

3. "I have a low income, so all pricing should be tailored to my needs, regardless of what parts and labor are actually required".

Rant ended.

OP-get it done by a pro. Save up your pennies if necessary. If you and your buddies know nothing about it, which is obviously the case, pay a pro and be done with it. Blindly cobbling together parts and hiring some jackleg off CL is not going to be a good option for you.
Yeah I said that places should tailor their prices to my income Honestly did you really need to reply to be snooty to make yourself feel better? And yes I checked into things.....I will need a harness and a few extra parts so guess I do have a "frickin" idea. As for the first, I did research online to find this info. Nice 0-3 buddy. If you can't refrain from the jackass comments, perhaps you shouldn't comment at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:24 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. wiseguyman, Best Buy doesn't do free installs with units over $100 bucks. Checked into it and they stopped doing it a while back.

Now for this awesome response:

Yeah I said that places should tailor their prices to my income Honestly did you really need to reply to be snooty to make yourself feel better? And yes I checked into things.....I will need a harness and a few extra parts so guess I do have a "frickin" idea. As for the first, I did research online to find this info. Nice 0-3 buddy. If you can't refrain from the jackass comments, perhaps you shouldn't comment at all.
Then why did you mention your income at all? Obviously you had a reason for bringing it up. No one wants to pay more than necessary, so you're not in any special group just because you earn less than some others. But some people do realize that stepping over a dollar to get to a nickel is a bad idea. Guess what? The going rate for professional install is what it is, and some parts are necessary, and those numbers will not change because you are a social worker, a pilot, Paris Hilton, or anyone else.

How did you come to the conclusion that $50 is too high for an install, and that the parts were also too expensive?

I've been on both sides of the counter for many years. And I became very jaded by people telling me that everything was priced too high, when in fact they had no idea what the going rate for things is, and more often than not were comparing apples to sidewalks. For instance, when "you heard" (was this a conversation at the water cooler you "heard" as you walked by?) that BB charges $30-$70 for parts, did you have any idea exactly what they charge for your car? Apparently not, or you wouldn't have given that wide range of possible costs. It could be much higher than that depending on the vehicle. It could also be lower than $30. But you don't actually know, do you? But yet you say it's too much money.

Yes, I do feel better now. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Crutchfield is o.k., sometimes....

My suggestion is go here....Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers

You can learn more on this web page than you can on any other web page for car stereo....check out the forum section and read up on "how to install" these guys are great, and they will take care of you....

You can learn to do a simple install or add multiple amps and subs on that page....or go for sq....these guys do it all....and they will help, not complain.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
.and they will help, not complain.
Ouch.

Everyone has their buttons. This thread pushed mine.

That site is excellent for people at all levels of experience.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:
Then why did you mention your income at all? Obviously you had a reason for bringing it up. No one wants to pay more than necessary, so you're not in any special group just because you earn less than some others. But some people do realize that stepping over a dollar to get to a nickel is a bad idea. Guess what? The going rate for professional install is what it is, and some parts are necessary, and those numbers will not change because you are a social worker, a pilot, Paris Hilton, or anyone else.

How did you come to the conclusion that $50 is too high for an install, and that the parts were also too expensive?

I've been on both sides of the counter for many years. And I became very jaded by people telling me that everything was priced too high, when in fact they had no idea what the going rate for things is, and more often than not were comparing apples to sidewalks. For instance, when "you heard" (was this a conversation at the water cooler you "heard" as you walked by?) that BB charges $30-$70 for parts, did you have any idea exactly what they charge for your car? Apparently not, or you wouldn't have given that wide range of possible costs. It could be much higher than that depending on the vehicle. It could also be lower than $30. But you don't actually know, do you? But yet you say it's too much money.

Yes, I do feel better now. Thank you.
Simply put......not all of us make a ton of cash at what we do for a living. Why not express cost reluctance if you are in position not to spend a bunch of cash? Get off your high horse and stop making wild assumptions (which you are doing a ton without knowing the full details)........ You're basically trolling at this point.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 02-19-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Ouch.

Everyone has their buttons. This thread pushed mine.

That site is excellent for people at all levels of experience.
This thread pushed your buttons.....really?

all of 17 posts....

I would hate to see you in a political thread...

Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This thread pushed your buttons.....really?

all of 17 posts....

I would hate to see you in a political thread...
If I'd been involved in politics as deeply and as long as I have the topics (and related topics) in this thread, I'd have some issues there too. When you earn your living dealing with people, from the "other side of the counter", you develop a certain mindset. Certain attitudes are directly detrimental to that mindset and my income. I take issue with those attitudes.

But just like discussing politics, nothing I say will make any difference to anyone. Sorry for getting off topic.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
I have installed a few systems in my day. I bought a new vehicle 3 years ago and wanted to upgrade to something better. I searched and found crutchfield. I got a decent unit that fits my vehicle, and plugs that connect to the factory harness. There is a little wiring involved, but a whole lot easier than wiring up the whole thing. If your not to sure about tearing into your dash. I was even sent a pic by pic of the process, not generic pics, but pics of my exact vehicle. Took about 2 hours to complete. My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive